Advice needed for log burner install

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
elscouser
Andalucia.com Amigo

Advice needed for log burner install

Postby elscouser » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:06 am

Hi everyone,

Looking at doing this myself - I’ll get it tester afterwards and we have carbon monoxide detectors etc!

So as you can see in pic, flue needs to come out of roof and through a ración and teja tiles on top.

Any advice regarding install? Methods etc - I’ll take my time and ensure it’s done properly with good advice!

elscouser
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Advice needed for log burner install

Postby elscouser » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:06 am

Can’t upload pic but yeah glue basically through a cement beamed viga roof with raciones in between and teja tiles on top

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Just a thought but easiest way is to go out through a wall and then attach to vertical wall. Easier to seal against the elements.

Some years ago there was a thread ( on here I think) about the direction of joints. Most I have seen are female at bottom , male at top, then female goes on that and so on. The suggestion was that tar could leak out if you use that method. We have never had that problem despite having the above configuration. Might be worse if you use unseasoned wood or maybe pine.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:26 pm

If you go out thro' a wall, make sure the bends are at a shallow angle, or you'll have problems when you need to clean the tubes ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:11 am

Most I have seen are female at bottom , male at top, then female goes on that and so on.

Yes! If you do it that way, condensation within the pipe can (and will!) leak out at the joint and run down the outside of the pipe below. If your log burner has a connector on the top that only allows this method of fixing, it is possiuble to buy a m/f converter so you can do it the other way and avoid drips disfiguring the pipes.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Hi escouser,

This is what works for us............

Internal tubes 150mm male end down, out through upstairs room then connected to Insulated tubes capped with Chinaman's hat.

Can remove displacer plate in fire and use sweeps brush to clean tubes.........as I keep fire hot and use well seasoned olive wood get very little soot.
Plus the birds that fall down the tubes clean on way down , can't really see how they get under the hat. :)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:41 pm

olive wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:07 pm...female at bottom , male at top, then female goes on that and so on...
Yes, I would wholeheartedly agree with that!

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:09 am

Enrique says:Internal tubes 150mm male end down
Beachcomer says otherwise

NO! I'm with Enrique on this one!
nil illegitimum carborundum

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:42 am

Please disregard my post. It was an attempt at lavatory humour. I know absolutely nothing about installing log burners. The covid scam seems to have destroyed our sense of humour, along with every other aspect of our lives.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:40 pm

We have had five wood-burning stoves installed in various houses and rooms over the years. I agree with the configuration of male and female bits (I laughed Beachcomber) but, from experience, the tubes going straight up with no bends at all is the best solution.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:00 pm

I´ve seen youtube videos where (if theres space) the chimney exits the wall straight out, then goes into a "t-piece" and then straight up the wall. This allows for much easier cleaning.

(I assume the internals of the "t-piece" are curved on one side to help the flow. )

Ours is installed fireplace - 90º bend - straight up. and the hats been cemented on... :rolleyes:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:15 pm

Our tube goes out the house at 90º as well and has a T junction but it also has a flap at the bottom bit to clean the bit going back into the estufa (once the winter is over) and to clean going straight up the tube. Sounds gibberish but I hope you get the idea.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:52 pm

@Lavanda - thats exactly what i meant.

If i were doing ours from scratch, thats what i would do.

eveyon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby eveyon » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:02 pm

Some years ago we installed a woodburner in our old one storey house. The neighbours in the new build on the other side of our path moved in as my husband was fixing chimney on roof. After a time he. Complained that the smoke was going into his bedroom through his airvent. Husband changed fire from my corner of room to the other and repositoned the chimney and raised it. It is now five metres above our roof but he is now complaining that the smoke is going on his washing on his roof terrace which is as high as a third storey. He is now saying that we cant light the fire until 7.30 when he gets home from work.
Wee have nowhere else in the living room whete we can move this fire and anyway my husband is eighty and to old to be clambering.
Need some advice as to what we can do ( i should add that we did not get a licence for this as we were not aware that we needed one

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:43 am

Although you cannot do much about the wind direction there are various different sombreros you can try. Are there other estufa chimneys in the area and what do they use? Maybe speak to a builder to see if you can use something else. Other than that I think your neighbour sounds extremely of the complaining sort!!!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:16 am

eveyon wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:02 pm We have nowhere else in the living room whete we can move this fire and anyway my husband is eighty and to old to be clambering.Need some advice as to what we can do

At 80 years old i doubt he wants to be carrying logs every few days.

to avoid problems with your neibour, but keep warm, i would recomend to get a gas estufa (€59 in bauhaus) and have the gas man bring the bottle to the fire. (or buy a trolley for the gas bottles, they are 17€. )