round house v square house buildng costs

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

round house v square house buildng costs

Postby Lavanda » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:09 pm

I know that some of you are builders or have had building work done so advice would be welcome, please.

I have been told by my architect that it is much more expensive to have a round central core of a house built - with two rectangular, angled 'wings' coming off it - than to have a square or diamond central core.

I'm no expert but why should it be more expensve? Foundations are still being dug, bricks are still being laid on bricks, slender windows can go in instead of big ones, the roof still gets put on the top. Why more expensive?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:47 am

I have been told by my architect that it is much more expensive to have a round central core of a house built - with two rectangular, angled 'wings' coming off it - than to have a square or diamond central core.
Ask him to explain..why should you doubt his advise..he has nothing to loose or gain.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Cornflake
Andalucia.com Amigo

round-up

Postby Cornflake » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:43 pm

Its simply - rather obviously - that circular things take longer to set out, build, finish, fix to, etc etc. They're more difficult to get right, to satisfy the customer, and the customner is likely to be more picky too. And they're out of the ordinary, so anyone worth their salt will express a degree of natural caution (never trust anyone that says "no problem, guv").
Most architects will (should) want as smooth a job as possible without problems that lead to expensive and time-consuming shenanigans. Some architects love twiddly details that increase 'delight' but also cost money. Which do you want?

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:06 pm

:( The work is quite simple...it's just a tad more difficult...ipso facto...more expensive for the customer. If you were doing it yourself, material cost increase is negligible. Qualified tradesmen will have no problem provided the Architect is on the ball (not many are in my experience, but then I was bitten by one once). :lol:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:06 pm

I did ask the architect about it, obviously, but SHE was vague. Only that it would cost 'much more' - how much more was not clear. What you write makes sense, I suppose. I'd just like an idea of HOWmuch more it would cost as the extra expense MIGHT be worth it.

Good advice about the builders, though. 'No problema' usually ends up as 'muchas problemas'.

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:54 pm

maybe the architect hasnty got any standard round plans she can adapt, so she'd charge more and without any plans be harder for her to cost up too!!