Beckhams Law

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Beckhams Law

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:25 pm

Interesting thread on a local forum from a Brit who works full time in Spain, and has a certificate to say he only pays tax in the UK using "Beckhams Law" and also does not need to declare assets on Form 720. He is asking about getting Spanish residency (despite having lived and worked here for a couple of years)
Is this some unheard of loophole or is it a lot of twaddle from a dodgy accountant?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Beckhams Law

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:35 pm

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:07 am

I think it's safe to say he won't be receiving residency status with his tax position and current economic conditions in Spain, why should we allow him to live and work here but pay his taxes elsewhere, he will fall, and rightly so !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:10 pm

Did you actually read the article? Nowhere does it say that you don't pay tax in Spain, just that it will be less.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:32 pm

El Cid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:10 pm Did you actually read the article? Nowhere does it say that you don't pay tax in Spain, just that it will be less.

Sid
Yes, I did read the article and if my interpret it correctly it would allow people who use this loophole to avoid paying some taxes in Spain therefore depriving Spain of some taxes that it badly needs !

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:46 pm

I would think that this Law would only get approval for people in "proper jobs", on contracts at good earnings, so the beneficiary of the tax relief will have more money to spend in the Spanish economy than the thousands of people earning little and contributing the same?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:17 pm

A flat rate of 24% up to a limit of 6 years to attract talent to Spain. It could also mean that Spain could compete with other countries while offering an average of 25 per cent less in gross pay.
It says that a person can't have been a resident in the last 10 years so your guy might lose the benefit, should he become one

What I didn't get though was while Beckham was the first beneficiary, the document says that professional sport athletes are excluded from the scheme.
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:46 pm

I think he managed to qualify as a “gilipollas profesional”

Sid