Court Fine that needs paying

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
MANORBIER
Tourist

Court Fine that needs paying

Postby MANORBIER » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Any help would be appreciated with this. The problem I have is that at the end of August I got into an altercation in La Linea and ending up being arrested...(wasn't that bad!). I was issued a fine of 200 euros + 335 euros...a total of 535 euros. I wanted to pay it there and then but I had to provide an address in Spain so the fine could be sent there. I live in Gibraltar. I gave them my friend's address in Alcaidesa but since then no letter has arrived. It is over 2 months and I really want to get this paid. I had a telephone number on the court paperwork but those lines are dead. I also got someone to go to the police station in La Linea but they were no help. The place where they process the fines is possibly in Cadiz or maybe Algeciras. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. The reason could be this:
1. Due to covid...or general summer backlog they still haven't got around to it.
2. They might have sent it to the wrong address
Either way I need a contact number...or an address….or an email address, so I can put this to bed. Naturally I haven't been over to Spain since because I am worried that they will have me over for non payment of the fine.

pensure1988
Resident

Re: Court Fine that needs paying

Postby pensure1988 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:14 am

The general consensus of the advice given seems to be to contact your embassy in Spain (UK embassy if you're a Brit) and they can apparently check your record/status with the Spanish authorities. I'm a bit dubious that an embassy would perform tasks like that, but I'm no expert so they may do. Maybe get hold of a Lawyer in Spain and ask their advice

Good Luck

David

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:34 am

You were actually a tourist, why would they need an address in Spain if you don't live there, are you sure your facts are correct ?

MANORBIER
Tourist

Postby MANORBIER » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:23 am

Yes my facts are correct....why wouldn't they be? As a resident of Gibraltar I was not really a tourist as such. I had to provide a Spanish address because...for whatever reason...they were not going to send the summons/fine to my Gibraltar address.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:04 am

Checking with my friend who'se ex lives in Gibraltar he tells me that you should definitely NOT need a Spanish address if you have a blue Gibraltar registration card (which apparently has to be stamped on leaving and re entry to Gib and which is proof of address !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:38 pm

How many people visiting Spain would have a Spanish address to send a fine to? Being from Gib makes you a tourist surely as it is a different country to Spain.

MANORBIER
Tourist

Postby MANORBIER » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:08 pm

I can't believe why people are reacting to my post like this. Surprisingly I was there....in the cell...in the court and I wasn't allowed out until I provided an address in Spain for the fine to be sent to. Whether that is right or wrong is neither here nor there. It actually happened like that. Don't know why I even bothered coming on here....jesus...

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:22 pm

It could be because your story doesn't ring true !

I do know for sure that tourists fined for "altercation" are not allowed to leave without paying the fine instantly, I know this to be true because I witnessed it first hand in Las Palmas where two big mouthed brits were causing trouble, they were taken to the local police station, their passports confiscated and they had to pay a fine of 1800 euros before they were released !

MANORBIER
Tourist

Postby MANORBIER » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:10 pm

I'm pretty speechless tbh....you really don't get it do you...unreal

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:46 pm

So now this newbie member is a liar and the poster about woman refused entry is also a dodgy person. Are you trying to upset everyone on here Manc Al?

MANORBIER
Tourist

Postby MANORBIER » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:17 pm

Thanks....it does appear that we have some sort of unhinged individual out there.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:48 am

This stops now or the thread will be closed and offenders against forum rules removed.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:25 pm

Poor you how frustrating. Could you get the help of a solicitor in Spain to check it out!

I got a traffic fine in the UK last time I was there, but as I was a tourist the dropped it. Thankfully. Could they have done that. Seems daft if you were a tourist to insist you give an address in Spain and so possibly there is no case to answer. As they cannot do much about it me thinks.

But I would get a Spanish Solicitor to look into it for you!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

MANORBIER
Tourist

Postby MANORBIER » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:08 pm

Thanks...I have now got to the point that I have found out that the admin on fines is done in one of the five courts in Algeciras.....it's a real saga this one. But I am getting towards the end game....hopefully....but not holding my breath!!