Coronavirus

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coronavirus

Postby El Cid » Sat May 23, 2020 6:38 pm

What do you mean by a 5km lockdown? Under Phase one you can drive anywhere in your province. However, if you want to go for a walk it has to be within 1km of your home. If you want to exercise on a bike in full Lycra you can again go anywhere in the province.

You cannot go on the beach and sunbathe but you can fish off the beach all day with your rods stuck in the sand while you lie on your back soaking up the sun.

The current rules are crazy and contradictory.

That said, the police are now conspicuous by their absence. It looks like they have got fed up with the whole thing like the rest of us.

All you really need is a bit of common sense and a desire not to die a nasty lingering death on a ventilator.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm

The cops (municipale) are all over Las Palmas like a cheap suit !

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 pm

Lots of fining of the (un) masked villain up here.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat May 23, 2020 7:06 pm

El Cid wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:38 pm What do you mean by a 5km lockdown? Under Phase one you can drive anywhere in your province. However, if you want to go for a walk it has to be within 1km of your home. If you want to exercise on a bike in full Lycra you can again go anywhere in the province.

You cannot go on the beach and sunbathe but you can fish off the beach all day with your rods stuck in the sand while you lie on your back soaking up the sun.

The current rules are crazy and contradictory.

That said, the police are now conspicuous by their absence. It looks like they have got fed up with the whole thing like the rest of us.

All you really need is a bit of common sense and a desire not to die a nasty lingering death on a ventilator.

Sid
I agree with what you say Sid, and I admit I guessed at the 5km radius although I had heard it muted somewhere.

My point basically is keeping people under the constraints you explain, then at the same time letting foreign tourists fly in to do as they please does not make any sense whatsoever. Same as us in the UK, we are told this is a long term and a very serious issue then decisions are made that make you doubt everything they say. How the hell can it be right to unlock borders whilst the people of the country are still restricted.

I can see an argument for Herd immunity, I also see the huge benefits of a lock down, if it's a proper one and not a Brit style one......but mixing and matching the 2 raises questions about the whole thing. If it's long term, with people still dying, and people under restrictions, why let outsiders in with no meaningful tests?.....it defeats the sacrifices made by the Spanish public and goes against everything we were told only a few weeks ago. Would any of you guys visit the bars if you knew folk were there from other countries who'd had the virus and were not locked down as strictly as you?

My thoughts only and I know I could be totally on my own here with them. To repeat I'm not against getting things back to normal ASAP but let everyone get back to normal equally.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat May 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Drove to fueng.. thhe other day. Not a police officer in sight bar the two on mopeds i saw on fueng front. I guess with free movement other than the provincial borders theres not much to police.

Sanchez is prob trying to appease the tourist areas and other countries It can and prob will change at any moment intime. Andalucia asked for restrictions between provinces to be stopped but madrid said no. I guess the junta was thinking of getting the inlanders to travel for a few nights to the coast to spend some money.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 23, 2020 7:28 pm

If the Spanish Government does go ahead with opening the touristic borders in July, I personally think that it is too early, however I'm voicing my thoughts as a British pensioner who doesn't have to work, so perhaps I'm being selfish.
I can see that the economic illness could end up being far worse than the covid plague, so many small business people and their employees are already struggling, so I really can understand the urgency to get back to work.
I just hope that both visitors and locals have the common sense to be alert and continue to follow the advice and rules properly.
Personally I've decided to remain in my bunker until September, only venturing out when I really need to and regretfully not visiting the coast for a few more months.
I have to say that I've quite enjoyed the lock-down up to now, I've taken the opportunity to complete all of the tasks that I've neglected over the past few years and it will take me at least another few months to sort and catalogue my collections. :shock:
I'm not sure when I should restart my English conversation classes, during the lock down I've had lots of messages from the young and old 'students' enquiring as to our health and well being, and I keep thinking about the two 6 year olds who as they left the last class told me that if I got ill they would come and look after me.( Brings a tear to my old eyes everytime I think about it...).
Regards,
Gordon ..
Last edited by BENIDORM on Sat May 23, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 23, 2020 7:29 pm

