long term rental

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
SMITHY
Tourist

long term rental

Postby SMITHY » Sat May 27, 2006 11:55 am

Hi, we have recently bought a business in Fuengirola, but due to committments in the UK are unable to come out and view any long term rentals.
Would anyone be able to point us in the right direction. We move out in August, have 2 children and a dog, so would need a private garden, at least 3 bedrooms and the kids would prefer a pool!!!! Any advise greatly received
Thanks x

J Cooke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Long term rental

Postby J Cooke » Mon May 29, 2006 8:22 pm

Hello

What is your budget for the rental and for how long.

Regards

J

SMITHY
Tourist

Postby SMITHY » Mon May 29, 2006 9:14 pm

HI, THANKS FOR REPLY, LOOKING TO RENT OF 900 TO 1200 EUROS.
A COUPLE OF YEARS SO WE CAN GET SETTLED AND WORK THE BAR AND TO SEE WHAT IT EARNS.
THANKS SMITHY

alison
Tourist

Postby alison » Tue May 30, 2006 1:33 am

Hi, you may find it difficult to find a long term rental in August. Most people make their money on holiday lets that time of year and rents are high. Probably from late September there will be more long term lets around.

malagaman2005
Resident

Rentals

Postby malagaman2005 » Tue May 30, 2006 2:36 pm

There's a real glut of long term rentals at the moment and a lot of renters are trying to get too high a rent and are coming unstuck so I would suggest negotiations are a good possibility. We started renting in July of last year and some of the agents have l got rentals from then still on their books!!
Best of luck

SMITHY
Tourist

Postby SMITHY » Tue May 30, 2006 9:32 pm

HI, MANY THANKS FOR THE REPLIES, STILL LOOKING THOUGH, SO PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING
THANKS AGAIN X :P

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:09 pm

I would say that your chances of finding somewhere whilst still in the UK are nil. I am looking for a long term rental in Axarquia and had thought that I would be able to find something on the web - wrong! Every one of my enquiries about advertised houses produced one of the following responses:

1. No reply (the favourite).
2. Property has already been let.
3. Property is not available for long term rent (despite being advertised as such).
4. Price is actually per week, not per month.
5. Although advertised as being in Town A, it is actually in the middle of nowhere, 20 kms from Town A.

I can understand 1. to a certain extent, as I wrote in English, but many of the web sites were in English and those were no better at replying than the solely Spanish ones. I have just returned (yesterday) from my second house hunting trip during which I enlisted the assistance of my Spanish speaking sister, and although I fared slightly better, I still came back empty handed. For what it's worth, here follows my list of Top Tips:

1. If your Spanish isn't up to the job, get help from someone who is reasonably adept.
2. Go over to the CDS and go into every agent in the area you are interested in and give them your details and requirements.
3. Get yourself a Spanish cell phone so they can contact you.
4. If they promise to call you back ("I need to check with the owner first"), chase them up. If you don't, they won't!
5. Don't expect to find anything starting before September. Every owner is hoping for short term lets for July and August.

Having depressed you with all that, I should add that there appear to be far more properties available on the west coast than on the east where I need to be. Every second house advertised on the web seemed to be in either Fuengirola, Benalmádena, or Mijas - which I found very frustrating, but which will suit you! Also, we need a 4 bedroom house and all the agents told us that 3 would be much easier to find. Good luck with your search. If you are interested in my list of bookmarks for agents with rental properties and other searchable sites (Segundamano, CompraVenta, Málagapisos, etc.), drop me a PM.

McT

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:26 am

hi
I have spoken to you before about kids and school and if i can help let me know.
It is true that august is a bad month to try to start a rent i would say try to find somewhere for a few weeks cheap even if it doesnt suit to let you look around. It is alot easier when you are out here again anything i can do to help let me know

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:04 pm

It is a sad fact that many of our own compatriots have got long term rental an extremely bad name in the past three or four years.

I have an apartment on the coast and a small inland house both of which I let out for the occasional holiday rental but there is no way in a million years that I would let either of them on a long term rental at any price to anyone of any nationality no matter how desperate I was for the money.

I hope you find (or have found) what you are looking for, Smithy.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:50 pm

I thought rental in Spain was pretty standard, 12 month contract and one months deposit (or two months sometimes for fully furnished) deductable to cover any breakages, cleaning etc.
You must have had Tenants from Hell, Beachster, perhaps we will see you on that Channel 5 series soon! :wink:

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:04 pm

You must have had Tenants from Hell,
unfortunately Beachcomber is not alone in this opinion, I have three in a row all of which did a runner before the 11 months contract expired and one who trashed the place and one didnt pay a bill in 4 months before doing a runner.
All of these where "vetted" by an agent before signing the contract.

Its an effect of the type of people attracted to "Living the Dream" and |get rich quick" none of whom have thought out how they will live once summer season is over.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:08 pm

kevin77 wrote:You must have had Tenants from Hell
No, when I say never I mean never have as well as never will! I have seen enough disasters suffered by people who rent out long term not to go down that road myself.

A contract, no matter how well it is drafted, means absolutely nothing when you get tenants who will not leave or pay the rent.

As for the type of TV programme you refer to I have nothing but contempt for the kind of people who agree to appear on them so I am unlikely to become one of them.

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:15 am

I have rented in Elviria for two terms of four weeks per year for the last three years and am pretty familiar with many of the locals, I've heard some horror stories more than once.
In 2004 the apartment next to the one we were renting was totally stripped by the outgoing tenant :x

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:25 am

Looks like we're in for a lot of hastle renting our house on long term contracts. What advice can anyone give on the typical 1/2 week holiday lets? we've taken a lot of legal advice in the axarquia region but now perhaps we can learn reality![/quote]

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:12 am

We must be lucky then, renting our property for 300€ per month, plus electric (no water or council tax bills as yet to owner or to us!). No contract was formed, no deposit paid, and the other day had to tell the owner that we had bought a property and we were not buying theirs. No problem. English owners (of 3 properties here) and said we had been looking after the property very well and were glad it was 'lived' in. We have rented their property for the last 12 months. Obviously depends on the tenants you rent to as we have had problems with tenants renting our UK properties (no rent paid, house left in a mess, no bills paid etc. etc.), but we are not the type of people that would do that anyway, wherever we rented. The rent has been paid on time by us every month regardless of whether our UK tenants paid on time (luckily we had enough dosh to cover it!!). Fortunately we can continue renting until we are ready to move into our new house, which needs some work doing and they were both absolutely delighted with our purchase and wished us the best of luck. No bad feelings at all. I think it depends on the area you are living in in Spain and the genuinity of both sides.

Kris27
Tourist

Postby Kris27 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:16 pm

Smithy - try eye on spain they have a long term rentals section that are posted directly by the owners in the UK - hope it helps

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:02 am

Hi

we're renting long term and originally came out to visit 6 potental properties with an 'agent' who after waiting in his office for an hour and a half told us he now only had 2 to show us. First one totally unsuitable and he obviously hoped that we'd grab the second which was better but a very poor rennovation, . Anyway I had been searching the net for months and contacting owners who were advertiding their properities for holiday lets after lots of emails we struck gold with the english owner , we have a 6 mth renewable cntract and pay the rent which includes the bills. Whilst we were out meeting with the 'agent' and I use that term loosely I had organised myself to see the house we are now renting.

I would advise that you don't even think about renting a place unless you've seen it ...get a cheap flight even if you only stay one nigh as 6mths in an unsuitable house is a long...long ...time

Good luck with your search
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room