More Mouths to Feed..

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

More Mouths to Feed..

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:44 pm

To begin with there was just one.
Then suddenly there were ten.
And now when I open the Museum door each morning I'm greeted by a sea of faces.
You may think that I'm referring to visitors to the museum.
Well yes they are visitors.
But they are in fact cats, mainly from a local feral cat colony with a few chancers who fancy a free meal.
So now I have another job, feeding the cats with breakfast and a few also turn up for supper.
Not a problem for me, apart from the fact that I'm very allergic to cats.
And you know, it actually pleases me now to see what healthy cats they have become.
And last week I was able to help re-home 2 little kittens,and now hopefully they will have a better safer life.
I had to catch the kittens myself, blimey I thought,what am I doing.
The first kitten came quietly, I picked it up gently ,wearing thick gloves, no problem.
But the second kitten attacked me with the ferocity of a wild tiger, I still have the scars to prove it.
For the next two hours I sat talking quietly to the kittens , now safely in a cat box.
The wild thing was now calm and listened to me waffling on, funny how cats understand all languages.
After the kind lady had collected them to take them to their new home, I started to wheeze....
It took about 4 hours for my breathing to return to normal, helped by drinking a few beers..
But was it worth the effort, definitely yes..
Saludos,
Gordon...part time tiger tamer. :wink:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: More Mouths to Feed..

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:41 am

Is there a local animal charity that can help Gordon? Trouble is, if those cats aren't caught and neutered, you'll soon have twice that number to feed!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:00 am

Wicksey,
Thank you and yes there is a small charity group here,I actually support them through the museum, they do a good job with abandoned dogs etc., and do try to arrange for cats to be neutered, but surprisingly they get a lot of nasty comments on facebook about interfering with nature.
But you never see the 'nasty' people actually doing anything to help the cats and up to now I've not had any complaints from my neighbours about encouraging the gatherings outside the museum, in fact some have also been leaving food for them.
I will try and push your suggestion about neutering them Wicksey, the cats I mean of course, not the nasty people...although. :think:
Saludos,
Gordon..

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:29 am

Hmm. We encountered the same comments after neutering our pets. This from the same people that dispose of unwanted litters in a barbaric way. I will spare the reader the details.

Loja is initiating a neutering programme for the feral colony of cats near the gestor behind Plaza Victoria. People have been feeding and watering them for years. Maybe Loja Ayo will have details.

Hunting season now so expect to see abandoned, unchipped of course, underperforming dogs.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:35 pm

I despair really when I see all the little colonies of cats out in the campo. I know that the kittens are disposed of, and how they can think that is less cruel than sterilising I'll never know. I keep hoping that the younger generation will learn that this is not the way to carry on and that things will change in time, but without a catch, neuter and return programme where there are colonies, the situation will only continue.

Glad to hear that you're coping for now Gordon with some support too. I do hope you'll get the local charity to help you.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:30 am

Thank you Olive, I know what you mean about the hunting dogs, last night I saw a new Podenco face on the streets, although I'm aware of the hunters antics regarding underperforming dogs, I think this one is just lost.
Podencos just run and run and run ,so quite a few are really just lost, not abandoned, so I hope that this dog is reunited soon.
Good to hear that some councils are taking a more responsible view to controlling the feral cat population, about time.

Thanks Wicksey, the little animal help group here are doing a fantastic job , but as always hampered by not having enough funds.
I'll keep doing what I can with the cats etc., but at the moment I've got quite a lot on my plate one way or another.

Saludos,
Gordon

BunnyAndBear
Tourist

Postby BunnyAndBear » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:44 pm

Dear Gordon, I hope you got your rabies shots after being bitten by a feral animal. I'm sure you know the risks, just reminding it is serious.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:42 am

Bunnyandbear...like the name...Thank you for reminding me....Your concern is appreciated...

Saludos, Gordon....( Mad dog and Englishman )

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:22 pm

Just a quick feline update..

The emaciated ,starving and ill cats who first come for breakfast at' Bistro Gordon' are now very contented and fat cats and they all think that I'm their Dad. :shock:
They are very affectionate towards me now, what a difference to my first encounters with them, but because of my allergy I have to be careful.
Anyway I managed to find another new home for one of the older cats, although the numbers don't seem to go down, new faces arriving each week.
Saludos,
Gordon the Cat Man....blimey , who'd of thought ..?

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:59 am

Benidorm well done :thumbup: :clap: :angel:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:18 pm

Thank you Patricia...

I've now got 5 very regular cat visitors and a few chancers who hang around hoping there is something left for them.
I had a good look at the famous five this morning and they do look really healthy now compared with a few months ago.
I have been giving them a cod liver oil capsule each day so hope that it's helped, I have given my dogs a capsule everyday for a few years now, nice soft glossy coats if nothing else.
Anyway I will keep trying to find permanent homes for them, 5 re-homed up to now..

