DOUBLE BEDS AGAIN

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Elsa-mary
Andalucia.com Amigo

DOUBLE BEDS AGAIN

Postby Elsa-mary » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:26 pm

I have now moved from Berja in Almeria,to a village between Alcaudete ,and Martos in Jaen province,and had furniture out of storage,and discovered that many things had been damaged and stolen( it had been in storage in total for3 years here and in Canada)
One of the things that must be replaced is double bed !!!!,yes I know you have heard it before,and I have looked on the forums seeking answers!!,but----- you all seem to live nearer Granada or Malaga,too far to deliver for us.
So please ,where near me,can we purchase a double,or even Kingsize bed,without costing the earth. Thanks

petert74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby petert74 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:29 am

I dont want to hijack your message, but I also need a double bed as well.

I cant believe the prices of something decent. I cant seem to find anything that has storage below that does not involve lifting up the matress.

I live in the Campo nearish Gib!!!

Can anyone help???

dawncl
Tourist

Postby dawncl » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:35 pm

Hi I am very new to this but to answer the question on double beds, we have a holiday home in Alcaudete and we got all of our beds From IKEA in Seville, it was a trek and had to hire a man with a van but they are very comfortable and larger than a normal kingsize.
The only other places I could think of is Alcala la Real or Jaen. Both are quite big towns so should have a good selection.

Elsa-mary
Andalucia.com Amigo

DOUBLE OR KING SIZE BEDS

Postby Elsa-mary » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:05 pm

Thanks,for replies,as yet have not tried Alcala la Real furniture shops,it is only 20mins away,certainly do not want to hike to Seville for beds!!.
Maybe someone else out there from this area (Alcaudete or Alcala) has managed to purchase locally,may yet reply .
We have looked in Carrefour in Jaen,but all were short and quite expensive,again Jaen only 30 mins travelling from here.
Have found exellent small garden centre though, in Alcala la Real,good plants and shrubs etc ,all reasonably priced,very pleasant owners,lots of advice and got discount as well!
Have a good day!

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:40 pm

Have you thought about buying exactly what you want from the UK, via a website, and having it delivered to a friend or family in the UK? Then posting for somebody with a van that has room for a small load that's going to/coming back from that area. There's always somebody around Andalucia.com that's got space in a van and can bring it to Spain for you.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Cornflake
Andalucia.com Amigo

bed time

Postby Cornflake » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:53 pm

Frankly, IKEA in Seville is the best source (Malaga sometime . . next year?). They do have a choice of beds, frames, mattresses, covers, etc etc that is unmatchable anywhere else.
When we had to renew our oddly shaped mattresses on our boat IKEA was dramatically cheaper than the hundreds and hundreds of euros quoted by anybody else.
Most Spanish or "English" stuff is very expensive compared to them, and really not much better in terms of quality.
We also bought beds from Ideal Imports (top end of San Pedro near the motorway junction and also recently opened up off the Fuengirola-Coin road) and they have been fine and excellent value for what they were, but the choice is/was restricted.

You do have to be prepared to suffer crowds and long queues (sometimes very long), however.

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:28 am

We've managed to get exactly what we want (bed 150x200) from shops in Alcala or from a store/warehouse called Mesa Muebles on the Priego de Cordoba to Alcala road. Everything you want for very reasonable prices. I've even had a framed picture thrown in as "regalo" with every order!

duvets are a different story! Get them in the UK - and the covers - and bring them with you. They are "new" in this area and so are expensive, not much choice, no indication of tog rating and the covers cost more than the quilts!

Happy hunting

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Local shops

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:42 pm

Are lots of you afraid to use the local shops in your nearest village or town? There is always a shop selling furniture, beds, lights etc, although sometimes it is a question of them getting them into stock for you. Be aware that the 'standard' spanish bed tends to be shorter than UK - smaller people, smaller bedrooms..., so make sure you order a full 2 metre version.
In Colmenar for example, half-an-hour plus from any coast, Antonio Palomo got hold of a matteress (at a very reasonable price) for us within 2 days, and delivered it for free the 12kms or so to our village.
Could it be that some folk are not prepared to speak Spanish...?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.