Possible Scam!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
mark
Andalucia.com Amigo

Possible Scam!

Postby mark » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:21 am

Over the past few months I have been contacted by a couple of people who wish to buy items that I have posted on various sites, the last being in the classifieds section on A.com.

What these people do is offer to buy the goods but say they will send a cheque for more than what the items are for (the first was 6,000e more, the second only £2,000 more) and then you are to send the remainder back, is this some sort of money laundering? Has anyone else been contacted by such people?

Regards

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:32 am

I have had no personal experience but I have read of such situations where the cheque turns out to be false. It is usually drawn on a real bank with a real bank account number but a false name.

This link to West Sussex police gives details of how it works:

http://www.sussex.police.uk/community_s ... .asp?id=12

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:01 am

Would you do this if buying something? NO!

Should you accept this if selling something? NO!

IS it a scam? Errrrrrr, yes........

Trooperman
Resident

scams

Postby Trooperman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:02 am

...and a warning to those who let property where the same scam is tried, usually by the scammer stating he/she needs to pay for other accommodation and could you pass on the balance to another (false) property letter - saving on currency costs/ bank charges etc etc being used as the excuse.
The scam works because, whilst the credit shows on your bank account within days, the small print of the bank´s terms and conditions allows them a considerable time before actually confirming the credit and thus time to repudiate a bad cheque or false credit.
nil illegitimum carborundum

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:08 am

usual rule applies: If it looks too good to be true, it is too good to be true!
These scams rely on the gullibility, stupidity and plain old-fashioned greed of the victim - it is difficult to find any sympathy for them.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:38 am

A similar thing happened to me when I advertised our car for sale on the internet.

After a couple of emails asking for more information about the car and asking for my best price, I received this:

"Thanks for your reply, considering my client's interest in the car,he accepts your price.I have also made arrangment with the buyer (my client) for payment, and he said that payment will get to you in a cashier's check, of 27,000 euros because the amount signed for the order from his company is for buying and shipping so when you get the check you are required to deduct 20,000 euros which is the cost of your car, and send the balance of 7,000 euros to his agent who is in charge for the pick up/shipping, so that the agent will be able to offset the charges before coming for pickup and ship the car to him.

He said that the agent is currently out of town for inspection/pick up asignment,so if the sales arrangment can be conluded before the agent arrival,he will immediately arrange for the pickup/delivery of the car.

Note that you'll deduct the transfer charges from the balance which you are going to send to the agent when you receive his check payment.

He will require (1)your full name,(2)your home/office address(3)your phone number, for the check to get to you via courier delivery.

You will be notified if there is any further information/arrangment.

MICHAEL HENZ AUTOMOBILES INC.
13 Fleet Street London EC4Y 1NY"

On checking the postcode, etc. I found the firm did not exist. The shipping charges quoted were much too high, and on further research on the internet it seems this is called a Nigerian Scam. I reported the email to [email protected], as they had used a yahoo address, and they then look into it and cancel the email address.

mark
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mark » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:19 pm

Campo babe did a search and found in her case it to be a Nigerian scam........guess what I did the same, tapped in Akin Peters AKA Akin Jones and this too showed as a Nigerian Scam. I never bothered to tap in a search for Harry Hill as I thought this to be too obvious, yet another comedian. LOL.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:45 pm

Yes it is a scam, has been going on for ages and has raised its ugly head again and again.

If you have something for sale for 1000 euors but put the cheque into your bank account for say 7000 euros - very good it makes your account look good and they want the balance paid to them - 6000 euros. what happens later is that the bank find out that the cheque was fraudulent and take away 7000 euros from your account - you are left with minus 6000 euros.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:58 pm

I have recently advertised an item for saje in A Classified and was also contacted by Akin Peters and I ignored it hubby had heard about these scams before and it just didn't look right made us suspicious. Makes you wary of advertising items for sale.

Sadie

mark
Andalucia.com Amigo

Harry Brown

Postby mark » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:23 am

It must be scam week in Scamsville this week. No less than half a dozen have contacted me and it's only Tuesday! The lates are business proposals :roll: Today Mr Harry Brown has contacted me. Tap this in on Google and you get a whole host of stuff.......Losers :wink:

mark
Andalucia.com Amigo

Yawn

Postby mark » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:59 pm

The latest one today.........Mr David/Dave Rowles. Listen to this........I asked him for a contact telephone number, he told me he didn't have one as he was deaf :lol: But his assistant would send me a cheque :lol: :lol: And his shipping agent would pick up the goods :lol: :lol: :lol:

He must must be bored in Nigeria

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:06 pm

Is it not possible for someone clever to screw the screwers? Somehow delay the handover of the goods, wait until the cheque clears then keep the lot?

