try to speak spanish... no way

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:54 am

Whilst still on the subject of language......

I believe a request for "Vino Blanco" in Jerez usually results in a glass of dry sherry. How does one ensure a glass of table wine arrives instead ?

Anyroads

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:22 am

Just be careful how you pronounce things - "Fino" is the name for a not-from-Jerez-so-cannot-call-it-sherry white drink, "Vino" (which of course is said much more like "Beano") is the stuff you are after!
Last edited by peteroldracer on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:15 pm

In Casariche where they in common with every village in Spain has a totally different dialect to anywhere else, the accepted form of greeting when you are passing in the street and don't intend to stop and talk is Adios usually pronounced 'adjo ' which can also sound very much like Hello. Seems very strange to greet someone by saying good bye but hey this is Spain!

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:22 pm

Fino is a type of sherry, from Jerez. As in Palamino Fino made by Tio Pepe

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:32 pm

6 most used words by the locals in the villages by us are..........

Bale

Benga

adjo

aluego

pero

oi oi oiiiiiiiiiii

Spelled as they sound by the way.

Oi Oi Oiiiiiiiiii is probaby the most common, as it is used if someone is nearly knocked over by a speeding donkey, or somebody pulls an expensive shelf of glassware down in a shop by accident, or more commonly if Real Madrid miss an open goal :wink:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:29 pm

Bale..(vale) is.. OK
Benga..Venga... is.. come on
adjo...adios
aluego.. hasta luego..see you later
oi..I guess is oye/listen...used like saying hey you (when they want to get your attention..like with the donkey) or listen to me.... oiga would mean the same..and is used when you don´t know the person.
all very useful words.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:44 pm

Campo Kenny wrote: used if someone is nearly knocked over by a speeding donkey
Thanks for that one Kenny - a wonderful picture of campo village life!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:08 pm

Peter, has the request in your sig. been answered yet in Comares?. Me and the Mrs. are dreading to think what our track is like now if what we've read on here is true. :cry:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:37 pm

the condition of your track will depend on the kind of soil it has...how many streams cross it and the general condition of bordering land..but with the kind of rain we have been having.. a lot of tracks will be damaged... bring your wellies...
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:04 pm

After Septembers rain when we were there most of the soil on the track was washed into the next parrish!!! leaving just rocks, exposed dinosaur bones and cavemans clubs :wink:

I'm wondering how much a Massey Ferguson tractor will be to have transfered tp Spanish plates as I think we may need it.

Wife will be pleased it's stuffed my plans to take an Elise over there :cry:

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:06 pm

oldracer,
you need to re-check your sherry information...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:26 pm

nevada smith wrote:oldracer,
you need to re-check your sherry information...
All "sherry" comes from Jerez, and can be fino, amontillado, etc; but there are also other fortified wines called "fino" that do NOT come from Jerez - as long as they do not call them "sherry" I think there is nothing to stop them? It is like "champagne", which must come from that district of France, can be "brut" or "semi-dulce" etc - there is nothing to stop other regions selling wines labelled for the type of flavour as long as they do not infer they come from Champagne.! There are sometimes some real pedants on here! :roll:
Campo Kenny "Peter, has the request in your sig. been answered yet in Comares?. " - yes my son, not 'arf!!! According to the weather station at Lake Vinuela (http://www.malagaweather.com/) there was 95mm yesterday....I had to go down to the pumphouse and do a long, long backwash to lower the level in the pool! It is still chucking it down as I type this....we need it. If, however I feel the need to start building an ark, I will have to change the tagline! :wink:

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:51 pm

How does one ensure a glass of table wine arrives instead ?
Try asking for "una copa de vino blanco" instead. You're right, just asking for "vino blanco" will automatically get you a fino here unless it's a tourist bar but it's nothing to do with pronouncing it wrong. You rarely see anyone except tourists drink white wine but fino is drunk all day long. Very little white wine is produced here so it is synonomous with fino. The Spanish from Madrid get caught out too! It's usually assumed that by a copa you mean a wine glass which is too large for a fino so do rustle up some white wine. Fino and lemonade or soda in a tumbler is our usual feria drink and it's really refreshing, like a white wine spritzer. I must try asking for a dry sherry and lemonade in UK....

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:58 pm

the white wine and sherry does not taste the same in the UK.
I love it here Fino and seven up and I love tinto Verano.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:03 am

Thank you lis48, all makes sense now.

Anyroads