Winterising a swimming pool

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:29 pm

The directions for dosage on the copper sulphate we bought to use in our pool worked out at about a thimble full when we were recommisssioning after last winter. I can't see why you'd need to drain a pool with such small amounts involved

I was led to believe the major problem with copper sulphate is its tendancy to turn blonde hair green :shock:

Pools are one of those subjects where everyone has their own ideas as to what is right or wrong.

Kenny

Edited to add that I believe the best way to keep a pool clean over winter if you are not there is....

1) Loads of chlorine
2) Keep water moving as much as you can
3) Bring a mate some English goodies over for him in return for visiting it once every couple of weeks
4) Cover with an olive net as it won't blow off and will keep the big stuff out. Leaves foliage and other organic debris are the biggest problem I've found.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:09 pm

I don't understand why you would need copper sulphate? The last pool I had was treated once per week with chlorine and/or PH -/+ depending on needs and generally treated as a normal pool.

With the new pool, I've done the same although admittedly there may be some variation with the Ph as a result of it being new. I'm just ensuring that the two pumps come on twice per day and that it's vacuumed and if it's anything like the last one - that should do it.

Has anyone used their pool this Christmas? I went in on Christmas day - 8 degrees with a wet suit on - flipping cold. New Year's day - 10 degrees with shorts on - still flipping cold! Going to treat myself to a heater next winter.

:lol:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:28 pm

We don't use Copper sulphate any more. Only used it in the first place because a self proclaimed "pool guru" told us to.....he said it would kill algi and make water clearer, I couldn't tell any difference :?

No, after taking loads of bum steers on pool related issues I firmly believe in keeping water moving with the pump and sticking somewhere near the marks on the test kit.

If the water is crystal, flies die overnight when in pool, and you can't smell the chlorine then jobs a goodun.

Funny thing about pools is that people also differ on how much water it should lose in summer The guru I was talking about took great delight in telling me and OH that the new pool was leaking as it was losing a tile a week. I went back and had murder with the builder :shock: ........I now realise the guru was a scare mongering idiot :!: ....the sort who tells you that your flesh will fall off if the PH is one shade out :!:

Kenny

Kenny

meseta
Andalucia.com Amigo

pool cover

Postby meseta » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:35 am

I bought a good quality one from the UK and find it to be more trouble than it's worth ! ( for that read too lazy to take it on and off ! ) 8x4m with roman end, for sale now - PM for info ! Alhaurin de la Torre area.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:12 pm

I followed Beachcombers advice of the 17th Sept. Result lovely clear water. Windborne debris hasn't been a problem so haven't needed a cover but still vacuum once a week.

We do have some quite big areas of tiles and grout with brown staining that resists cleaning by brush. Maybe this is from the original well water filling, maybe the tilers didn't brush away all the grout off the surface. Any suggestions on how to clean?

olive

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:27 pm

If this is on the floor of the pool you can 'bomb' the affected areas with granular chlorine. Cleaning walls affected in this way is rather more difficult without draining.

Brushing the floor and walls regularly will help prevent the build up of these stains and dislodge particles which have not been removed during vacuuming.

cath nueva andalucia
Tourist

Postby cath nueva andalucia » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:11 pm

If you need any advice, my hubby has a pool company covering the Coast, Easy Pools, he will give you advice.

cath nueva andalucia
Tourist

Postby cath nueva andalucia » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:24 pm

one important detail I missed, the phone number, 697 822 414

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:41 pm

Does 'hubby' build pools or is it just the maintenance?
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -