HELP! Where can I get my oats ?

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

HELP! Where can I get my oats ?

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:34 pm

Don´t get too excited,....... I´m just looking for advice on where I can buy supplies of my favourite breakfast cereal..Scotts or Jordans porridge oats, so please don´t send me details of where to obtain a young Russian bride, and please, no unsolicited e-mails with offers of cheap V****a........I live inland near Granada, but am quite willing to forage for my porridge, anywhere in Andalucia...I normally bring back at least 12 cartons from Uk, but due to a logistical error on my last trip, I came back empty- handed...I have bought , in the past, Gachas de avena, from a local Spanish shop, but was most dis-gruntled , when I found it full of weevils!..( no silly ! not weasels, weevils..little creepy crawlies ! )......My Wife lovingly prepares my daily porridge, adding sultanas, chopped prunes, diced apple etc....Today I had an egg on toast...what a let down !...So please help me to track down my oats...Go on ..make an old man happy! ! :wink:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:39 pm

I was force fed that stuff as a kid :cry: In my opinion Wallpaper paste granuals would make an exact substitute :wink: readily available from Euroski in Velez :shock:

Kenny

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:46 pm

el corte ingles on Arabial Calle sell all manner of healthy oats

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:20 pm

All Mercadonas sell boxes of porridge oats - copos de avena. Dark blue box.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:22 pm

We normally like the Scotts Porridge Oats but on a recent trip to a Supermarche branch in Vera I found a 500g bag of Hamlyns of Scotland Scottish Porridge Oats - and they're very good. Keep looking and I'm sure you'll find.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:48 pm

You could always go to Gibraltar! Plenty in Morrisons there.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:13 am

I just ask the wife...

Anyroads

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:01 am

Many thanks for the help and for the humourous advice, and I will start my ¨Forage for Porridge`, next week...In the meantime I will have to survive with my egg on toast , each morning.! :lol:

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:30 pm

Hi Benidorm, we are coming over to Granada for 2 weeks in early February, and be bringing a packet of Quaker Oats for my hubby. if you are really desperate and haven't found any porridge by then we could always bring you a packet or two over.

We could arrange a meeting in Granada by the cathedral at a pre-arranged time, The only stipulation is, that if I bring Scott's Oats over, you will have to attend said meeting wearing a kilt, any tartan will do.
Any problem with that?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:44 pm

That´s very kind of you Concorde, and if I have any problems finding supplies I will contact you......As for wearing a kilt, I´ll see what I can do, after all I would do anything to get my oats!.....I hope that you have a safe and trouble-free journey to Granada.... :wink:

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:10 pm

Now let me see if I've got this right. Getting your oats - outside a cathedral - wearing a kilt! Hmmmm - the mind boggles! :lol: :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:10 pm

WELL....I now have visions of me standing outside the cathedral in Granada, wearing a kilt, showing off my lilly-white legs and ´sparrows kneecaps`, not a pretty site. I can assure you!...And I would of course have to perform a ritual ´I need my oats dance`, surrounded by my large collection of Tribal Art......trouble is, with my luck , there would be a baby boom in Granada in nine months time and I would be blamed and then pursued by the child support agency......You know what.....I think I will change my breakfast cereal to cornflakes, much safer and I can get them down the road !....

Keep Smiling, Keep Laughing....but remember if you laugh too much the ´men in white coats`will come and take you away......

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:16 pm

Try the herboristeria shops for oats.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:15 pm

Just to advise you that I have now reached a climax with my search for my oats, and I have now been able to get a good stock of oats,and can now report that I am very satisfied........Thank you all for your help! !

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:02 pm

I hope your wife is equally satisfied! :lol: :lol:

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:00 pm

Somebody forgot about piped music...now theres a thought!!!! Granada cathederal, oats, tartan, knobbly knees and...music!!! SOOOOO traditional for Spain!!!! :lol: :wink:
Donna

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:40 pm

Shukran,
Thank you so much for your interest, and the answer of course has to be......YES YES YES !!!!!!! :shock:

And I do hope that you are now fit and well.......... :wink:

D & P.....Piped music, now there´s a thought....very stirring ....... :wink: