Antequera

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Antequera

Postby Mobylette63 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi..What can you tell me about the general weather in this area within 20km radius of Antequera? Hot and dry summers? I have been told its very windy? Cold winters...

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Antequera

Postby elusive » Sat May 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Very hot in the summer. Inland is always hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. Have a look on wunderground weather site.you can find the temps for days and years gone by

The CDS was originally called the windy coast. Whether its any worse than other places i cant say.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat May 23, 2020 4:21 pm

I've only been to Antequera twice so can't claim to know much about it at all. The first visit was in June and it was so hot it made me feel ill. The second was in January and it was freezing. I live 5km inland and the difference in temperatures was really marked. It's a nice place to visit but the climate would not appeal to me as a place to live.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat May 23, 2020 4:45 pm

Yeah the temps are very diff from the coast. Its a favourite place of mine. Went once middle of june and by heck it was hot come siesta time. Very diff to the coast. And yes you notice it in the winter aswell. You need good heating/aircon to live up there. Great area though. The crossroads of andalucia. Never knew of the place before but would certainly add it to a places you could live list (bar the heat) especially when you have all the lovely towns on the road towards cordoba like cabra,lucena across to zuheros etc etc.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat May 23, 2020 5:24 pm

We left the coast in July to visit Antequera and it was 28 degrees. We got to Antequera and it was 43 degrees. Unbearable heat in summer, a bit like every where else inland Spain.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 pm

I live inland and visit Antequera regularly.

It is true that it is hot in the summer and can be cold in the winter. It is also quite dry. There are a few hotter places in Spain like Ecija further on towards Seville. My advice is to try a place at different times of the year. I personally find dismal wet days quite depressing. Fortunately the area doesn't see many. The place in the Sun programmes still make me smile. A flourish of the hand and "there is the open fire for chilly winters nights" .

Your money goes further on property (renting or buying) inland.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun May 24, 2020 10:01 am

Ecija is a beautiful place.went there for the day when staying a couple of nights in carmona.that was mid march and it was flipping hot even then come mid afternoon

Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mobylette63 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies..we were looking at a rural property 40 minutes inland from the airport near Villanueva del Rosario before the virus took hold. We have visited the area on a few occasions but only in Autumn and winter times...

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun May 24, 2020 8:37 pm

Defo go in the summer. Two big extremes interms of the weather. if its gonna be a full time move you need to think about coping with the heat. A strange thing to say as a brit but something you dont realise or think of until you have 3 plus months of 30 plus degrees everyday. It can get very unpleasant. If its a summer/winter holiday home then too hot to sunbath in the summer and nippy in the winter.

Remember a place in the sun prog once where they were looking around ecija for a summer holiday home. I guess they hadnt done much research!!!

Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mobylette63 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:24 am

We have had a house in Mallorca and southern France in the past and now thinking of Andalucia, we never visit in the height of summer though..too busy too expensive. The coast near Malaga doesn’t interest us at all, It is over developed and ugly, the beaches are very disappointing mostly.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon May 25, 2020 10:09 am

I live near Antequera: Fuente de Piedra. Yes, it's hot in summer and cold in winter. We live there for reasons that suit us. Is not Villanueva del Rosario on the coastal side of the mountain chain? In which case, our weather may be different: you'll have to find some way of experiencing those extremes of temperature; "one man's meat" etc. etc.
nil illegitimum carborundum