receiving BBC Radio 4 & radio 2

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

receiving BBC Radio 4 & radio 2

Postby alicia » Tue May 02, 2006 7:07 pm

Hi

Will become resident beginning of June - hurrah.....finally. Have had lots of good practical help with regard to getting Glady's my dog flown out - so am wondering if anyone can tell me best radio to purchase to be able to pick up Radio 4 and Radio 2 from the UK. Not got pc at present or laptop - probably be sometime before this is possible - not much I will miss from the UK but not being able to tune into Radio 4 and Radio 2 will be like cutting off my left-arm (not good as I am left-handed). I have heard Sangean is good make - but not sure best model!! Anyone able to advise - am not too bothered about TV but the radio is very important to me - would be grateful for any help at all. Many thanks.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue May 02, 2006 7:11 pm

You will not receive these stations on a normal radio. You may occasionally get Radio 4 on 198 long wave but only with a lot of background noise.

You will need a satellite receiver but the good news is that Radio 2 and Radio 4 (and Heart 106.2) can be received on an 80cm dish.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed May 03, 2006 11:37 am

i was gonna say sky dish too.. beach, have you got a list of radio stations that can be recieved on an 80cm? i´ve got one sitting in the garage and wondered about fitting it up just for this purpose...radio 1 for example? have you got any idea of the settings ? is it the same as the normal sky dish?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed May 03, 2006 12:07 pm

Radio 2 and Radio 4 are dual radiated on Astra 2D and on Astra 2B. This was a conscious decision by the BBC to enable these stations to continue to be received across Europe on a small dish when BBC TV ceased encryption and moved to Astra 2D a few years ago.

It is the transmissions from Astra 2B that can be received on an 80 cm dish and here is a list of the other radio stations on the south transponder:

Virgin Radio AM
Talk Sport
Yarr Radio
Heart 106.2 FM
Oneword
Primetime Radio
Jazz FM Blue Room E
Sunrise Radio
100.4 Smooth FM
The Saint
Real Radio Wales
LBC 97.3
Galaxy 105
The Arrow

I haven't tried them all but they should all be received on an 80cm dish.

Unfortunately the other BBC radio stations are not dual radiated so you will not receive Radio 1 on a small dish. However, have you tried Heart 106.2 FM. Lots of club classics and classic soul and disco! :D

Orientation and azimuth of the dish and offset of the LNB is exactly the same as for Astra 2D.

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Thu May 04, 2006 12:04 pm

Quite right Beachcomber, with our 80cm dish we get all the BBC stations and a load others, I like talk sport in the mnorning.
pwwm

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu May 04, 2006 3:14 pm

Do you mean that you also get BBC Radios 1, 3 and Five Live?