Where to put fibre router

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Where to put fibre router

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:11 pm

At long last optical fibre broadband is being installed in our street - 100Mbps on a FTTH basis. Has anyone with a similar system any advice on where to site the router? We have a 3-storey townhouse and with our current 6Mbps wimax supply have to use plug-in extenders to get any signal on the top floor, giving around 4Mbps at the top if the signal at the router is the promised 6. I have read that the router should be in the centre of the house - vertically as well as horizontally - but have no real idea how much the signal may drop on the upper and lower floors. I would like to discard the extenders and would be very happy with a reliable say 20+ Mbps everywhere. Anyone any experience?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Where to put fibre router

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi peteroldracer,
Central point is preferred...........near a socket so you could use Power Line extenders if required.

If needed in your case...Example

Have used TP-Link WPA4220 Kit in one of my sites..........even goes up to an Office 70 mtr away in the garden.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:45 pm

I have read one report that the 100 meg is at the router, and best result is by ethernet cable connection to a tv. I was thinking of running an ethernet cable to the top floor for a second tv up there, and hope to get enough power via wifi for ipads etc, if the drop through one layer of concrete is not severe. Let’s face it, having put up with a maximum of 6 meg for 3 years!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:57 pm

Hi,
The power line would be more than enough for TV on Third floor and cleaner , unless you can route the Ethernet cable in the runs.

If using Ethernet cable make sure its Cat 5e or Cat 6

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:50 pm

We would be dumping the existing wimax internet feed, which runs from the dish on the roof through the wall trunking, so could pull ethernet cable through the same route. It is the degree of drop from the 100 meg when passing through concrete floors that I am after. There can be quite a drop using the powerline extenders so thought it better to get rid if I can. Take your point about the right spec.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:36 pm

Ethernet is the best for reliable no drop out signal. If not middle floor will sort the whole house over wifi.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:11 pm

Risking a visit to the UK - will have to sort this out when we return,,,current service is abysmal.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:12 am

Hi peteroldracer,

When you get a moment please Post the Make and Model of your current Wi-Fi extenders.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:53 am

Enrique: on the first floor there is a TP-LINK RE350 - Extensor de Red WiFi,, and as I could not get a different TP-Link one to work on the top floor I bought a set of 4 small units off the net, simply named as Wireless-N WiFi Repeater (made, naturally in China). If the supply is up to spec at the router they work fine e.g. 6meg in, 5 meg next to the TP-Link extender and about 4 at the top. Yesterday at one point we were getting 0.15 at the router with high ping & jitter, later on back up to spec. We have been forced to use Avatel up to now, despite the abysmal performance, there being no reasonable options, but will be so glad to dump both their tv service and the wifi, both coming off Wimax dishes.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:07 am

The TP Link extender can be used as an access point. What that means is that if you run a cable to another floor you plug the cable into the extender and it emits a full strength WiFi signal. If you use it as an extender the signal strength will new be as good unless it is very close to the router. I have a single story house, but it is 50m long. I ran a cable to the middle of the house and put a TP link on it and continued the cable to the end of the house and put another one on the end. Result - 100mb all over the house and even in the garden.

Sid

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:43 am

I've recently replaced my wifi extenders with a Tenda brand mesh system. I got a set of 3 boxes from Amazon for 70 euros. For the first time ever I have been able to get decent internet on every floor (3) of the house with no reconnection lag as I move about. Takes five minutes to set up.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:56 am

El Cod said "I ran a cable to the middle of the house and put a TP link on it and continued the cable to the end of the house and put another one on the end." Do you mean that if you plug an ethernet cable into the "feed" extender and into the "slave" that the far extender will give out a great wifi signal?
It looks like the best plan is to get the fibre installed - with the new router on the first floor (if the engineeer is happy to do that without wanting a hefty surcharge) and play it by ear when I can test the results.
Thanks to all for the info - I only hope that this annoying Spamguard thing that stopped me from posting on here for three days does not raise its ugly head again!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:05 pm

The cable runs from the router to a junction box in the middle of the house. The second cable runs from the junction box to the second extender. A cable runs from the junction box to the first extender (a short cable as the junction box it right next to the first extender). In other words, both extenders are attached directly to the router, but using one cable.

Sid

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:23 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:56 am El Cod said "I ran a cable
Very fishy post :crazy:
Gerry