so who really embraced spanish culture this christmas??

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

so who really embraced spanish culture this christmas??

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:11 am

what day did you celebrate your christmas ? on the 24th or the 25th? did you all have your dinner on the night of the 24th??? did you have the traditional "sopa de mariscos" for starters, followed by prawns etc etc ??

or did ya stay "english" and have ya turkey roast on the 25th ??

have you made your kids wait for their presents, to give them to them on the 6th of january, "tres reys" ???

robperrie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby robperrie » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:32 pm

Hi Spanish Lad,,,,,

Could you tell me what the spanish xmas food being served is please,,i want to do it as a late one comin up this weekend,,,,

rob

bassman
Andalucia.com Amigo

so who really embraced Spanish culture this Christmas?

Postby bassman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:31 pm

We sort of had a shared cultural dinner on the 25th. Cooked the full turkey dinner for 8 people but as 'er indoors is Spanish the postre was a wonderful tart from Cordoba (her city of birth) called "pastel Cordobes", filled with Cabello de Angel, which contains very sweet apple puree and cinnamon amongst other things and covered in sugar. Gorgeous and not a calorie in sight!!
"I will pass this way but once"

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:24 pm

We celebrated both - 24th we had Spanish style then Xmas Day we went to friends house for trad. turkey etc. Prefer Spanish style any day. :D
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:10 pm

We had a spanish one and spent the 25th walking on the beach, we had turky on Boxing Day. LOL and loved every minute of it.

julian
Andalucia Guru

xmas

Postby julian » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:27 pm

I drank far too much whisky which seems to be an important part of spanish culture!!!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:30 pm

And did everyone eat the anguilas on nochebuena :?: Are you really expecting an honest answer on A.com :?: Of course they ate spanish style, and went out for tapas on Christmas day like the spanish and decided to give the turkey a miss in the interest of being a purist...can a duck swim. Just for the record I hate turkey, the smell sickens me...and all that dark meat, but I also dislike the seafood concotions the spanish eat. Hot roast pork sandwich woud suit me...or even beans on toast!

claire82
Tourist

xmas dinner

Postby claire82 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:37 pm

Well our family had traditional Christmas dinner on xmas day :D , to be fair I cant stand the Spanish Christmas dinner had it last year,
WHO EATS FISH AT CHRISTMAS??????? :shock:

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:16 pm

we spent christmas eve with spanish freinds we had chicken and ham and some fish but not all fish it was nice.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:32 pm

We had the makings of a new tradition ! It was steak on the BBQ. Bought at mercadona and well marinated it was marvelous...we'll behaving the same again next year. Mind you there was a bit of whiskey in the marinade

Fred

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:45 pm

Canadian Club or Crown Royal?
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:00 pm

"Canadian Club or Crown Royal?"

He did say whiskey John G.

Is that not Irish ?, you know the proper stuff.

anyroads.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:43 am

daaaaassssss issssss righttttt!!
Irish whiskey, but Scotch whisky. anything else is bourbon or sour mash!!
Unless its a Japanese copy!!
Happy 2007 to all viewers!!!!

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:09 am

Yes OK
Sorry it was real scotch .. and i know it should have been ingested straight instead of in our meat! Did do a lovely job on tenderizing our steaks though...

John G ..Have seen CC and Crown Royal here but for some reason they seem expensive !
Fred

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:33 pm

Fred - Do you think it has anything to do with transportation?
Just to get my little slip of a wife to Spain cost me $7400 CDN. :shock: :cry:
(Due to her very bad back she had to fly Business/First Class. Explains why we are not returning in 2007). :x :x
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:26 am

Hi JAWG

Too bad about the bad back..the two of us + dog made it out for 2000 and that included going through Amsterdam as it was the only way to get the dog out here at that time. We could easily spend 5 months out here on that kind of money. Hopefully the back will improve or your winter will be as warm as December was until recently!
Fred

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Winter will be warmer than December.
We leave for 3 months in Florida on Wednesday. Go by car and take our time. Most people make the trip in 2-3 days. We are taking 5!
:D :D :D :D :D
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:46 pm

We had friends who lived in Thunder Bay and they invited us to drive down to Florida taking almost 2 weeks. Much as we would have liked to do it we couldn't but we did meet up with them the following year in St Pete's.

Marinade for the bar-b-q, whiskey is fine Irish or Scots but try it with poteen. Just don't let a naked flame hit it.

As for the Spanish culture, we went to a restaurant and had fish drank Rioja and in the background a classical guitar disc was being played.

mhic.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:28 pm

Spanish style is not all fish - they actually have a combination of dishes which include solomillo de ternera (fillet steak) in sauce served with veg as the main course. Starters are usually combination of iberican salami, chorizo salchichon etc followed by prawns, various plates of shellfish or perhaps a seafood soup, then a fish course or sorbet, then the main course (meat). I prefer the Spanish desserts to Xmas pud but that is only my personal taste.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.