wildcamping in spain

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
john the baptist
Resident

wildcamping in spain

Postby john the baptist » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:20 pm

i think im having a mid life criis of the lock down has fried my brain. But after too many views of Easy Rider i would like to go on a bike trip around spain and try wild camping. I know there are very strict laws for very good reasons about the beach and fires but has anyone had experience of pitching up a tent and riding the open road in spain. I DONT WANT CAMPSITES as it may as well be a hotel. and airbnb are mainly in city centers. im probably 30 years too old for a youth hostel and id love to see the picos and galicia after the lock down is over and as we all know accommodation is expensive when you add the days up.

cheers for any advice !!!!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: wildcamping in spain

Postby Lavanda » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:41 pm

Come to Extremadura for part of your trip. The Ruta de la Plata, the old road, not the motorway, runs north to south and is usually quiet. Lovely countryside; lakes, mountains, valleys and great villages. You will have to do some research but there are places such as Proserpina, 10km north of the capital Mérida (80,000 inhabitants so don't think of 'capital' as big). People just park their motorhomes or caravans or pitch their tents by the side of the lake and under the shade of the trees and stay for as long as they like. There are places to wild camp all along the Ruta de la Plata. The only thing I would say is that if you are messy and leave rubbish in your wake, don't come. My stepson comes on his motorbike most years and gets the ferry to Santander and then 'rides' the Picos de Europa and comes down the Ruta de la Plata to stay with us. He wild camps on the way.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:41 pm

Thanks Lavanda Ive heard of this ruta to santiago as its stars in sevilla. will look into it, unfortunately on monday we go to phase 3 which means travelling between provinces however we are still stuck in andalucia. so before the heat really kicks in i was thinking granada and almeria.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:45 pm

Phase 3 still bans any movements between provinces.

Sid

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:04 am

No worries, John, I didn't think about the restrictions. Never mind. You can put Extremadura on your list and the Autumn is also glorious here. All the forests in Cáceres province of Spanish Chestnut and Oaks (Robles) are amazing in their shades of yellow through to red.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:50 pm

It has now been announced that from Monday 8 June people WILL be able to travel freely between all provinces in Andalucia -but not outside of the autonomous region, of course.

https://www.malagahoy.es/andalucia/anda ... 53091.html

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi yes between provinces in the same autonomous region.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:05 pm

...........except Extremadura, lol

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:24 pm

I know. We have to wait another week. The weird thing is my closest big supermarket is 22km away in Badajoz province and not allowed. The next comparable supermarket is in my province but 50km away. How is that sensible.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:53 pm

2 biker friends from the Uk got the ferry over to Santander and wild camped all around northern Spain. They are Harley riders so used to roughing it but had 2 weeks in Spain without a problem from land owners or police.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:44 pm

I thought that I read on a bike forum that WIld camping is either seriously frowned upon by Spanish Police or it's illegal. But I'm open to correction.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:05 am

It is illegal — but there are certain rules and guidelines under which you can wild camp. That answer in itself is very Spanish, isn't it.