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:19 pm

slow down oldracer,
read it again...
it's a scam -
the check never clears...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:28 pm

Alright nevada, I knew it would not be that simple, but surely there must be some way of creating so much nuisance that they go away and try to think of a different scam!
My aunt died a couple of years ago, in poverty with her gas and phone cut off, because she had sent thousands of pounds of to these lowlifes who mail out the "you have won £xxxx, just send £xx for handling charges" frauds. These at least looked to be legal, as when you read the fine print they only said the recipient had won something - like jewellery - but I am sure that someone could track down these Americans, Canadians or whoever, and placard their houses, country clubs, children's schools and so on with posters detailing how they defraud old people to fund their lifestyle. As a firm believer in bringing back the stocks for the little torags who rob and take drugs in the UK, I believe a bit of name 'm and shame 'em would work.
The same principle may not work for some mud-hutted black criminal however!

pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Scam

Postby pirate » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:53 pm

Although I cant believe anybody would fall for this scam, I do actually know some one who actually sent 3 payments off Via western Union totaling over £1200, he was in the process of sending another £7000 when the check he received was temporarily cleared in the building society and he transferred it into his bank, luckily the bank tiller alerted the manager who checked out the Irish bank account which did not exist.

this is the best way to deal with them..................and fun

http://www.scambuster419.co.uk/

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:10 pm

I can believe some people would fall for this. I've met a few of them, including one who was categorically told that the house he intended to buy was an illegal build.....and he still bought it!

They are out there believe me :D

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

light reading !

Postby meseta » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:18 am

Read what the 'Met' had to say .....

http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/419.htm

and if you have lots of time........

http://www.scamorama.com/

Have fun !

mark
Andalucia.com Amigo

Yawn

Postby mark » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:12 pm

Here's todays!!! I wonder if they finish at the weekend......Thought I'd change my name for a laugh!!!! Oops this is confidential by the way, so don't tell ANYONE!!!

Dear Walter Smitty,

I believe this reaches you in wonderful spirit. My name is Mr. John Pam I am 50 years of age, the linkman between the Organization for Petroleum Exporting Countries OPEC and World Bank. I also attend OPEC meetings constantly in Geneva Switzerland on the auspices of World Bank for several years. I am retiring by the end of this this year month, after 20 years of full services with OPEC.

I had taken pains to find your contact through personal endeavors. There is information I would like you to keep very confidential and private. I need a reliable and capable person in your place as a partner & representative who will help me take custody, manage and invest certain funds which I have access and in possession of and which I will like to invest in your country. Area if an interest includes the real estate and construction sector as well as in stock.

The fund in question is $10.2 Million U.S.Dollars and they are presently in the custody of finance firm Securities Europe. I need your assistance to relocate this funds to your care and invest them. I am taking this decision personally and for special reason also so that the funds will not be traced to me. I shall also relocate to your country after retirement to continue with my life. If your are interested and can maintain the very high confidentiality that this transaction will entails, please email me back so I can provide you with further details.
It is on this basis that I am contacting you for assistance; If You will be interested to work with me so that I will issue you an authorization, and all claim documents will be processed and sent to you in due time. The documents with which the fund is deposited will be changed to reflect you as the new beneficiary so that you will be eligible to collect the fund on my behalf.

I will give you 30% of the fund for this assistance, while 65% will be for me and 5% will be for expenses that may be incurred on both sides. I am aware of the international monitoring of all large-scale financial movements after the September 11th 2001Terrorist attack on America (USA) and to avoid any state of financial Investigation I will provide a classified clearance paper from the relevant body, which will exonerate the money from drug, money laundered or terrorist related funds.

I want to assure you that this is 100% risk free. You should also provide me with your private telephone and fax numbers for easier communication in the process of this project. I will give you more details concerning this as soon as I received your response which should include your full names, address, occupation, age and your direct mobile phone number.

Have a nice day
Thanks.
Mr. John Pam

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:28 pm

ive recieved three e mails lately asking about a car i have for sale as well, always the same type but different names, even had one in spanish, god they must be bored!

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:35 pm

Don't think it's boredom Blondie. An e mail costs nothing and you only need one sucker.
Grouser