Transfer of Pet Dog To Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Transfer of Pet Dog To Spain

Postby alicia » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:37 pm

Hi

Am moving to Spain to live as a permanent resident at beginning of this June. Can anyone give me clear, simple explanation ref regulations governing the transfer. My dog is is almost 10 years old so extremely unlikely she will return to UK. She has now been microchipped and had rabies vaccination. Vet here seems to think as not returning not to bother with blood analysis. Vet also seemed to think Spain had special regulations reference Tick, Flea Tapeworm - as if dog has not got correct injection they will not allow entry!!! Is this right!! Also what regulations governing air travel from Manchester!!! Would be meg grateful for any info to help as I am quite anxious and don't want her to be denied entry to Spain and then us not being able to get her back into UK!!!! Have looked at DEFRA website but not everything totally clear.

Many thanks

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:45 pm

We brought our JR over last April. We had her microchipped, rabies vaccinated and blood tested, although this wasn't necessary as we are not returning to UK with her. You can have them blood tested here in Spain if need be. We didn't have tick and tapeworm as it isn't necessary. You only have to have this done if you are returning to UK and it must be done 48 hours before travel. I don't know if this has changed since last year. We got the passport from the vet (there is no charge for this - it states on the DEFRA website that there shouldn't be a charge). We had no problems at all when we arrived in Spain. We travelled by boat to Santander, so I don't know about the rules with the airlines. I have heard that it can be quite expensive and not all airlines carry pets. I would start making enquiries with the airlines now.

Hope this helps.

mark
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mark » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:13 am

Alicia,
Your vet should be DEFRA approved so he/she should know all the rules and regulations. A not clear answer wouldn't be good enough for me, it is their job to find out, get another reputable vet is my advice

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:07 am

We bought two elderly dogs over three years ago, both have now died, they did not need a blood test for the rabies as they were not returning to UK, but as a previous post has said your vet does need to be DEFRA approved as he or she needs to fill in an export certificate to say dog is fit and well and had all the vaccinations etc, nobody actually checked our paperwork either in France or crossing into Spain.
Anwelife is quite correct in that you only need the tick and tapeworm etc for returning to UK.

have a good trip and enjoy Spaon
pwwm

alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alicia » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:17 pm

Many thanks everyone for your assistance.

paulellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

pets to spain

Postby paulellis » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:46 pm

I think an improtant point here, is that although your pet does not need tick & tapeworm treatment before moving, I would recommend you ensure you keep on top of the treatment once in spain. A monthly worming tablet and tick collar is what we were strongly advised to have by a DEFRA registered vet in the UK 9and if going to the trouble & expense of taking our pet, it seems logical to be safe rather than sorry!)

Paul