Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:22 pm

Can we please get back to the subject of the Virus and how it affects us in Spain. Complaining about what the UK government is doing or not doing is not relevant. All further posts about the UK situation, unless it has a direct relevance to Spain will be deleted without notice.

I would really hate to have to close this thread as it is a subject close to all of us here in Spain.

It's in all your interests for this thread to continue, so please take notice of what I and Beachcomber have said.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:44 pm

Sorry. I got confused. The thread title is 'Coronavirus' and I misunderstood.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:54 pm

Our man Sanchez is still pushing for money for Spain post crisis. Corona bonds may be dead but his latest request for funds from a 1.5 trillion perpetual fund from the EU might be a winner. It will be discussed on Thursday in Brussels.

This is crucial to us all in Spain as without this money , increased taxation will be the answer. More info here https://english.elpais.com/politics/202 ... -debt.html Eye watering numbers

I feel very sorry for a big local employer in our small town. Very well run business with hotels, restaurants, outside and event catering, weddings, motorway services. What with that and the plummet of olive oil prices it doesn't bode well for our small town economics. It has also got more personal as our local chemist died from Covid 19.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:13 pm

Lavanda wrote:Sorry. I got confused. The thread title is 'Coronavirus' and I misunderstood.
Yes, it is, and has been pointed out many times by the moderators, this forum is primarily about living in or moving to, Andalucia.

It is not about UK politics. I know it is very easy to get sidetracked into UK issues as most of us are British and still have family and friends in the UK where they are suffering just as much as we are.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:18 am

Dear Sid and Beachcomber,

Although you write that this forum is not about UK politics but about living in, or moving to, Andalucia, British politics is an obvious part of that equation. The vast majority of the members on this forum come from Britain, have family in that place, pay taxes there, hold assets there and even vote there and they made their decisions to come to live in Spain partly based on various financial and political aspects in Britain and how they would support the planned life in Spain.

Someone posted about deaths in Spanish care homes but without posting the even more dire situation in British care homes. The usual bash Spain thing, I suppose. However, our elderly people are not normally in Spanish care homes but in those in Britain. Therefore, we are more concerned with what is happening in Britain than in Spain in this respect because it may directly affect our ability to move to Spain in the first place and then to continue living here, in the second. Should one of my parents die I would go to Britain to care for my surviving parent thus directly affecting my life here which, in turn, is affected by Britain’s inability to run safe, secure, happy or even just well-run care homes. Therefore, British politics affects my life here.

Post-virus and countries the world over will be salvaging their economies. Political decisions made by the Spanish government will affect us all. Maybe our taxes will go up, more taxes on property and assets. We do not know. We only know that no one will have any money except the printed stuff. Political decisions made in Britain regarding taxes and pensions, the affect on property prices and investments, in short, things to do with the British economy, may affect our ability to move to Spain or stay in Spain. Britain will be outside the EU and any devaluation of the pound, to make it more competitive, would hit us all.

British politics are relevant to our life here and it would be an imprudent person who did not keep a close eye on what is happening, politically and economically in that country.

I do not agree with the decision you have taken however, I will abide by it.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:10 am

It is going to be a bit quiet on here without the usual Daily fail what about the UK then posts. How dare people mention deaths in Spain. Shame that after a really good start this informative thread got ruined by the usual posters.
There are only a few members post on this thread but many read it to find out how their elderly relatives in Spain are affected or in my case friends in their eighties. Also friends read it who are stranded in UK
I thought we shouldn't discuss moderation except by PM

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:37 am

There are numerous fora, radio stations and so-called social media outlets where UK politics may be discussed and that is why I avidly avoid every single one of them together with anything with 'Ex-pat' or 'Brit' in its name and have remained solely with andalucia.com for nearly twenty years.

Further off topic posts or those that question moderator actions will be deleted and, as a last resort, the thread will reluctantly be closed.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:35 pm

I actually started the thread because I was surprised that nobody was commenting on the fact that Spain was at the time one of the worst affected countries in Europe and the world. I wasn't sure how many ex-pats in Spain were aware how fast things were moving.

