Health screening on Spanish NHS

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Health screening on Spanish NHS

Postby katy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Wicksey wrote:Mine was in July and I still haven't heard! I have known friends get their letters after 5 months but 7 months is something else. Hopefully, if they had sent me a letter it wasn't lost and wasn't something more urgent!
Could you not check with your GP. results are usually sent to them too.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:01 pm

I forgot to mention it last time I was there Katy. If I don't hear I'll make a point of asking next visit.

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 am

I had a routine mammogram in December 2016. In January 2017 I got a cal back for ultrasound and a week later a biopsy. all done by telephone. at the start of February i had surgery and at the end of April all radiotherapy was complete. Checkup in December 2017 gave an all clear- All appointments were Phone calls rather than letters. I now have 6 monthly checks which will also be made by phone. I have nothing but praise for the efficiency and treatment. I would say if you've not heard its good news.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Thank you Sujee. Glad to hear that you had successful and prompt treatment and are now clear.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Wicksey wrote:Mine was in July and I still haven't heard! I have known friends get their letters after 5 months but 7 months is something else. Hopefully, if they had sent me a letter it wasn't lost and wasn't something more urgent!
My wife's appointment was on 20 06 2017, the all clear letter was sent out and dated 20 12 2017
Gerry

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Mine was 26 July so maybe it is on its way ... although goodness knows why it takes so long to send out a letter.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:06 pm

Ha .... was in my post box yesterday when I went .... letter dated 19 January!

Weewoody
Tourist

Postby Weewoody » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:33 pm

Sorry to revive an old query. Does anyone have any idea how long mammogram results are taking at Comarcal Hospital in Velez Malaga?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:20 pm

I noticed (belatedly) that bowel cancer screening had been mentioned in this thread but nobody said they'd had experience of any screening in Andalucia. Both my husband and I (he in 2018 and me in 2019) received letters from the Junta inviting us to take part in bowel cancer screening. After we had returned the slip saying we would like to do this, we received stool sample kits through the post, with instructions on how to collect and store the sample. We then had to drop the samples off at the Centro de Salud (by prior appointment) and some weeks later got letters saying they had tested negative. I don't know if this will be repeated at regular intervals.

PS Found this information - the screening process covers those aged 50-69 and should be repeated every 2 years. My husband must have just squeaked in when he was 68 and I forgot I didn't return my invitation the first time because I was dealing with another cancer issue at the time. They sent me another invitation the following year (2020) so perhaps I will get a second test soon.

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/presiden ... eAndalucia