El Cid wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:38 pm

Sid
That sounds about right to me. People are up to all sorts which contradict the rules but the police are doing little do enforce them.
My take on it is as long as there is common sense, they have been told to back off.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat May 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Phase whatever here from Monday - ok on the beach, 4sq m per person, ok to swim etc.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat May 23, 2020 8:20 pm

Nobody has mentioned (I think) the 14 day self isolation expected on entry into the UK from 8th June announced by the Poundshop Margaret Thatcher. That will kill peoples appetites for tourism if they go away for a fortnight and then have to self isolate for a fortnight on return under pain of £1000 fine each.

I see France has introduced the same rule. That will kill the drive to Spain contingent. Not sure how , if ever, I will get back to Spain. I am resigned to being here in the UK forever while you all soak up the sun on your 4 sq m of beach supping cold beers in a bar that is open. Perversely I would welcome a fortnights self isolation on return home to Spain.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat May 23, 2020 8:55 pm

How is it proposed that these people arriving in the UK get from the aeroplane to their place of self isolation? Will they all be taken by ambulance? No, probably not. They will pass through customs and other public areas of the airport then maybe take a taxi, train or bus etc and then once they have been in contact with all these people they will begin their self isolation. This just goes towards exposing how utterly ridiculous the whole thing is.

As for the Spanish government, it is becoming scared stiff of the increasing number of demonstrations and demands for its resignation as well as disarray in its own ranks. The population will become even more restless with the unreasonable demand that it wears masks in public places as temperatures start to soar with the onset of summer.

Two gardeners who came to my property today to lop palm fronds and seed pods that I am no longer able to reach were visibly relieved that we told them they did not to wear their masks whilst on our property. The trees are nearly a hundred meters away from the house so it didn't really matter too much but it would have been totally unreasonable to expect the to wear masks whilst working under those conditions.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 23, 2020 9:15 pm

I doubt that this government is scared of a pittance of demonstrators who would never vote for them anyway, As a government I'd be more scared of getting this wrong and ending up having to have another lockdown then being responsible for more deaths . They already made the mistake of going into the lockdown too late as well as allowing a massive woman's day march and the jury is still out whether this will be held against them.

Why would your gardeners need to wear masks if they are maintaining social distance while being outside? I have been into the city centre again today and while in the street, it is not necessary to wear a mask. It's only when you go into a shop, that they need to be worn, By the time I had left the shop, I had completely forgotten I had it on and carried on wearing it. It's not such a big deal.

Anyway, I 'm not actually sure what the problem is here. Why wouldn't anyone want to make sure they are not breathing and spitting all over people who are only doing their job and have the right to do it in safety?
Last edited by markwilding on Sat May 23, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 pm

On arrival in the uk they just give details of where they are staying and thats it. If they get checked upcon and arent there then they get a fine.

In spain you can still go to the supermarket etc. So its basically 14 days in phase 0. So pretty pointless aswell.

Saw the reports about the car protests in madrid arranged by vox? How many are protesting for a purely right wing political reason like those in america though.But as i read somewhere which says alot that "if having to wear a mask or social distance is the worst attack on your civil rights that you have faced then maybe its time to recognise the privilage life you have led"

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat May 23, 2020 10:18 pm

As for the Spanish government, it is becoming scared stiff of the increasing number of demonstrations and demands for its resignation as well as disarray in its own ranks. The population will become even more restless with the unreasonable demand that it wears masks in public places as temperatures start to soar with the onset of summer.
Agree, Beachcomber. The Government has no real majority and only has power dependent on other parties supporting it. Sanchez must feel very insecure.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat May 23, 2020 10:53 pm

Yes, it is all falling apart before his very eyes:

https://english.elpais.com/politics/202 ... eform.html

Even one of his own ministers, Nadia Calviño, is on the warpath along withe some of the PSOE heirarchy:

https://www.elmundo.es/espana/2020/05/2 ... b45ef.html

I expect some people will still be in denial though.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 23, 2020 11:00 pm