Despite drifting off topic from time to time and political opinions being given, which is something everyone who has posted in this thread has been guilty of, it has been informative and plenty of useful information, which has been helpful in this situation.

From my understanding, things will not go back to normal for the foreseeable future but there are some indications that a degree of loosening up the restrictions are on the horizon. Kids younger than 12 will be allowed out from next week and I suspect other restrictions such as non-essential shops opening and being able to go for a walk albeit while maintaining social distancing will be lifted two to three weeks later.

I have been slowly slowly moving my classes online using Zoom, which despite the concerns over security, has shown itself to be by far the best video conference software I have tested. Yesterday I did my first large group and was surprised to find out that 2 of the students had had Coronavirus symptoms, one of whom tested positive. Even though he didn't attend the last two classes because he was ill, from what I have heard he probably had it the week before while in class showing how close it might be to any one of us.

I think it's useful to have a different dimension from the information we read online and hear anecdotal experience of posters at this time because of the lack of contact with the outside world.
Last edited by markwilding on Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:52 pm

In today’s El Mundo some Andalusian tourism chief says beaches may be open with distancing during the summer.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:13 pm

I read that too, however to have tourists on the beaches would imply that there is an upsurge in tourism in general, how do you police the associated factors, social distancing in restaurants, bars, buses, shops etc, not to mention communal mealtimes in some of the larger hotels !

European tourism will naturally need a resurgence but how this would work in practical terms I have no idea !

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Spain, and Extremadura in particular, has got to be the best place to self-isolate and see this virus through. We have a very low infection rate in Extremadura and that is down to having a low population in relation to the size of the place — and that we are remote, as well. However, we also have excellent hospitals. Two Guardia Civil Officers who had the virus, and recovered, have donated antibodies and these are now being tested on patients who are very ill. Research must come from somewhere and Spain is doing its part in the search for a 'cure'. In addition, in my PSOE governed village, we have had free masks from the Ayuntamiento and the streets of the village are disinfected every week. It's a determined and avowed goal of our Alcaldesa that we will all pull through, alive and well. So far, so good.

Of course, not everywhere and not everyone in Spain is so fortunate but I don't live anywhere else and have no first-hand experience of other villages in Spain. I only wish to praise the tremendous efforts made by the people in my part of Spain and hope that your villages are also safe and well.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:18 pm

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020 ... il-27.html

Kids are only allowed to go to supermarkets etc with parents. No walks.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:25 pm

At this stage its only a proposal, It is yet to be approved by Congress....lets hope they see sense and amend it.
I So Bella tis you

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:28 pm

+1
That is one dumb decision, it just increases the risks in what are confined spaces. I have enjoyed shopping under the one person rule. I never did understand why shopping is a family affair here.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:34 pm

I never did understand why shopping is a family affair here.
It's so they can stand in the aisles discussing the menu for the whole week before they put anything in the trolley. Anyway, the Spanish do everything together. Many people in my village go on a holiday organised by the Ayuntamiento every October, in buses and all together. I doubt that will happen this year as we may still be in Phase X of lockdown.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:27 pm

Same in the uk re shopping.. agree its pretty daft. Ok if you are in a village and you can go for a walk with the kids and pop into the local shop/chemist. But kids wont appreciate been told you can come to the supermarket in the car walk the aisles then go back home. Hardly healthly for them. Should be the other way around keep all the oldies in as they are the ones hugely effected.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:52 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:At this stage its only a proposal, It is yet to be approved by Congress....lets hope they see sense and amend it.
True. Lots of criticism for this from the other parties.they are asking for it to be changed.

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-04-21/ ... fique.html

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:38 pm

https://www.axarquiaplus.es/un-nuevo-ca ... provincia/

Figures for axarquia etc for the previous 24hrs

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:13 am

It seems to be moving in the right direction. Here, in my part of Spain, there are over 200 villages with not a single case of infection. People are very good at doing what they are told without questioning it. A throwback to the Dictatorship?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:59 am