Online shopping in the Covid world

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Online shopping in the Covid world

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:35 pm

I know that everyone goes on about bezos and amazon, but did anyone realise that not 50% of the things on amazon.com are actually stocked or shipped by amazon? They are just acting as a massive "drop-shipping" website - selling a million different products from all different places. The same as carrefour.es, manomano.es, aliexpress.com etc etc.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Elusive, Bonmarche have been taken over by another company, and they are now much more efficient with good quality merchandise.
My wife has had 3 orders from the new Bonmarche and is very happy with everything, she said to tell you that they now have a bigger range also.

Regards,
Gordon

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Yeah the guy who owns peacocks and edinburgh wool etc i think he owned them years ago aswell before buying them back to save them from going under last year. Used to buy vest tops from them but the quality went down hill and now they have gone from gib you cant shop there unless im in the uk. I bought a few things online in the past and the service was good and check their website but they seem to have cut back on shorts etc.. this year they have vertually none.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:40 pm

spanish_lad wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:35 pm I know that everyone goes on about bezos and amazon, but did anyone realise that not 50% of the things on amazon.com are actually stocked or shipped by amazon? They are just acting as a massive "drop-shipping" website - selling a million different products from all different places. The same as carrefour.es, manomano.es, aliexpress.com etc etc.
yeah i always wondered how they stocked so much when i first started using it before realising as you say that for the most part they just act as a middle man advertising platform for other ppl

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 am

Its in really small letters.. "fullfilled by amazon" or "sold by xxx company"

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:05 am

It’s easier to tick the Amazon Prime box and that will only show the stuff from Amazon. You don’t need to be a Prime member to do this. If you can’t find what you want untick the box.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:43 am

gavilan wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:23 pm I note no-one as yet has picked up on my comments re working conditions of Amazon staff ... seems a bit like recent references to the slave trade ... some got very rich by exploiting others ... and doesn't matter if they die, be plenty more wanting those jobs!
It's a really hard one because there is probably some truth in that . However, there is another side to this. Amazon are building a massive warehouse in Sestao about 10KMs from here, very close to the old steel works which employed thousands and which closed down a few years ago.

It's actually on the old General Electrics company site where my father in law worked all his life, which also closed down and many of those low skilled jobs have never been replaced. Anyone who passes Bilbao will see it because it's close to the Ferry port next to the motorway.

Sestao and the towns around it needs regeneration and although not perfect, I'm sure there will be plenty applying
Last edited by markwilding on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:53 am

Before Covid there was a lot of shouting about Amazon building a massive unit at the almost white elephant RMU (Corvera) airport.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:24 pm

katy wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:23 pm Boots have a box of masks online, quite a small box 50 masks for £35 :shock: I wouldn't be buying them if a tenner.
Odd thing about masks. Can't say I like wearing one, but it's certainly far from the "monstrous imposition" some suggest, and will happily comply from next week. I'd far rather wear a mask to go out, than stay in forever. In fact, we did so today when we walked into town for a few small items, and noticed many others also doing so already. We picked ours up a while ago, from a display at the entrance to Asda: two washable (re-usable) masks for £3. Not great quality, but adequate. Today we popped into several Pound land/world/stretcher type places, and in none of them did I notice masks for sale. I wasn't actually looking for them - but why aren't all retailers seizing the opportunity and placing them in a visible place at their entrance, or by the tills? In one supermarket, I did ask an assistant, who told me they were next to the paracetamol: 10 disposable masks for £8 :shock: Why on earth aren't they flogging them for a quid each at the entrance? Sometimes it's hard to sympathise with "high street" shops.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:38 pm

You can now buy good quality N95 masks online for about €2 each and with the correct CE markings.

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:12 pm

I've used aliexpress quite a lot. Got 100 masks for 17 euros, arrived in 2 weeks. I had one order with them that hadn't arrived and they refunded within minutes. Good service.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:28 am

ironic isnt it. a worldwide pandemic starts apparently in china.. and then the whole world starts buying masks that are made in china :wtf: :wtf:

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:38 am

Ironic indeed and they are just probably reshipping the useless not fit for purpose masks that Spain and others sent back to them a few months back. They were as someone said "about as much use as taping a sheet of kitchen roll on your face".

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:24 pm

My masks from Aliexpress seems fine.

They are probably not medical grade,but, there again, I am not operating on hearth bypasses, just taking the dog out and popping into Lidl.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:38 pm

El Cid wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:16 pm Amazon users may not be aware of the fact that your Amazon account is useable at any Amazon site worldwide (subject to postage and customs restrictions).
...and on that point about customs, anyone who regularly orders stuff from amazon.co.uk for shipment to Spain (or vice versa of course) might be interested in Amazon's announcement about FBA (fulfilled by Amazon) orders from January 1st.
https://tamebay.com/2020/07/amazon-fba- ... or-uk.html
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.