Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby Miro » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Mr O´Leary has a slightly different take on things, as usual: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0 ... air-plans/
He also makes fairly good points re: social distancing. https://onemileatatime.com/ryanair-ceo- ... istancing/ TBH, leaving the middle seat empty isn't going to achieve much, is it?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:01 pm

I agree Miro it won't...I don't even know how that would work with families and little kids...I expect a lot will change until the CV is totally under control...If holidays/flights do go ahead from July onward's then there will be passengers who booked to go before the start of this virus who certainly will not wish to go so soon after a lock down and with restrictions in place, it's not going to be the holiday any of them envisaged...Not sure how they will stand, if they cancel they will lose their money unless they are given options but i wouldn't bet on it..

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:02 pm

El Cid wrote: Taking a holiday in your home country will do wonders for the UK holiday industry and similar in other countries.

Sid
I only holiday in my own country, Spain, but with the hotels possibly being closed for some time how do I manage it?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:03 pm

Get a tent Gerry. :lol:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:14 pm

My plans on getting back to my habitual home in Spain centre around driving.

I think shares in a motorhome company would be a good bet. Their popularity will soar.

Would I fly on a plane that might have infected people on it? Not keen on the idea unless everyone is two metres apart. That isn't going to happen as the plane would only be about a fifth of full load. I suspect that air travel will only take off again properly when vaccination is a reality and testing is readily available. How many people would submit to giving a blood sample at check in to have the possibility of flying that day? What would a family of four do if one tested positive? On the plane will they disinfect the toilet after every use? I would suggest no.

I hate myself for saying it but these suggestions of chipping people or having an app to track them coupled with paperwork will gain in popularity in the meantime. Sadly once introduced governments will be reluctant to let go their hold of the populace as has been demonstrated times and not just in countries like China.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:38 pm

gerryh wrote:
El Cid wrote: Taking a holiday in your home country will do wonders for the UK holiday industry and similar in other countries.

Sid
I only holiday in my own country, Spain, but with the hotels possibly being closed for some time how do I manage it?
Cheers
Gerry

Camiando de Santiago ??

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:50 pm

A motor home is a brilliant idea! Self-isolating on wheels. I was wondering how to safely visit my parents when restrictions are lifted. Olive, you are a genius. How much is a small motor home, then?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:54 pm

not pouring cold water but there are not many places you can park a motorhome - at least not without daily charges which can be high.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:57 pm

Some neighbours rented a motorhome from a place in granada the week before the lockdown. 5 of them drove around the north. The motorhome was only 90 euros a day huge and incredibly high spec very impressive. certainly cheaper than a hotel.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Lavanda wrote:A motor home is a brilliant idea! Self-isolating on wheels. I was wondering how to safely visit my parents when restrictions are lifted. Olive, you are a genius. How much is a small motor home, then?
There is a lot of money to be made as well as lost from this crisis.

How much? Well old motorhomes can be had for £1000 but for the opulence we have become accustomed to you would probably spend upwards of 50,000. annual vehicle tax, insurance and ITV costs plus maintenance to factor in. On the plus side you are fairly certain no one else has contaminated the area beforehand. Not a cheap holiday but for the next twelve months very practical. If you ever find a secluded picturesque spot , you can guarantee at least one campervan there and not paying charges. You only need to do that periodically when you have to empty your own toilet (yes , but it is reasonably straightforward) and to take on board water and have a mains electric hook up.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:19 pm

Just in case someone says not possible to get one for £1000 here is one, admittedly with a few days to go. no toilet on board but porta potti is a cheap alternative. Ready to go but in the wrong country. :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/talbot-expre ... Sw7z5emGjY

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:43 am

That's a very encouraging link, Olive, thanks. I shall do lots of research, of course, but there are lots of places in Extremadura, for example, where motorhomes park in quiet spots for days on end enjoying the countryside. Proserpina lake, 10km north of Mérida is a favourite place. If I go to the UK via off-motorway routes I feel reasonable confident. If it takes me a week to do the journey, I'm not bothered — I'm retired. Once I get there I can park it in my Dad's driveway. Then, the world is my oyster! I really love this idea.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:05 am

A friend drives down to his house here in his motorhome to spend the winter each year (he has a car at his Spanish house to use). He has dogs and it works very well for him. He left for the UK just after the lockdown started and managed to get back to England OK despite being stopped a few times. I don't think you'd be able to do that journey at the moment.

There was a story in the EWN about a man who was stuck in his motorhome by the side of the road as the campsites are all shut. It sounded pretty miserable https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/04/ ... veals-all/

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:42 pm

I agree with wicksey's comment, I would imagine that a motor home would certainly attract the attention of the police especially at this time !

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:00 pm

Just check your licence - a relative bought a motorhome and said I could borrow it. It is not a Winnebago but bigger than the small camper vans, but my Spanish licence has lost the group that covers these - C1 I think. Maybe this is down to age or something because in the UK I have hired 3.5 tonne tail-lift lorries with no problem.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:50 pm

I don't plan on going until we are allowed to move around a bit. I have a 16-seater minibus driving licence and currently drive a 9-seater vehicle. I shall make plans and not be hasty BUT how nice you all are to be so helpful and interested. Besos y abrazos.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:03 pm

Sanchez wants another two weeks. might aswell make it 6 months and get it over with :crazy: !They might let the kids go out at last though! How kind of them :roll:

https://elpais.com/

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:40 pm

I find it quite puzzling how compliant people have been whilst their human rights have been virtually reduced to zero.
Whether it is right or wrong, expecting people to stay in their homes for months on end is a big ask. Perhaps they are all 100% convinced by the stay home, save lives mantra.
Or is it just that people are really very law abiding and will do whatever the government tell them?
This is true across Europe, although I know there were a few dissenters in Italy.
I saw that in Madrid, where the virus has had its worst effects, 1 in 1,000 of the population have died.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:35 pm

If they are so compliant, how come the police have issued 600000 fines so far?

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:44 pm

The one in a thousand is under lockdown. What would the situation have been like had there not been restrictions? One of the reasons it took hold in Madrid was the 120,000 Woman's day march a week before the lockdown.

Human rights can mean many things including the right to life, The friends and families of the one in a thousand might be feeling that the lockdown should have been started earlier and those who contract it in the next months might be relieved that it wasn't allowed to go spiralling out of control in a situation where the health system cannot cope.