Religion in schools

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
juliesteve&joe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Religion in schools

Postby juliesteve&joe » Sun May 14, 2006 11:23 am

Hi, we are moving ove rin august and have a boy who is a little young for school yet, but in a couple of years I want him to go to the local state spanish school in the village we are moving to.

He has been christened CofE in england, and though I have no problem with him attending a catholic school I am a little worried when it comes to communion time etc. Will he be left out or encouraged to join in?

Any info about small rural spanish primary schools would be greatly recieved
thanks
Julie

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

religion

Postby pilgrim » Sun May 14, 2006 9:05 pm

Our C of E 6 yr old gets extra Spanish lessons, as in the religion class they are not taught by the teacher but by someone from the Church who prepares them for thier 1st communion.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Sun May 14, 2006 10:15 pm

I think most non-Spanish children will not be taught religion, and as mentioned above will be given extra Spanish lessons instead, as is my youngest son. Friends who have children at another local school tell me that their children have 'etico' instead of religion which teaches them morals etc. but they seem to spend most of the lessons colouring in! :wink:

juliesteve&joe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby juliesteve&joe » Mon May 15, 2006 10:03 am

Great- thats alleviated my worries a litlle. Thanks for taking the time to answer
Julie

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Mon May 15, 2006 9:41 pm

religion is Not compulsory within the syllabus, and whentaken should be general religion, rather than specific catechism etc, tho, when our childrens religionteacher was onmaternity leave, the over zealous supply techer, had them on their kneees praying which caused quite a furore amongst the Spanish parents.

\the issue with the 1st communion is a difficult one, as they do see al;l their friends doing it ( and geting some fabulous prezzies) so tend to want to join in, as does my daughter, who if it can be done will be doing hers next year, so best I start some serious saving!!!!
She is interested , not ofr the presents but genuinely seems to want to become a church member, which I dont really have any objection to, as at the end of the day the choice should be the individuals, even at 10- yrs old!!

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Tue May 16, 2006 12:32 am

My daughter takes religion at school but didn't do her first communion (and won't be), there is no pressure from the school what so ever.