We will see, Those links are a few days old and already out of date as Sanchez got his extension albeit, not the 28 days he wanted but that's the nature of a minority government that relies on other parties to govern

I read those articles and more like them a few days ago, The questions being asked had nothing to do with the extension but the party that the deal was with, These deals are typical in Spanish politics. But when I saw a one had been made with Bildu, I was a little taken aback as I too would not be happy with any deal made with them due to their extreme nationalist tendencies, links with ETA, not to mention the fact that they are a bunch of Marxists but after a little scrutiny, the deal was for them to abstain if the PSOE repeal a labour law enacted by the PP in 2012. A law that was already in the PSOE/Podemos pact, ironically though, even if Bildu had voted against the government, the extension would still have passed

The PNV got concessions for their support last time round, which meant that the Basque Government could decide the timetable to move the region completely to phase 1.

Anyway, are they going for another two weeks after this one ? I thought this was the last one and most of the country will back to almost normal 2 weeks on Monday. I'm getting messages from my students that the exam boards are telling them to be ready to do their exams as soon as possible as we enter phase 2 on Monday.

Meanwhile, I 've just heard that La LIga will restart on June 8th

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun May 24, 2020 6:59 am

Does anyone remember a film called 'It Happened Tomorrow' about a man who could read the next day's newspaper before it was published? Mark Wilding read the articles 'a few days ago' but the article in the second link was only published yesterday, the same day I posted it.

The labour reform bill was enacted as a condition imposed by the European Union for bailing out Spain in 2012. They probably won't ask for the money back but but it doesn't bode well for Spain seeing any of the five hundred billion euros that the EU has allegedly been able to magic up from somewhere.

If that is the case where is the recovery money from coronavirus going to come from? Oh, don't tell me! From the millions of Spanish tax payers who have already had their lives and finances decimated by the virus and the government's reaction to it especially across Andalucía where businesses have been wrecked through the lack of tourists which the 'united left' has claimed in the past that Spain doesn't need anyway.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun May 24, 2020 8:35 am

The police in the Uk don't even attend burglaries so are they really going to check up on people in quarantine. Arrive at Heathrow, get on the train into central London and then get the tube to your residence, OH and then quarantine yourself. Crazy situation.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 24, 2020 9:32 am

I don’t find Michael O’Leary a very likeable man, but he has been saying exactly the same thing for a couple of days.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun May 24, 2020 10:01 am

I agree with the comments above but reckon they are minor risk and avoidable for many outside of London, ie flying from Manchester or Leeds you could easily use your own transport.

The risk I'd assume if you are worried about picking up the virus is on the flight itself, 2.5 hours + and breathing recycled air.

The centre seat vacant idea (if that is still the way they are going) is again a joke, will it make any difference at all?

I seldom get cold, flu etc but the times I've picked up a bug in the last 20 years have always come after the Manchester to Malaga or vica versa flight.......always!! Coincidence maybe but it's a fact. Not had a sniffle without a flight involved.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 24, 2020 10:07 am

Beachcomber wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:59 am
The labour reform bill was enacted as a condition by the European Union for bailing out Spain in 2012. They probably won't ask for the money back but but it doesn't bode well for Spain seeing any of the five hundred billion euros that the EU has allegedly been able to magic up from somewhere.

The article I read in El Pais is dated 21/5/2020 as per your link. The second article from El Mundo talks more in depth about the dissatisfaction of the doing deal with Bildu and nothing about the extension. This it not a new argument and many including me are not comfortable with this government going into any agreements with Bildu, which in a previous incarnation was Herri Batasuna, the political wing of ETA.and on reading about the deal my reaction was the same as Nadia Claviñ'o's

I actually agree with their concerns and have always been critical of the way it is possible to get further reforms for regions such as The Basque Country and Catalonia to the detriment of other regions, especially the special Tax conditions here in The Basque Country by holding the balance of power, and more so where Bildu is concerned.

When the original deal was made is unimportant. The deal was to repeal it. The confusion was that it wasn't clear what the deal between the three parties was as they were all saying different things.
Last edited by markwilding on Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.