Ayuntamiento Registration

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:16 pm

I was under the impression that only permanent residents could register with the local Ayuntamiento but having spoken to a non-resident recently he suggested that non-residents could also register to enable the Ayuntamiento to gain from the head count.

That being the case, how do I ascertain (on-line ideally) whether we are registered or not which could have been done by our solicitor?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:27 pm

Do you mean registered on the padrón?

Non-residents can certainly register. Whether you can check online depends on whether your local Town Hall offers this facility. It is unlikely that your lawyer would have done it for you as a matter of course.

You can just go along to your Town Hall to check. In case you are not take your escritura, passport and NIE sheet and they will do it there and then. Take some copies as well just in case.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:27 pm

Cordoba province offers an online service http://www.dipucordoba.es/padron/
certainly to get an up to date certificate but I think you still have to make a personal visit to one of the issuing organisations to obtain one of the electronic certificates with signature you require to start the whole process!

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:15 pm

Possibly the Padron. As I understand it, the Ayuntamiento benefits from the registration by an increase in funds allocated to it based on it's population? What I didn't realise, is that I can register as a non-resident but given the solicitor did manage to get the IBI/Basura/water direct debits sorted out I hoped he'd have done this also.

I can't find Colmenar on-line so probably something that will have to wait until Christmas unless I can wangle a week day off before then.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:55 pm

Faire

It's exactly as Beachcomber says.

We registered for the Padron about a year and a half ago, feeling guilty that we should have done it a year earlier.

Took the docs that Beach mentions, and a dictionary. The town hall receptionist did all of the biz. one or two strange questions, the strangest being what type of school did my wife and I go to....

Took about 20 mins, probably less if your Spanish is better than mine, and in a week, went back to collect officially stamped (several times) paperwork to show that we are now registered, and hopefully the village gets a few more Euros because of it!

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:05 am

OK. Thanks for the advice, which I'll follow. Does anyone know if I can make the application on behalf of my wife or would we both have to be present?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:08 am

As long as you present her passport and NIE sheet I don't see why not but it would probably depend on whether the clerk handling the matter is having a good day or not.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:29 am

Faire d'Income
Ayuntamiento de Colmenar
Dirección: Plaza España, 7 - 29170 Málaga
Teléfono: 952730000-01 - Fax: 952731068

a web with info on Colmenar

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/iea/sima/htm/sm29043.htm
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:05 pm

Beachy - thanks. I'll give it a whirl and see if I can side step the system.

Silver - thanks. Unfortunately, I know where the Ayunatamiento is and having trawled that site many times I wish that type of information was available in the UK. Possibly a bit sad, but nonetheless some interesting stuff on there!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:14 pm

We went to do the business at our Ayunatamiento this morning. A rather sour looking guy appeared very disappointed when we had all the required documents and copies. He wanted a copy of the escritura which I was not expecting but had one in the file. He was only mildly helpful with a couple of questions we had about one of the forms and sent us off to a nearby table to complete them. Not too difficult.

When we returned he seemed disgruntled that we had entered our passport numbers whilst we had both got our NIEs. He demanded the 'tarjetas' to go with the NIEs and seemed confused and doubtful when we told him you don't get one with an NIE! Anyway, after a few minutes checking copies against originals he actually gave us a bit of a smile and said we would be registered from today and we needn't call again.

Now, I was expecting to be given certificates of registration, not necessarily straight away of course. Should we not have to go and collect the certificates or are they usually sent by post....or maybe we misunderstood something he mumbled?
Brian.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:23 pm

Yes, normally you are issued with a certificate which you have to go and collect a few days/weeks later. Sometimes you need to get it "updated" ie with a more recent date on it if somebody is being awkward and sees that your empadronamiento certificate is more than a few months old! :roll:
A garage recently wanted a more up to date one when a friend bought a vehicle, but we got away with it.
Our ayuntamiento has just sent out a summary to all addresses showing who they have registered on the padron at that house and also shows your "nivel académico" (that's why they asked, Zanuck), although we were never asked to provide that info when we registered and so I'm showed as "sin estudios"! The only "lesser" category is "no sabe leer/escribir" so I s'pose that's something!

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:49 pm

Sounds like you've been promoted hillbilly.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:03 pm

My husband and I registered at our Ayuntamiento 2 years ago. How often should we go back and re-register? I assume it is similar to the Electoral Roll in UK and must be updated. so possibly our papers are now worthless? Anybody able to advise on this please?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:27 pm

You are registered until you deregister but, as has been said before, what you may need to do is renew your actual certificate.

Tom W
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Tom W » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Is this the thing that gets you a discount on your rates in Benalmadena? If so does anyone know if can it be done online?

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:40 pm

Given that one has registered is there any good reason to even have a certificate until one is needed for buying a car? What other occasions might one be asked to produce it?
Brian.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:47 pm

Yes it does get you a discount on your IBI in Benalmádena.

You have to register in person in the first instance but some Town Halls allow you to renew your certificate online.

As well as buying a car, I think you also sometimes need it to get your kids into school or to register at the medical centre, library, sports centre etc.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:51 pm

Beachcomber wrote:As well as buying a car, I think you also sometimes need it to get your kids into school or to register at the medical centre, library, sports centre etc.
Thank you for the info.
Brian.

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:55 pm

There is no need to get a certificate unless you need one (e.g car purchase) They are only valid 3 months, so one can sometimes get away with one a bit older. Some ayuntamientos charge, some dont for the certificate. It can take up to a week to get (depends if the person who has to sign it is about or not( so if you do need one, dont go in at last minute to request it.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:06 pm

Well, that was quick! After registering yesterday lunchtime the lad from the Ayuntamiento called this evening with our electoral registration papers.

Now, I do understand that we can't register here in Spain for the EU Parliament elections if we continue to be registered for same in the UK; however, as 'ratepayers' here, is it in order to register for the municipal elections here whilst still continuing to vote in local elections in UK?
Brian.