Strong Coffee

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
jonbar.1
Resident

Strong Coffee

Postby jonbar.1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:06 am

I like my coffee strong. :mrgreen:
I prefer "Grade 5" ground/filter coffee. I cannot get it in: Mercadona, Supersol or Lidl .They have "Grade 4" but not "5".
Aldi have a couple of packs but not showing which grade. :thumbdown:
Does anyone know, please, where I can definitely get "Grade.5" ?
I am currently using Mercadona's "Grade 4" with huge scoops !
Thankyou All
JB

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Strong Coffee

Postby Enrique » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:31 pm

Hi jonbar.1,

Have a look in Carrefour they have a selection of CAFÉ DE ETIOPIA ............ these have been approved by Mrs E......... :D

Etiopia Sidamo comes out high on her list........

None of the packets have Grade Number........
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:35 pm

Thanks Enrique ( & Mrs Enrique :) )
I've been experimenting for months,trying different brands ( without grades).
None of them have been any good.I have decided to stop just trying packs at random; now only interested in buying officially labelled " Grade 5"
At the moment I'm limited to a reasonable "4" from Mercadona; made tolerable by using very large scoops plus...( and this is not as crazy as it sounds) a pinch of Garam Masala!
Thankyou for your kind input Enrique.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:57 pm

We always used to use fresh ground coffee, sometimes buying the beans and grinding them ourselves. We've tried all sorts, from the named brands like Lavazzo and Santa Cristina, to supermarkets' own brands but have found them disappointing without any real flavour. In France we used to buy a Kenyan blend but haven't found anything like that here. The best coffee we have found recently, much to our surprise, is Carrefour's instant Ethiopian.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:44 pm

The subject of coffee, what is it about over priced costa coffee? Brits over here in Spain flock to costa coffee, why?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:18 pm

I wonder that too. all the overhyped different flavours I think. Next village to me has a lovely tea shop, good coffee and superb home made cakes and scones. Round the corner is Costa coffee and it has taken away a lot of their trade. They would rather have a fancy flavoured coffee and a tasteless cake slab wrapped in cellophane! I think it also is because they aren't proper coffee drinkers, I don't know many who like strong coffee.always get complaints that mine is too strong. If you get a good one in a Spanish place ask them which coffee they use.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:26 pm

Even though I said I had given up trying "ungraded" packs; I noted that both Enrique & Wicksey had mentioned Carrefour "Ethiopian"
Might just have a go at that.Thankyou both
Up until recently we used Mercadona's " Intenso".which was very good; but they don't have it now.
.....will report back.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:32 pm

I am transiting through France at the moment with their ghastly strong coffee. Cannot wait to get back to decent Spanish coffee.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:50 pm

Funny you say that. I find that Spanish espresso coffee is as strong as anything I have tasted. You may not choose to drink a “solo” but it’s the base for all the other coffees apart from decaf powdered coffee.

Sid

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:13 pm

Important update!
My missus has just picked up a pack of "Grade 5" from Eroski. :thumbup: It's the Lavazza brand.Will try it when we've finished with the current pack.
I'll report back if anyone's interested.
JB

robertinspain
Tourist

Postby robertinspain » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:33 pm

Interesting you mention the Lavazza from Eroski as I always use the Lavazza Crema e Gusto classico which is 8/10. Eroski has the biggest selection of coffee often reduced, give it a try. I make up my own capsules as being powdery it is very suitable or it can be use in the machines.

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:47 pm

I prefer instant coffee. Always have.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:05 pm

It turns out that the Lavazza "Grade5" my missus bought was THREE TIMES THE PRICE of the Mercadona grade.4",we're currently using.
So, when I try the Lavazza, it will have to be utterly fantastic for me to change.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:01 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:44 pm The subject of coffee, what is it about over priced costa coffee? Brits over here in Spain flock to costa coffee, why?
Good question and something I've often pondered, most places I frequent in Las Palmas will do you a nice coffee for around 1.25/1.50 and normally it's very good. Last year on the Paseo in Las Palmas Starbucks opened up charging a minimum 2.70 for a cafe con leche, they have virtually no local (Canarian) customers and are now close to bankruptcy (at least the franchisee is anyway) I've been in Arucas, out of town and been served with coffee for 90 cents !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:30 pm

Hi, I have found today in Lidl "Bellarom, Italian style, roast ground coffee strength number 5, a green and yellow pack, 227g I think it was 2.95.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:43 pm

Cheers Manchesteral.
Will check it out :thumbup:

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:08 pm

Last Weds I reported that my missus had picked up a pack of Lavazza "Grade 5".
Have tested it and found it to be no better than our current Mercadona "Grade 4"; and at almost three-times the price,not worth the switch : :thumbdown:
Will next try "Manchesteral's" suggestion of the Lidl "grade 5" " Bellarom".