Lots of questions re rats! Please help.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:55 am

I've only ever seen one rat! that was using the roof highway, across the roofs and along the gutters. While I'd love to shoot the blighters I'm afraid that like fishing I'd get bored waiting for the rat's to make an appearance.

I'll stick to putting the wrapped poison in dark corners in the out buildings.

Anyone got a remedy for stopping a great big Ferrel cat [we call Silvester] creeping in through open windows and Cr**ing.

He patrols the rooftops woow-wing and as soon as he spots an open window he does the old 'The cat crept in Cr**ed and crept out again' routine.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:38 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

I've gone for a contract with Rentokil. It's not cheap but hopefully I will be able to pay up and forget about the situation. I'm not 100% sure about what I'm getting, but I did get a chance to practice my Spanish :)

I believe they are going to put about 20 bait stations around the perimeter of the property and a couple in the house. They will monitor these every 2 months. They have assured me that the dog and kitten won't be harmed and that the stations will be discretely placed.

The 3 rats that were caught were humanely disposed of. Taken away and set free, but my rat catching friend has now left and I'm afraid it will have to be poison as I'm scared of the vicious ones!
We are not exactly overrun with them so I don't think trying to shoot them would be a viable option! I'm sure my visitors would rather be handed a glass of wine than a gun!

Moving Soon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Moving Soon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:50 pm

I wish I knew of a solutin to the feral cat problem - we have got a room on our roof terrace which was formerly used as a pigeon loft and we have been trying to 'cat proof' it but have so far failed miserably.

When we arrived for our last visit in September my partner made the horrible discovery of a cat that had got into the room and could not get out again, had obviously been dead for some time and I hate to think what it must have gone through. Cleaning up after it wasn't very pleasant either.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:05 pm

Again with cats same goes for anything unwelcome make them know they are unwelcome - shoot at them just keep a hand air gun by your side and they wont return I guarantee it. If you dont want to hurt them get a bibi gun that shoots plastic bullets and if you are a lady then wet them with a water gun, spray or bottle of water. Any of them is a lot of fun.

Moving Soon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Moving Soon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:11 pm

And if I were inclined to take your advice (which I'm not), why would I not be allowed a 'proper' gun and have to settle for a water pistol?

The main reason I wouldn't want a gun is that I wouldn't trust myself not to shoot at prats who annoy me - not a nicety that seems to trouble US citizens overmuch, I know.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:23 pm

By all means have a real gun! But as you say that can kill people which I dont always trust myself either thats why an air gun is best as it wont kill anyone

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:26 pm

Now you're talking Moving. If somebody were to invent a Prat trap I'd certainly ask Father Chrismas for one.

Reckon I'd wear it out after a months stay there :D Imagine going out in the morning and finding the village ex.pat, know all, sandal with long sock wearing font of all knowlege type of person dangling by his plums :lol: .................what an idea.

Moving Soon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Moving Soon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:29 pm

Yes, yes, yes - a Prat Trap, that's what we need.

Surely there must be some enterprising soul who can go on Dragon's Den and get the venture capital to put one into production. They'd make a fortune.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:41 pm

Every place in Andalucia has a know-all. We were very young when we bought our first holiday home here, a townhouse, 6 houses around a pool. We had a Brit guy across from us who was always trying to tell us what to do. When we furnished the house he said everyone only has white stuff here. He said he spoke spanish but it was just words which he couldn't connect together. Said we had the wrong house insurance til he found out he was paying for the same cover twice and on and on. Last I heard of him he had his membership of the golf club terminated for cheating :)

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:54 pm

There is a farm near here that breed rats for their manure. They collect all the muck and send it to a factory in Malaga who manufacture >
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
Rats**t Screwdrivers ........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The old ones are the best
Hardworking resident !!