Nispero problem

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
fearfulfred
Resident

Nispero problem

Postby fearfulfred » Sun May 14, 2006 7:54 pm

Hello all

I have this tree , i believe is called a nispero tree. It does not look well to me but have no idea about them , never having seen one before. There seems to be old fruit dried and hard on it and the leaves have gone brown in many places. I do know that they have two years with hard frost here and maybe that accounts for some of the damage. If anyone knows of anyway to treat it I would be much obliged
Thanks

these are two pictures i took today

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:57 pm

Looks like a nispero and not very well. It's what in England is usually called a loquat. A bit like a medlar. A friend had one that looked sick like yours (leaves should be a healthier green and not so shrivelled up) and it was a kind of fruit fly that had infected it. He gave it a good spray and it perked up the next year. If it's frost, there's not much you can do except prune and hope but I think unlikely as they are not as affected by frost as citrus trees.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sun May 14, 2006 10:05 pm

Thanks Lis

i will try spraying. Must try to find the right stuff. Doubt the ferreteria will have it but will have a look in one of the big stores on the coast next time i am there.

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Sun May 14, 2006 10:12 pm

the shriveled up black fruit is probably not a problem, just last year's (or older) unpicked crop, which will dry up as you describe. Ours was like that, a good prune , and a great improvement. we seem to miss some fruit each year, and always notice them much later when dried up etc. They do get affected by frost and cold weather, we had very little last year, and the tree did look rather poorly as described, but is fine now.
Best get someone locally to actualy look at it and confirm diagnosis

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sun May 14, 2006 10:16 pm

Yes I will be cutting out dead leaves and fruit and today did give it a bit of fertilizer. I'm not much of a gardener so it is lucky i am getting input from the forum! This came with the house so i must deal with it

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Sun May 14, 2006 11:53 pm

I have several dotted about my place and have noticed that they require regular watering and lots of it.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon May 15, 2006 12:12 am

post a better picture of the whole tree.

its really been planted too close to that palm tree - thats taking all the water from the ground. its too big to move now really, so i would remove the lower branches, wether they bear fruit or not. remove ALL the dead and damaged fruit (it´ll snap off). remove any branches without fruit / buds / flowers. remove any dead leaves. water - dig out a "trench" around the tree or mound up some soil to create a .. moat... around the tree, leave a hose in there for a while and fill it up till it no longer soaks away. repeat this whenever you feel like it (cant really do it too much unless u leave it on all the time)

the same applies really for fruit trees of most kinds. they need plenty of water and generous pruning. the more water they get generally means the better the fruit will be. Why do you think that orange farmers have irigation systems set up?

dont worry too much its only a tree :)

in caserbermeja as you go down the hill towards the motorway theres a ferreteria that specializes in "campo" products - take a branch (with curled leaves and bugs) into him and see what spray he recomends.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Mon May 15, 2006 7:46 am

Thanks for the tips Spanish lad. You're right the palm is too close but when you move in "you takes what you gets". I don't want to lose the palm either so will try diligent watering. Will also drop in to that ferreteria as we have developed the habit of going to the one in Colmenar instead . For the first few months Colmenar was the place were we could connect to a wireless Internet setup as some nice people were allowing us access, now we have Iberbanda at the house and may never go out again!

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Mon May 15, 2006 8:19 am

Spanish Lad
here are the pictures I juts took. Lovely morning out there , too nice to stay in
Not easy to photograph as it on the hill
Thanks again
Pat

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Mon May 15, 2006 12:14 pm

As has already been suggested, give it plenty of water and take off the old fruit with a gentle prune.

Out of interest - has anyone moved a tree of this size successfully? I am going to have to and was thinking about wrapping it in hessian with plenty of water.

Any ideas?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon May 15, 2006 6:08 pm

ermmmmmmmmmmm the roots will be as wide as the tree is high, i wouldn´t bother ? but if you do...unless you want to dig a 20ft wide hole, you´ll have to dig round the tree after watering the soil for a day - it might come out if you dig about a metre hole around the tree. wiggle it dig it lever it it might come, chop off any roots that are too long to dig out.

personally? i´d kill it and buy another one. its not really worth the work.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.