Buying things from uk sellers ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Buying things from uk sellers ?

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:01 pm

Hello everyone, i've seen various 'my brother told me' and 'the man in the pub' stories..

has anyone bought / tried to buy anything from the UK at all? Since brexit happened, im thinking that postage is now 'international' and there would be some tax to pay?

I saw a story about a bluetooth speaker for 130 pounds, 15 pounds shipping (to n.i) and a 40 pounds surcharge for 'import tax?' That seems a little crazy to me, but expected... I bet people wern't expecting that.

One thing that i know is true - our company accepts transfers from the UK for yearly contracts, and the bank is charging €15 per transfer now.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Buying things from uk sellers ?

Postby Enrique » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi S.L,

"One thing that i know is true - our company accepts transfers from the UK for yearly contracts, and the bank is charging €15 per transfer now."

My understanding(from a regular payment I make) that €15 per transfer to a Spanish Business account was in place last year, even when transferring from a Spanish account .
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:52 pm

I have bought a replacement remote and some other bits from from the UK and and other countries over the last week or so and not had to pay any import tax but I this is normal. If something is imported from outside the EU, it seems to me it's pot luck whether duty has to be paid or not. I think it supposed to be paid but often, nobody asks for it. Nevertheless, you need to be prepared to pay if they do ask.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:50 pm

Amazon were sending out emails about this before xmas. I think its anything over 20 plus quid/euros will require customs tax etc to be paid as its been sent from/too 3rd countries.

Lots of threads on f.book groups about people being charged by their banks for pension deposits. People just advised to use transferwise etc as its a E.U-E.U transfer

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:26 pm

When I have posted outside the Eu from the UK I have to fill in a customs form. If value is below £50 there is no duty for the receiver to pay so I guess now we are out of the EU the rules will be similar. Customers overseas always ask you to put value below £50. The problem with that is then you are only insured for £50. Definitely a customs declaration for postage from now on both ways.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:13 am

Enrique wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:08 pm Hi S.L,

"One thing that i know is true - our company accepts transfers from the UK for yearly contracts, and the bank is charging €15 per transfer now."

My understanding(from a regular payment I make) that €15 per transfer to a Spanish Business account was in place last year, even when transferring from a Spanish account .
If it was a SEPA transfer the rules (I.e the law) was and continues to be that the bank cannot charge you more just because it is cross border. So if the bank charged 15GBP for a transfer within the UK then they could charge the same for a cross border.

Now that UK is outside SEPA transfer rules a bank sending money to or from the UK is free to charge whatever they want.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:17 am

costakid wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:26 pm When I have posted outside the Eu from the UK I have to fill in a customs form. If value is below £50 there is no duty for the receiver to pay so I guess now we are out of the EU the rules will be similar. Customers overseas always ask you to put value below £50. The problem with that is then you are only insured for £50. Definitely a customs declaration for postage from now on both ways.
It depends the receiving country. For example Australia let's you import 1000 AUD tax free

https://www.abf.gov.au/buying-online/bu ... 0Australia.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:48 pm

Enrique wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:08 pmMy understanding(from a regular payment I make) that €15 per transfer to a Spanish Business account was in place last year, even when transferring from a Spanish account .
Its been noticed twice so far, both from uk accounts.

(I expect it would of been noticed before, the accountant notices centimos...)

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:17 pm

Were those payments both this year?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:55 am

in the last week Paddy

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25 am

Yep so that makes perfect sense. UK payments are not longer SEPA payments so the banks are free to charge what they want.