Anyone near Adra?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Maggiehoegh

Anyone near Adra?

Postby Maggiehoegh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Hello,

My husband's family has just sold their holiday home in Calpe, Spain and we are now looking at a cortijo 6km north of Adra for our own, with a possibility of retiring there eventually.

We have spent time year round in Calpe and know how hot, cold, rainy it can be in Spain. In looking up weather in Adra, there seems to be a bit of a microclimate. From what we could see it doesn't often get much above 30 or below 10. Is this accurate? In reading some of the posts on the forum, it certainly seems to get both hotter and colder but perhaps this is further in the mountains?

There is a well which they say has water all year, is this to be believed? Any ideas as to the quality of water in this area?

Most of the structural remodeling has been done (possibly to cover up the worst) but all the interior needs to be completed. Well and electricity are there but all water pipes and electric cables need to be installed as well as a septic system. Is this a total nightmare? How easy/advisable is it to have a building inspector evaluate for soundness? Any tips on finding someone trustworthy?

With all the work to be done, the price needs to be negotiated - any ideas on this? Is it best to use a buyers agent? In looking at prices in this area, I think it needs to be closer to almost half of what they are asking but on the positive side there is 3 hectare land, fantastic views, asphalt road, close to town and only two neighbors in a protected nature area - so maybe I am wrong?. One of the neighbors is from Norway (we are from Denmark) and the other is agricultural - growing vegetables under shade structures. Any problems associated with being located close to such a place?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Maggie

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Anyone near Adra?

Postby Free at Last » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:35 pm

I don't know the area so can't answer the questions you have posed, I'm afraid, but if the house you are interested in is in a rural area and, more importantly still, a "protected nature area", I would have thought your primary concern should be to make 100% sure that it is a legal property with a licence of first occupation - as a dwelling and not any kind of agricultural building. If it is, then make sure that all the alterations already carried out have received the necessary permissions and, if the size of the building has been increased, that this is correctly registered on the escritura and with Catastro. Don't waste any time on the other matters until you have investigated these issues very thoroughly.

Maggiehoegh

Postby Maggiehoegh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks Free at Last,
That is excellent info, I appreciate it.
Maggie

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:22 pm

I live just 10 mins from Adra but nearer the coast, it certainly gets over 30dg round here and wehave snow in the mountains, so not too sure how high the cortijo is, cant believe if it is on the way into the mountains it wont get cold in the winter.

I also agree with the previous poster re checking permiso etc for all work. We have been getting quite a bit of rain this winter, all relative to the area of course so the well should be ok, personally like my water from the tap and water board.

Good luck with the move :wave:

Pirateprincess
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pirateprincess » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:06 am

Hi Maggie did you move to the cortijo in adra, I would lo e to know how you got on, can you please share your experience with me many thanks
LOUISE M

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:01 am

last active over 7 years ago

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:06 pm

Old threads should be made read only like Trip Advisor and many other sites.