Length of ITV on cars

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Campo Kenny

Length of ITV on cars

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:05 am

Last year we took a UK car over to Andalucia. I paid for it to be put on Spanish plates and paid taxes etc. etc.
I then trundled it to the local ITV centre where it passed and was issued with a 2 year ticket.

A friend I was speaking to by phone last night over there said he's just had his car ITV'd and was issued with only a 1 year ticket. I told him about my 2 year pass and he'd never heard of a 2 year pass, in fact he said another bloke he knows was issued only a 6 month ticket recently :?

Does anyone know the reasons for these discrepencies, I think it may have something to do with age of car but can find no info. on which to base that assumption.............strange one!

eveyon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby eveyon » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:19 am

We had our car mot'd last month and got a 2 year pass. between four years and ten years it is only every two years you need to have it done.after that every year. I believe vans have to be done every 6 months but not sure why. dont know why a one year pass

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:25 am

Thanks for the quick response and explanation. It makes sense now.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:27 pm

Yes, vans, once they're 10 years old have to have ITVs every 6 months.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:55 pm

So does a 4x4 if it registered as a 'furgoneta mixta'.

Mydogdylan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mydogdylan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Can anyone tell me if a car failed its ITV and you get the necessary work done to pass the ITV say within 2 weeks do you have to pay for a re-test.

Is it the same as in the UK ?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:06 pm

There are four possible results of the test.

1.- Pass

2.- Pass but something minor needs to be done.

3.- Fail but if you get it put right and take it back within two months - no charge. This does not mean that you can carry on using the vehicle for two months. You can only use it on a road to take it for repair then to take it back to the testing centre.

4.- Total failure and you have to have it taken away on a tow truck. In this case you have to pay for a new test.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:48 am

Is there a test for those rotavators with trailers on that all the old olive growers plod around on?
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

Nikvin
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nikvin » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:50 pm

we got 14 months on our ITV last year!!

car was coming up for its 10th birthday, so centre gave it until its 11th birthday for next test!

Now very confusing as ITV and insurance dates different, and as stupid ins.co didnt send a renewal notice, we ended up 1 week with no insurance, but luckily hadnt used or needed the car!!

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:13 pm

Hi

taking my car for it's ITV and going through the registrations process...yes I know I'd been better selling it in UK ....wish I had but hey ho....the garage amn said something about having my licence stamped or needing a temporary spanish licence, can anyone throw any light on this for me

many thanks
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:29 pm

There are several threads on this subject. This one may be of some help.

http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8467

Basically, whatever anyone tells you including staff at Tráfico in Málaga, you either need to have your UK licence validated or exchange it for a Spanish one.