Best VPN?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Best VPN?

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:17 pm

Which is the best vpn and are the free ones worth a try? Looking at surfshark, any pros or cons please.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Best VPN?

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 am

The free ones tend to slow down internet speeds and some are not so secure.
Many posters don’t use VPNs due to the fact they also are more complicated to set up on a router so prefer a SmartDns server.
The advantage of a free one is just that, they are free.
None are perfect and problems arise from time to time especially if sites learn and block their servers.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:58 am

I thought you didn’t need to touch the router with a VPN. I understood if you downloaded it on to say an Amazon firestick it was done from there.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:48 pm

On a tablet you just download the VPN app and that's it

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:53 pm

costakid wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:58 am I thought you didn’t need to touch the router with a VPN. I understood if you downloaded it on to say an Amazon firestick it was done from there.
Correct, you can either put it on your router or device permitting on the device. I have used smartdnsproxy vpn for some years now. I find if i installed it on my router i lose way more line speed than if i install it on my tablet. However if you put it on your router the vpn is available to all devices. Personally i don't need vpn for everything, eg dns redirection is sufficient for my tvbox. So i tend to install per device.

You may find for example that you cannot install the vpn client on your tv, so need it on the router. Some routers, mine included allow you to install the vpn but have a mac address access control list so some devices use the vpn and some don't.

Waffle aside have been more than happy with Smartdnsproxy using both the vpn and/or redirection. Pretty cheap too at $24 for two year subscription.
Regards

Bob

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:17 pm

casita-bonita wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:53 pm
costakid wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:58 am I thought you didn’t need to touch the router with a VPN. I understood if you downloaded it on to say an Amazon firestick it was done from there.
Correct, you can either put it on your router or device permitting on the device. I have used smartdnsproxy vpn for some years now.
Yes it depends what device you use. I have SmartyDNS VPN installed on the firestick but can’t install it on the NowTV box, Smart TV or PS4. Installing a VPN on a router is not for the faint hearted. In the past I have used free VPNs on my Ipad but eventually all of them stop working or the terms change. Many are free for a limited period.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:46 pm

Another disadvantage with the router solution is that generally you don't actually install anything, rather and this is assuming your router supports vpn, and you have access to it is that you configure your router to point to a specific vpn server and set the user/password. Job done, but should you want to connect to a different vpn server, say in another country then you have to reconfigure the router. An app on a device generally presents you with a pick list of available servers. Easy to switch between vpn servers in a country or vpn servers in a different country.

Echo what Mark says about free services...
Regards

Bob

Johnandali
Tourist

Postby Johnandali » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:03 pm

Beqst solution I have found is UK Expat VPN - Client installed on firestick works perfectly for UK TV channels

Started using Apple TV a couple of weeks ago and it works as well.

Costs about £59 a year but totally stable and no response issue.

I also use on mobile and iPad.

I also use the free service Windscribe - only for Pandora streaming as not available outside US.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:22 pm

Any thoughts on Mozilla VPN out there?

Saludos