New or Used

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
dawncl
Tourist

New or Used

Postby dawncl » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:12 am

:?:
When we finally sell our pile in the UK and move to Alcaudete I was hoping to buy a Land-rover Defender or a Santana.

People have said never, never buy a second hand vehicle.

So If I'm buying new where is the best place to go and not get fleeced?

Ive noticed they never put the price on cars in the showrooms so will need to take a Spanish friend with me or I will be paying the English price?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:33 am

mmmmmmmm spanish / english prices.. always a problem...

never buy second hand ? why ?

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:04 pm

I can't understand why you've been advised not to buy a second hand vehicle as provided you know what you're doing, then there shouldn't be any issues. There are pros and cons for both methods but the only comment I'd make would be to go for the Defender if you can afford it as not only are they better built (one of the few reliable Land Rover products) than the Santana but also have stronger engines.

Your only other choice is RHD/LHD which will come down to preference, although I'm not sure if they are classed as commercial vehicles or not, which may have some bearing on the issue - others will know.

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:30 pm

Is there anyone who does proffessional car checks in spain like the AA in the UK when assessing if any issues with the car.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:47 pm

I would highly recommend getting a defender from the uk as they are cheaper there, 2nd hand defenders here are very expensive. Then simply swap the steering wheel over or have a mechanic do it, its very easy costs about 1k for a mechanic to do it.

There are no aa type checks here no.

toddcl
Resident

Defender from uk

Postby toddcl » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:00 pm

I thought that if you brought a defender out from the UK it was virtually imposable to get it registered in Spain?

Anyone managed to get a UK car re registered in Spain?
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:55 pm

Ive had it done twice with no trouble, as long as the car has papers from england you will be ok. It costs about another 1k to pay someone else to do it and you can do it yourself for about 600 i think, someone posted step by step instructions of how to do it on the forum recently have a search