Are we unlucky

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:10 pm

That supports my experience as well. The police in Sanlucar were deeply embarrassed that we had been mugged in their town and did everything to help us including getting all our credit cards cancelled from the police station. We used a link from the station to an interpreter in Madrid who filed our report and e-mailed it back to Sanlucar within minutes. We had a crime number (the insurance paid in full) and the police kept us informed daily on progress. No items were recovered but our passports were mysteriously posted to my Mum in the UK. Her address had been in my passport as my contact in case of emergencies. As muggings go it was a fantastic reassurance that crime is taken VERY seriously, certainly in Sanlucar.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:40 pm

You both seem to be turning your experiences round to fit the standard A.com rose spectacles view that UK is a crime ridden hell hole and Spain is a paradise.
You have never been robbed in the UK, but were in Spain...!? but it was your own fault?! :?
Local shopkeepers and local police did everything they could to help you - yes, like they would in any UK tourist town (we'll leave London for now) - it's their livelihood as well under threat if tourists get robbed.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:50 pm

Notice in Marbella police station "If you only speak english do not report your crime here call 901......."

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:02 pm

Kevin 77:
I'm guilty as charged! Can I have probation?

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:27 pm

Can I have probation?
No. Community service; you will have to be Katy's cleaner for 3 months. :twisted:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:30 pm

No worries. Katy sounds lovely. The sort of person who cleans before the cleaner gets there.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:36 pm

You may take the *beep* Alan but I don't think there are many people on this forum who are living on the breadline. Many friends living very near to you all have cleaners.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:01 pm

For Gods sake don't knock Katy's cleaners. I want that house ship shape,with nice fresh fluffy white towels and pressed linen and the bed free of rubics cubes for when me and Mrs. CK come over there for our get together and evening of fine wine and home made Spanish cuisine :oops: :wink:

Kenny
PS
I phoned Royal Mail this morning as I'm sure our postman has nicked our invite :cry:

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:00 pm

I don't think there are many people on this forum who are living on the breadline
Some of them are living on 800 GBP per month Katy. In my book that it is pretty near the breadline. :wink:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:36 pm

Kenny if your invite's been sent to the UK using Royal mail you can forget it, Haven't you seen the statistics for "lost/theft" of mail in the UK :shock: :D

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:58 pm

Lorraine, I've suspected my shifty looking postman for ages :shock: I reckon that's why I only got one birthday card last July 8) :wink:

Kenny

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:16 pm

"Some of them are living on 800 GBP per month Katy. In my book that it is pretty near the breadline."

You can get a lot of bread for 800 GBP per month !

anyroads

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:20 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:Lorraine, I've suspected my shifty looking postman for ages :shock: I reckon that's why I only got one birthday card last July 8) :wink:

Kenny
Especially as your birthday was in february. :shock: :lol:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:22 pm

:lol: SH, Happy new year

Kenny

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:28 pm

You can get a lot of bread for 800 GBP per month !
And life in Andalucia is like a sh*t sandwich etc...
(B.Manning 1978) :lol:

Aimeej
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Aimeej » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:15 am

Guys.Guys (and Girls)

We seem to have lost the plot!!!!!!

I didnt want to compare Spain and UK, Mick hic's comment was enough for me.

I just wanted some reassurance that Competa and surrounding area was not a crime ridden hot spot!!!!!. or any worse than any other area (leave Barcelona and Madrid out!) I expect some crime like any other place in the world!!

Having been a victim of crime in Spain and not in the UK I can only base my experience on that. Police reaction was mediocre and the trauma of having passports stolen amongst other things will live with me for a long time!!!

I desperately want to move to Spain and as pointed out many times on this forum, one should do their homework and lots of it, which is what I am doing with the help of you guys!!!

Plus I dont want to start learning another language, Spanish verb construction is enough for me at the moment!!!!! :roll:
La practica hace maestro al novico

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:00 pm

I just wanted some reassurance
I desperately want to move to Spain
Mick hic's comment was enough for me
Aimeej, I think you want the forum members to tick all the boxes for you and off you go to live the dream with no worries. 8)
Obviously you are not that naive, but there seems to be plenty of forum members who have experienced crime of some sort.
Many seem to be prepared to accept it as an acceptable price to pay in return for a life in the sun - maybe they are right but crime seems definitely to be an issue which crops up more and more on A.com.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:51 pm

Does anyone on this forum watch "Andalucia Directo" or "España Directo" in the evenings? Quite an eye opener to what is going on.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Aimeej
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Aimeej » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:06 pm

Kevin77

I am a 44 year old woman - not some jumped up 16 year old.

Please dont bother to tick any of my boxes - the decision to move will be mine and mine alone

If I can't come to a forum like this to learn some truths about the place and ask pertinent questions what's the point of such a forum and whats the point of doing research. If I was that stupid I would have moved years ago like some ignorant brit!!!

I wanted opinions and relevant experience only then can I make informed well researched decisions. Any idiot can tell me there is crime everywhere!

Aimeej
La practica hace maestro al novico

Julie
Andalucia Guru

malaga

Postby Julie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:56 pm

Hi Aimeej

I agree with you, you wanted opinions and to listen to people with relevant experience, to enable you to make a informed decision, I am sorry that you have been upset by person/s on this forum, most people do try to help, but you also get people that are right in thier minds eye regardless.
Follow your gut feelings, if you think it is for you, go for it, if in doubt then, the option is yours.
Good luck what ever you decide