Malaga or Alicante or somewhere else????

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
MilkyWay
Tourist

Malaga or Alicante or somewhere else????

Postby MilkyWay » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:29 pm

Hi,

Thank you to all keeping this forum so active and support each other.

I’m originally from German but relocated to the UK in 2008. I’ve had a really fantastic time her, have met nice people and made some great friendships but now it is time to move on and relocate to Spain. By the way I’m just at the start of planning and will give myself at least one year before relocating.

Would like to move in an area where already a British expats community is. The reason why I’m asking is that I’ll come on my own and to be honest I’m a little bit scared that I would feel very lonely  so I would like to move somewhere I could maybe join any leisure groups or so.

I've found out there are some in and around Malaga and also Alicante. Does anybody knows if that is true?

Thank you so much for reading my post and I would be very thankfully for each comment.

Thank you in advance.

Christine

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Malaga or Alicante or somewhere else????

Postby costakid » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:35 pm

Welcome to the forum. I would hold fire until these uncertain times have stabilised.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi MilkWay, This forum mainly has people living or owning property in Andalucia so if you wish to know about ex pat communities in Alicante then there will be other forums you could visit or join in order to get the information you hope for.
I am not sure how many forum members on here live in ex pat communities, i'm sure there will be some so perhaps your post will be seen...When you have the information you seek why not take a months long holiday when such times permit and familiarise yourself with any areas which you may be drawn to. Visit a few bars and try to get to know people, ask questions and just generally get a feel for the area and the people, that way you will know if you really still want to move..

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:35 pm

Lots of research on the net. Mark out towns/ areas that suit your needs and take your fancy then take lots of "holidays" at diff times of the year in the areas you have decided on to see which you like. You can do all the research you want online but theres nothing like seeing somewhere in person

MilkyWay
Tourist

Postby MilkyWay » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:58 am

Thank you so much for your replies it really helps. I'll do what you have said coming on holidays, after the Corona disaster. I could manage a heat at around 30 degrees and as I've seen on internet Alicante is OK so will go there and check the area :-)

Will use the lock down time to get more information in this forum and to learn vocabularies :-) By the way I use this website for the pronunciation https://www.******** but actually don't know if it is the right one, because it doesn't make sense when I learn the Spanish language with a wrong accent :-0

Thank you once again you are brilliant
Christine

Link removed, Rule 2-1. ADC Moderator

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Malaga or Alicante or somewhere else??

Postby katy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:36 am

so you just wanted to place an ad not info :roll:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:45 pm

A shame when new members try to bend the rules. They seem to come along asking info 3 or 4 at a time so I am always a septic.

MilkyWay
Tourist

Postby MilkyWay » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Oh no no no sorry Can't believe that I have been so stupid
sorry sorry sorry I really did not want to place an ad I'm just a normal person and not a sales person or something with working in marketing I'm actually a support worker working with people with learning disabilities. It was really a mistake that I have done it without thinking.

May I ask what I could/should do so that people believe me I mean we all make mistakes and believe me this will never happen again sorry.#

Christine

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:20 pm

Don't worry about it, Christine.
I personally thought it was a genuine question, and link to a URL, about learning Spanish.
If you to live in some parts of Andalucia then you might have difficulty in understanding some of the locals.
My wife worked in a charity shop and if she, correctly, said the price of an item was dos euro she would be "corrected" to say "do"
Most of the Andalucian speakers leave the ends of words.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

MilkyWay
Tourist

Postby MilkyWay » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Thank you Gerry I hope the others will forgive me too.

That is interesting I think I just keep learning and hope it will be fine :-) My English was very bad when I came to the UK and the first months really hard but now it is OK.

Thank you once again and greetings from sunny Paignton
Christine

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:57 pm

When people begin learning Spanish the whole emphasis is on Castillilan. Much like English there are lots of regional variations e.g in Andalucia and Murcia you will rarely hear an "s" sound, as Gerry says "dos cervezas" becomes "do serbeth", with the s almost thrown away as well.
Think Barnsley English, or Brummie, or Scouse or estuary English and you get the idea.
I took Spanish lessons at Instituto Cervantes in Leeds before we moved, and the teacher (who came from Malaga) knew where I was heading to live, and every so often would break off and say "and for you Peter it will be xxxxx". Even after ten years I could be totally bewildered by some of what our neighbours said, particularly if they did not have their teeth in!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:32 pm

Im not sure what i have more trouble with. Understanding people here or when i worked with ppl from barnsley in the uk :crazy: : :lol:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:13 pm

east of malaga it can be like listening to Kenny Dalgleish on a bad day.

MilkyWay
Tourist

Postby MilkyWay » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:44 am

Ha haha yes it can be difficult with the accents or slangs. I remember when I came to the UK and people said to me "See you later" and I thought that is strange why I should see them later I even don't know the name or have the mobile number :-) I think I just carry on learning the vocabularies and hope it will be OK. I'll do some courses and maybe I'm so lucky like you peteroldracer and have such a good teacher. Thanks a lot to all and I can write again Greeting from SUNNY Paignton :-)
Christine