Needed to reset password today

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
knowal
Resident

Needed to reset password today

Postby knowal » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:22 pm

That was a curved ball!

I went to login to the forum this evening, first time for a week or two and the password was wrong???
Except that it was not, because my passwords are stored in Chrome and are automatically entered.
It was necessary to use the "I forgot my password" facility and reset the password that way. I also noticed there are few active topics and wonder if other people are not able to login.

Anyone else had trouble?

If you can't login and the forum tells you your password is wrong, use the "forgot password" link, enter your email and reset it that way.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Needed to reset password today

Postby gerryh » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:54 am

The same thing happened to me.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:41 am

Me too. Had to reset. Enrique also has had problems, not sure if he is back in or not.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:48 pm

Mine's OK - it loads automatically.
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Curiouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Curiouse » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:15 pm

Same for me , normally logs me in automatically from an external Password manager but this time it said wrong password , tried manually entering it and that didn't work either so tried Reset Password but waited an hour and still didn't get the email so in the end had to make new account and while waiting for it to be approved the reset password email came through so im back on the old one .

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:24 pm

Same for me, password wasn't wrong but i couldn't log in so i went through the route of forgotten password and reset it.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:37 pm

Just got back in to forum. Ive been locked out all week.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:06 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:24 pm Same for me, password wasn't wrong but i couldn't log in so i went through the route of forgotten password and reset it.
Yes I had to do the same. I have a password manager but it still came up as incorrect.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:56 pm

I have contacted Admin about this problem and this is their reply. I am posting it as they are locked out as well!

Dear Members,
We have discovered some accounts appear to have had their password auto reset. We are not sure why and not sure of the extent. Then members when trying to log in too many times with the 'wrong password', by wrong, we mean their original password rather than the new one which is unknown to them, is causing their accounts to be deactivated. The forum software then prevents a 'deactivated' account holder from being sent the 'I forgot my password' email. This is proving difficult to resolve. We can only thank members for posting the problems here as it has helped us understand it. Thanks also for member patience. We will keep you updated here.
Forum Admin

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:48 pm

El Cid wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:56 pm I have contacted Admin about this problem and this is their reply. I am posting it as they are locked out as well!

Dear Members,
We have discovered some accounts appear to have had their password auto reset. We are not sure why and not sure of the extent. Then members when trying to log in too many times with the 'wrong password', by wrong, we mean their original password rather than the new one which is unknown to them, is causing their accounts to be deactivated. The forum software then prevents a 'deactivated' account holder from being sent the 'I forgot my password' email. This is proving difficult to resolve. We can only thank members for posting the problems here as it has helped us understand it. Thanks also for member patience. We will keep you updated here.
Forum Admin

Sid
Cid, Would it not be helpful to post an email address on here so if members are locked out you or admin can help them remotely. I was locked out for a week and kept an eye on the forum until a member posted about reset my password. Other members must be looking for a way back in.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:05 pm

There is an online contact form on the main website. https://www.andalucia.com/contact.htm

That's one way of contacting Admin.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:40 pm

I suspected something was amiss when I couldn't log on. After checking on another gadget, my first reaction was that the site might have been hacked so I changed my password, which allowed me back in.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:50 pm

markwilding wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:40 pm I suspected something was amiss when I couldn't log on. After checking on another gadget, my first reaction was that the site might have been hacked so I changed my password, which allowed me back in.
almost certainly the site was hacked

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:07 pm

Dear Members,

The good news is that we have been able to find the problem with the passwords and now need to work with members to help them access their accounts again.

We have regained admin access control of the 'andalucia' admin account. The most likely cause of the problem was when we upgrade PHP on the server from version 7.3 to 7.4 at 05.00 hrs on Monday 7 November 2022. This did not alter the passwords, but it rendered the encrypted storage of passwords unreadable. Some members were able to use the 'I forgot my password' routine to reset a new password. Others were not as they had tried more than three times to log in the sending of the reset link was suspended.

So now we are contacting members and either requesting they reset their password, or sending them a reset link, or helping change their email on file. We are working though the list of members who have posted (or will post) on this thread or who have sent an email to [email protected].

Apologies for the inconvenience and the time it has taken us to solve the issue.

Best wishes

Forum Admin

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:05 am

andalucia wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:07 pm Dear Members,

The good news is that we have been able to find the problem with the passwords and now need to work with members to help them access their accounts again.

We have regained admin access control of the 'andalucia' admin account. The most likely cause of the problem was when we upgrade PHP on the server from version 7.3 to 7.4 at 05.00 hrs on Monday 7 November 2022. This did not alter the passwords, but it rendered the encrypted storage of passwords unreadable. Some members were able to use the 'I forgot my password' routine to reset a new password. Others were not as they had tried more than three times to log in the sending of the reset link was suspended.

So now we are contacting members and either requesting they reset their password, or sending them a reset link, or helping change their email on file. We are working though the list of members who have posted (or will post) on this thread or who have sent an email to [email protected].

Apologies for the inconvenience and the time it has taken us to solve the issue.

Best wishes

Forum Admin
excellent news especially for all the members who are still blocked.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:37 pm

Dear Members,

We believe we have now responded to all the members who contacted us for help because they were unable to login to the forum and unable to reset their password themselves with the ‘I forgot my password’ link on the login page.

We have found the best method to help these members was for us to reset their passwords manually and advise them by email to login with this reset password and then change it themselves in the 'User Control Panel' to another password of their choice. This will require a message to admin to activate the account again.

If any member is still having problems logging into the forum, please send an email to forum Admin on [email protected] An alternative method is the general website contact us link that El Cid posted above.

Apologies to all for the inconvenience.

Forum Admin

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:23 pm

Hurrah, back online.

Thank you Admin for all the help. :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:22 am

I am logged in on here, iPad but locked out of desktop.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:23 am

Good morning Katy,
On your iPad do a password reset then manually login on desktop with new password.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:54 pm

im back pahahah cant get rid of me that easily ;)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.