Residentia ? an Ignorant question !

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Martin Page
Resident

Residentia ? an Ignorant question !

Postby Martin Page » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:27 am

Can I ask a question from Ignorance

Why do I need residentia ? What is the advantage (to me)

I am a resident of EUROPE (isn’t that what the EEC is all about)

As I say – this is question is from ignorance rather than blindly following custom and practice – or is that outdated LAW ?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:49 am

It is more correctly called a 'Tarjeta Comunitaria'

Spaniards need an ID card and foreigners living in Spain, except under certain circumstances, need a community card.

You would find it much easier to produce such a card when asked for identification and you are much more likely to be let off a minor traffic infringement if you produce a community card and a Spanish driving licence than if you produce a UK passport and driving licence.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:23 pm

So no real reson there then ....?

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:30 pm

Much easier than carrying your passport.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:48 pm

So far My driving licenece has always been sufficient for that !

Keep em comming ..... nothing usefull so far ?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:37 pm

Martin Page wrote:So no real reson there then ....?
As I said, if you are working legally or self-employed, no, but if you are retired or living here on independent means you must have one.

dawncl
Tourist

Postby dawncl » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:47 pm

Surely if you are working legally or self-employed then you would want to be registered as resident.

I thought if you were working legal you needed it for your TAX purposes as non residents pay all sorts of little taxes that you do not have if resident. EG the tax is higher if you sell a house as a non resident.
If you are not resident then you pay a standard tax [not much] on the grounds that you may profit from letting out the property etc.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:50 pm

Can I ask a question from Ignorance
Beachcomber and Alan gave you a couple of good reasons
Keep em comming ..... nothing usefull so far
I am sure that your arrogance will get you by just fine over here, but if not, you can always plead ignorance !!
Hardworking resident !!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:31 pm

dawncl wrote:Surely if you are working legally or self-employed then you would want to be registered as resident.
If you're legally employed or self-employed in Spain then you are, by definition, already a tax resident and paying taxes here thus proving your residency "for tax purposes".
You are confusing tax residency with "residency" by virtue of having your tarjeta comunitaria oft called residencia.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Re: Residentia ? an Ignorant question !

Postby hillybilly » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:39 pm

Martin Page wrote: Why do I need residentia? What is the advantage (to me)
Your card gets you into places at a reduced rate eg the Giralda in Sevilla if you can prove your residency in Sevilla! Thus saving precious euros for other things, like beer - that's an advantage if ever there was one.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:14 pm

This recently updated information from the British Embassy should clarify the situation regarding community cards:

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servle ... 0455474963

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gronc » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:55 pm

If living in Spain why not do everything as the spanish people do. Get a Residency card, get a Spanish driving licence, i do not understand what the problem is with intergrating into the spanish way of life. We are living in Spain!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:34 am

Couldn't agree more!
Brian.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:04 am

Have you come to Spain to live with the Spanish or are you one of those English on the Costa's that moan that you cant get all the things you had in England. Don't like the Spanish rules and laws etc.

When in Rome!!!!!!!!!
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:57 am

Toddcl/gronc - No I am not a winging Brit – Quite the reverse. I’m a Brit that accepts the social way of life in Spain and over the years have become reasonably fluent in the Spanish language and Spanish life …and lets face it – who actually LIKES rules.
That doesn’t stop us from questioning Them – That’s all I’m doing …

Beachcomer – Yes your quite right – That is the formal state position – As I have said above – all I am doing is questioning them – WHY – do we need them

Hillbily – Hmmmm -reduced rate eg the Giralda in Sevilla –

Beachcomer – So you admit that there are times when you DO and there are times that you DON’T need a residentia Is that a bit of a double sided legal ‘Blade’

DawnCL – Yes ! TAX ….Capital gains or EC tax Is a big incentive. But isn’t there a caveat that you must also be over the age of 65 as well for the exemption?
These other TAX advantages? – Can you give any examples?

Lastly – I hear all your comments, and thank you, so far – But are we not missing the more Fundamental point of being citizens of the European Union. Spain WILL and MUST change its ‘Local’ laws and rules in line with that of Europe – just as all other nations are having to. The UK being No Exception.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:18 am

You are missing the point Martin as far as I am concerned. It may or may not be legal for Spain to require an identity card. However it makes life a damn sight easier if you have one. That is a good enough reason for me.

I collect mine next month, and so far have managed without it, but I am absolutely sure it will be useful.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:06 am

Alan - Your possible best placed to answer the question ....

Please keep us advised of both that advantages and disadvantages

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

card

Postby pilgrim » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:09 pm

We are a family living here and find the cards very very very useful, when asked for any form of id , there are many times when I ask myself why did they want to se my card, I am only making an enquiry? and countless other occasions, you only have to produce your card, and hey presto - no problemo

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Residentia? an ignorant question

Postby gavilan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:13 pm

have lived here 6 years and never been asked to show this card ... am asked for my pasport sometimes at supermarkets when I pay the bill ... but no-one has ever asked to see any other documents.

andd another question from ignorance ... what is the NIE?!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:27 pm

I am assuming that you really don't know and are not just pulling our legs.

The NIE is Numero Identificación Extranjero (Foreigner's Identity Number) which is needed for purchasing property, cars, paying taxes etc.

If you have a residents card this number is incorporated in it.