It's RAINING!!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

It's RAINING!!!

Postby gavilan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:14 pm

it's been raining sweet and steady since mid evening ... first real rain since April ... 7 months!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: It's RAINING!!!

Postby gavilan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:26 pm

and when it stops, it will be safe to have bonfires!!!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:48 am

Isn't it amazing! We'd booked a painter to start today to turn our calima mucky walls white again, so you can thank me lol. Sod's law! But I'm very happy to see the rain, the walls can wait.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:55 am

forecast had said heavy rain with thunder and lightening all through the night ... however ... rain stopped around midnight!!! ,,, and has made no difference to water level in stream ... still a trickle ... I give up!!!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:22 pm

We had thunder and lightening in the night although I slept through it! Enough to water the garden at lease. More promised later this week. So often it passes behind us and we get very little, but it needs to rain for about a year to make any difference to Lake Viñuela I think.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:33 pm

Tormentas was guessed but like you didn't disturb me. My station measured exactly 2cm for the event.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:23 pm

We have had rain on and off for over three weeks now and more is forecast. Good. We need a huge lot more.

Good luck with your bonfires, Gavilan. The Junta de Extremadura have banned bonfires for private people as it is 'polluting'. Finca owners are told to compost instead. Not sure how long olive branches take to compost but we can burn them in the wood burning stoves. I wonder when those will be banned? Life would be much easier if we could take the agricultural waste to the Bio Mass down the road and so help make energy but they only burn specially cut and chipped trees imported from halfway around the world — just to keep them nice and environmentally friendly, you know.

Anyway, the rain is good.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:46 pm

well, here I am again ... waiting for the rain that is forecast tonight to arrive ... vamos a ver ... and heavy stuff forecast for most of Friday ... I can but hope!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:18 pm

Lavanda wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:23 pm
Good luck with your bonfires, Gavilan. The Junta de Extremadura have banned bonfires for private people as it is 'polluting'. Finca owners are told to compost instead. Not sure how long olive branches take to compost but we can burn them in the wood burning stoves. I wonder when those will be banned? Life would be much easier if we could take the agricultural waste to the Bio Mass down the road and so help make energy but they only burn specially cut and chipped trees imported from halfway around the world — just to keep them nice and environmentally friendly, you know.

Anyway, the rain is good.
I'm amazed at that. Here they burn all the time. Today our valley has been shrouded in thick smelly smoke and I know they burn the old plants from the greenhouses quite regularly, and I've seen the old plastic go onto the fire as well. At the weekend my German neighbour Whatsapped to ask me if the Spanish house next door was on fire as he could see so much smoke on his CCTV cameras in the garden. It was just Jose having a huge stinking bonfire as usual :roll:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:12 pm

We have alway had bonfires with the Permiso de Quemar but no longer. Apparently people are protesting and there is talk of a week in January for bonfires but we have to learn new ways of getting rid of brambles etc and chemicals aren’t allowed either.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:11 pm

We have a shredder. Takes a bit longer than standing over a fire.

Olive farmers are expected to dispose of the considerable prunings by industrial shredding ( copes with up to wrist thick or more depending on the kit) . Sadly it hasn’t stopped some burning in small piles often in the verges which we are supposed to protect.

The asparagus farmers here ( that supply Huetor asparagus to all Mercadonas) still burn off the top growth creating hideous pollution. It is difficult stuff to dispose of after the soft growth stage.

Rain forecast for Thursday.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:22 am

We have a shredder, as well, and it makes great mulch which helps the plants through the worst of the Summer. However, ours runs off the generator which is great in the Summer as it runs off solar power, but in the Winter it's not very environmentally-friendly as it runs off petrol. Making huge piles of vegetation to keep until the Summer is nerve-wracking because of the risk of fire when it gets dry.

I love all the environmental stuff but the practice is sometimes not without some sort of risk.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:38 am

We pay a gardener to come in for a day once a year and do a big cutback of all the bigger trees and bushes. He then takes vanloads of the trimmings down to the rubbish skips. We don't burn garden rubbish and did try a shredder but we ended up just putting it all on the area we put the smaller lots of cuttings anyway rather than using it as mulch. Our garden is rather rustic and a lot is untouched campo and wild so it's not a neat and tidy garden. We also have a lot of oleanders which cannot be burned as they are poisonous so we just want that taken away when it's cut back. Anything we can burn on the fire is saved and seasoned, so we have lots of kindling and a few larger branches that we can use over the winter.

One of our neighbours does have an industrial shredder and although it's way across the valley, the noise of it running for hours every day drives us mad. There's definitely more strimming going on these days rather than using weedkiller but I can't see them stopping the bonfires here.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:56 pm

maybe we should all buy a Mazda and drive it using '... 100 per cent agricultural waste, including straw and waste from crops that couldn’t be used for consumption ... '
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mazda-complet ... 34123.html

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:45 pm

We have an oleander hedge and we put the poisonous trimmings in bags and put them in “ general waste” bins. Don’t know whether that is allowed or not.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:20 pm

We're lucky to have a punto limpia nearby and there are skips there where everything gets dumped. Sometimes the contents of an entire house are left there but usually all over the ground as they can't fit it all into the skips. The council just scoop it all up with a JCB put it into skips and cart it away, they're pretty good really. (A bit off subject, but with these huge areas of bins on the way out of our valley we get really annoyed that rubbish is dumped all over the campo rather than chucked in the bins as they pass. I followed a car that chucked paper out of the window not 50m from the punto limpio site. My other half counted 37 cigarette packets in a space of 100m up the road from us .... if he collected them all up over the years there'd be hundred of them.)

I haven't seen the council cleaning the gutters out at the side of the road so far, they usually do when there's rain forecast. If the forecast is correct, it does look like we shall get a fair bit tomorrow.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:52 pm

Our council had the same problem with rural bins and cured irresponsible dumping by installing cctv on a very tall pole. Might just be dummies but it worked.

The ‘ejecting’ rubbish from moving vehicles in the campo is a real problem. They live mostly in towns or villages and claim to respect the campo. We followed a tractor with the driver drinking water from a plastic bottle. He then struggled to open a side window and then punted it out. It was someone we have met. It is their country.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:57 pm

according to meteomalaga, we have had 7.3mm of rain so far today ... also an orange warning but no sign of tormentas or chubascos here yet

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:51 am

Raining like crazy here and everyone is happy.

We have a few village people who drive to the outskirts of the village, just into the campo, and empty their car ashtrays.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:10 pm

been raining steadily since last evening ... and just had first lightening and thunderclap ... suppose to expect power cuts next!!!

and on the subject of rubbish dumping ... in the stream here, there are numerous decaying old plastic pipes ... the guys just leave them there ... includng that big 70m long plastic thing they inserted in section above the dam to try to divert water into irrigation channel ... that will create a wonderful blockage/floods when a real storm comes! I despair of human beings!