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:42 pm

You've done well Gordon!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:45 am

Thank you Wicksey, :thumbup:

I'm still feeding the former thin cats who are all now fat cats.
I wish that I could do more for them, but being so allergic to cats I'm limited to what I can do.
The cats really think that I'm their Dad and are very affectionate, and I stroke them and talk to them but then have to wash my hands quickly , what a pain having allergies !
I have been able to rehome another cat but his place was quickly taken by another, I think there is a waiting list for Gordon's Diner now. :D
Anyway I will carry on doing what I can.
Saludos,
Gordon the CatWheezer.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed May 17, 2023 1:59 pm

I think what you are doing is heroic, Gordon, but your friends will only multiply exponentially year on year.

We found four orphaned kittens on our finca a few years ago and adopted them, had them neutered, feed them and do all the pills and potions to keep them healthy. They have names and respond to them and like to be stroked but are outside campo cats. They and their food attract other feral cats and over the years we have had cat-catching expeditions and rehoused them and sometimes the local vet steps in and also finds homes for them. However, it's all getting ridiculous. The current batch of wild cats fight ours for the food and are multiplying fast. Today we rounded up six cats and took them to the vet. The local cat shelter is full, they are taking no more cats and are appealing for donations and funds. The vet is not sure he can help.

He told us that:
it is against the law to euthanise a healthy animal
ditto shoot or kill in any way
it is against the law to abandon animals in the campo
it is not against the law to starve animals to death
it is not against the law to leave animals unneutered to reproduce every few months

Go figure!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu May 18, 2023 6:39 am

Seems I may be wrong about some things as the vet told me last night that people ARE supposed to neuter their pets.
Here's the 'latest' animal laws in Spain:

https://www.thelocal.es/20220216/explai ... ection-law

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu May 18, 2023 8:30 am

But who will police it?

For example the family with perpetual young dogs ( puppies to one or two years old)

Not withstanding, it is a huge step in the right direction. Next step is to get hunting dogs included as sentient creatures.I cannot see that happening if the right/far right get in.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu May 18, 2023 9:22 am

We had a conversation with an electrian friend about the new animal laws when he came to the house to do a repair in April.He told us it has gone from one extreme to another.His father who is retired and home all day has a pet dog which sleeps outside during the night in a kennel outside their door in the enclosed yard... The police called and said he can't allow his dog to sleep in the kennel, it has to live inside the house..Many dogs sleep in kennels in the Uk aswell as all around the world..

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu May 18, 2023 3:00 pm

Thank you Lavanda.

I was trying to understand the latest changes regarding animal laws, I am now rather confused...

I still have 5 regular cats visiting Gordons street soup kitchen,twice a day, but also a few fairly regular visitors who hang around until the fat cats have finished.
Luckily I've now managed to rehome 6 kittens plus one older cat, but as stated by others the vacancies are soon filled by other feral or abandoned cats.
They are all really friendly , which for me is a bit of a pain, being highly allergic to cats, if I stroke them I have to wash my hands immediately and the other day I was attempting to clean one with a baby wipe and it accidently scratched me,instantly I look as if I've been mauled by a tiger. :shock:
I can't really afford to have them neutered etc. but give them a cod liver oil capsule daily and it does seem to help.
I also give my 3 Podenco rescue dogs a cod liver oil capsule daily , not sure if it actually helps but they've got nice shiny coats and are still quite active, now aged 14, 13 and 9, by the way...
Anyway good to hear about others helping our four legged friends and although mainly feral cats ours are better behaved than some of the feral expats that I've had the misfortune to meet... :lol:
Saludos,
Gordon.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 18, 2023 3:09 pm

Is there a local charity that can help with the neutering Gordon, as they will rapidly increase in numbers otherwise!

There are posters locally advertising a neutering programme for street cats, and I know some vets do carry out the op at cost price. We are pestered by a Tomcat that is really spooking ours, but I'm pretty sure it 'belongs' to a Spanish man up the hill so not sure we should be taking it for castration, although it is tempting. We think another cat may also be calling but haven't seen it clearly yet. If it is a female then I would try to catch it otherwise it will just be reproducing all the time.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu May 18, 2023 5:33 pm

Wicksey,
Yes there are a few local charities, but they all seem overwhelmed and I don't like to ask them, I have been supporting various animal organisations ,so maybe I should try and get them 'seen to ' with my own funds. ..The cats I mean, not the organisations. :D
I would have to get someone to take them to a vet, we don't have a vet in our village and I really can't travel in enclosed spaces with a cat... :shock: