Staying in Granada

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
slamminhammo
Tourist

Staying in Granada

Postby slamminhammo » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:48 am

Hi All,
Can anyone advise about staying & car parking in Granada.
We aim to be staying there early March for a few days midweek
What araea is best to stay
For an outsider it seems difficult to find out where exactly to be in advance.
Would it be best to find accommodation and ask them about parking?
Any help appreciated
TIA
Graham

Cádiz
Resident

Re: Staying in Granada

Postby Cádiz » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:55 am

booking.com or any of the hotel websites will list the services that's provided... watch the small print in parking as some will say limited supply...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:09 am

We do quite a few city breaks and they all have central parking. Toledo we paid 15 euros for 24 hours, Cordoba was 19 but that was secure, limited availabilty hotel parking.( you got a key). Parking nearby was 16 for 24 hours in public parking.

There are similar public parkings in Granada. - for example next to the Cathedral. As Cadiz says, have a look for the area you want to be in eg the Cathedral and then google parking nearby.

Depending on what you intend to do, I would look for a hotel between the cathedral, Albaicin and Alhambra. Buses are plentiful and cheap . The Albaicin area is hilly so get a bus to the top and stroll back down. Granada has an excellent tram system but it is more for commuters and doesnt stop very near many tourist attractions.

Oh and like any major tourist attractions , watch out for pickpockets. They are expert as we found out but dont be put off by that!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:12 am

We stayed in the Hotel Granada Center, which was walking distance to the old town and as far as I remember had plenty of free street parking but if you prefer, it also has paid secure parking.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:42 pm

Alot of the hotels right in the centre of granada have parking. As cadiz said have a look on booking.com and you can filter the facilities ie parking then i normally filter in best reviewed.

Be aware of the rules for driving in the center. They have cameras as only registared cars can enter.. obviously if the hotel is in that area they will registar your car

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:28 pm

Last time we visited, we stayed here: https://www.hotelmonjasdelcarmen.com/ Hotel has private parking, very central, very satisfied. As well as ensuring the hotel registers your car, make sure you know how to get there with the one-way systems in place, so that you don't stray from the permited area!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:39 pm

elusive wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:42 pm Be aware of the rules for driving in the center. They have cameras as only registared cars can enter.. obviously if the hotel is in that area they will registar your car
What's that all about then? It's not the ECO sticker you're talking about is it?
https://upsticks.es/driving-in-spain-ec ... d-to-know/
The stickers are available from the Post Office for 5€ and are now required for a number of major cities. I see our petrol cars are in the C category which is based on the year of manufacture (B is for older cars). Looks like if you have a diesel car registered before 2006 and before 2000 for petrol cars you cannot get a sticker.

I have also found this:
https://www.eltis.org/in-brief/news/gra ... -pollution
It looks like you need a sticker to enter the city centre and street parking is only for residents of that area, and that visitors must only park in underground carparks. Not sure of the boundaries of this low emission zone.
Last edited by Wicksey on Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:56 pm

I think this explains it: http://www.movilidadgranada.com/zon_acc ... ?idioma=en

I seem to remember the hotel I mentioned gave us detailed directions for the route to use to reach them
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:20 pm

The age basis for the sticker is pretty useless really isn't it? We followed an F reg car the other day that was emitting a huge cloud of black smoke, so bad we could not see past it when I overtook it on the motorway and it stunk to high heaven. It was horrendous but is possibly entitled to a sticker if it was a diesel registered after 2006 (our old F reg car was 2007). There are loads of stinking old cars that come past our house, all with ITV stickers. Not sure how well the low emission zone is working and looks quite complicated compared to the old days when we just used to drive into a city centre without thinking about restrictions. I'm glad it was mentioned on here as it looks like other cities here have the system, like Sevilla?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:07 pm

Wicksey wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:39 pm
elusive wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:42 pm Be aware of the rules for driving in the center. They have cameras as only registared cars can enter.. obviously if the hotel is in that area they will registar your car
What's that all about then? It's not the ECO sticker you're talking about is it?
The stickers are available from the Post Office for 5€ and are now required for a number of major cities. I see our petrol cars are in the C category which is based on the year of manufacture (B is for older cars). Looks like if you have a diesel car registered before 2006 and before 2000 for petrol cars you cannot get a sticker.

I have also found this:
It looks like you need a sticker to enter the city centre and street parking is only for residents of that area, and that visitors must only park in underground carparks. Not sure of the boundaries of this low emission zone.
I couldnt say wicksey. I presumed the cameras were just to help keep congestion down in the centre.restricted to workers and residents. The cameras have been there for many years

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:42 pm

elusive wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:07 pm
I couldnt say wicksey. I presumed the cameras were just to help keep congestion down in the centre.restricted to workers and residents. The cameras have been there for many years
You'll get a fine now if you enter without the appropriate sticker it seems. Useful to know.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:47 pm

I will look out for mine then. Had to turn left the other day to avoid being in bus /taxi/ elite lane only to find going wrong direction really. Hey ho if. I get fined I will just put it down to a donation to the wellbeing of Granada. We did find an excellent fried fish restaurant. So win win.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:25 am

we stayed in a hotel called sacramonte - https://goo.gl/maps/sYSAMFHWg5Ltkjxu8 it was only €30 a night, right in the centre.

The parking for it is next to it, up a "no entry without a badge" street.. we got a ticket in the post, but luckily we only drove in, left the car there for 2 or 3 days, then drove out. If we had used the car every day it would of been expensive. We didnt know about the permit thingy, or eco stickers at the time
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:29 am

oh and this : https://goo.gl/maps/ev6dy9rMB8yi7PYF8 is a very nice resturant, llegado andalusi
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:41 am

Wicksey wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:39 pm

I have also found this:
Just reading these articles wicksey. The cameras in granada have been there years the same as the ones in cordoba that resrict entry to the old centres.so different to the new laws coming in as per these articles . The new laws are about street parking in the centre and certain other areas only being allowed for residents and deliveries etc. Parking meters will be phased out and visitors will have to go in underground d carparks. As time goes on even residents with old cars will be banned from street parking

slamminhammo
Tourist

Postby slamminhammo » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:02 pm

Thank you for all your reponses. Booked an apartment right in the centre and the owners are meeting us at the car park and arranging the taxi to the property.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:45 pm

We have driven many times in the centre of Granada and never knew about restrictions or stickers.We always parked underground, perhaps we managed to stay clear of the areas which are restricted without even knowing and that's why we have never had a ticket..

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:53 pm

I think the restrictions have come about in very recent years Pamela. More cities seem to be introducing them so it's worth checking in advance as it's something I wouldn't have known about before this thread. I haven't been to Granada for years but like you, just used to drive in and find a carpark in the centre.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:29 pm

They have big signs as you approach the the restricted areas pamela. Its very near to the old centre in some parts. So if you are parking up in in a underground within a 5-10min walk of the tourist centre you should be ok.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:41 pm

I will mention it to the drivers in the family to watch for the signs next time they drive in..