Avocados

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
ashtondav
Resident

Avocados

Postby ashtondav » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:43 am

We’ll be returning to the uk end November. My question is whether it will be ok to leave the avocados on the tree until then or will they spoil and it would be better to pick and eat them now.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Re: Avocados

Postby GerryinCajiz » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:08 am

I did not usually collect mine until January/February. The company that I sold to did not accept them before this. I had to check and see if they were accepting them as they wanted them fresh off the trees. For personal use, they can stay on the trees for a very long time.
Gerry

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:21 am

Cheers!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:11 pm

Last winter we didn't start to pick until the winter, probably around November, and picked through to May. They're brilliant things, as you can leave them on the tree for months and they don't ripen until after you've picked them.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm

Four years ago my OH planted an avocado stone and we now have a tree that is taller than I am and with a strong truck, lots of branches and lots of lovely leaves. It did go through various pots and sites but is now planed in a good spot on the finca. We protect it from the fiercest heat of the Summer and wrap it in that white fleecy stuff in Winter to protect it from frost. It has lost all its leaves twice but has survived, so far.

When can we expect avocados?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 am

I wondered if you can grow them from stones, or are the trees you buy grafted onto a different root stock? We have a tree that is an avocado but only ever produces tiny little inedible fruit. It was here when we moved in and I wondered if it had been grown from a stone. A neighbour had some kind of spider mite that meant he had to cut down all his avocados to a stump which then started to grow up again. He said that it would not produce edible fruit again.

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:18 am

I am no expert, but I have been told that avocados come as either male or female, and that you need both within an insects wandering range to achieve fruit. If you buy a tree, the nurseryman grafts both sexes onto the same rootstock, which solves the problem. Apart from that, it is in the lap of the gods. I have a single tree, which produces a handful of fruit every year. I think our record is five. I don't know if our tree is the bisexual sort, or if there is a another tree nearby.
On the subject of root grafts; we have a plum tree which sent out a branch about five feet (1.5 metres, for our younger readers) from the ground. We let it grow, because the plums would be easier to pick if they were lower down. A year or so later, we were surprised to find the branch bearing nice, sweet almonds! People who know more than I about the subject tell me that the plum must have been grafted onto an almond root!
Isn't nature wonderful!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:14 pm

Thank you, Wicksey and Irismary for your replies. The tree is a lovely shape. The leaves are evergreen so it looks really nice and if we never get fruit it won't matter but we do love avocados. I do know that some fruit trees do need the male and female near each other and we do have an orchard that gives us nectarines, peaches, apples, red and yellow plums and quince. We also have a lemon tree but it was there when we bought the place and gives lots of lemons. Maybe we just have to wait and see ...

I do have a lot of roses bushes and two climbing roses. They seem to grow here like weeds with three flowerings a year. However, two rose bushes are definitely grafted as I get the original orange-coloured rose, which is why I bought the thing to start with, and also a few branches of wild deep red roses. Another bush has yellow and pink roses and again one is a big-bloomed cultivated rose and the other looks much smaller. They all look nice but the more wild looking roses have no fragrance.

On the vegetable front we had a lot of rain this Spring and we had the most delicious carrots that, for the first time ever had no carrot fly. Wonderful. All the other veggies were good, as usual. We are now eating cauliflower, broccoli, two types of cabbage and the end of the aubergines, peppers and leeks. It's been a great year for the garden.