Dunnes Stores in Mijas Costa

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
cummil2
Tourist

Dunnes Stores in Mijas Costa

Postby cummil2 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:53 am

Does anybody know what this store stocks , Is it just linen or have they other line ,

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:14 am

mijas costa near eroski / myramar ?? linen, clothes, food, shoes, baby clothes, household, furniture, theres a meat counter...

it sells alot of stuff.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:13 pm

I hate to tell you this but they always have some items on rebajas, especially in the clothing section. There is also a tapas bar within the store, very reasonable.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:58 am

why do you hate to say it ??

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:05 am

It is sometimes known as 'The Irish Marks and Spencer' and, in common with its UK counterpart it has gone seriously downhill over the past few years.

Whether its own fortunes are reviving in the same way as those of the real M&S appear to be I wouldn't know as I now tend to go to el Corte Inglés instead.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:57 am

I have been to Dunnes in Mijas and also the one in Malaga in the Eroski Centre. In my opinion it is great in as far as shoe sizes - you can always find bigger sizes - and socks and underwear is really good value and their pyjamas and dressing gowns are excellent value and good quality. Their kitchen, bedroom and bathroom accessories are good too - I agree they seem similar to Marks and Spencer.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:57 pm

Spanish - I hate it because my OH keeps taking me there and it costs me a fortune.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:16 am

try BHS in gibralter, they've got a 75% off sale on at the mo ;)

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:59 am

I always get my shoes and trainers in Dunnes Store; they are very good quality for the price and what my mother used to call "sensible shoes".
I take a size twelve and they always have them, which is more than a lot of so called shoe shops in the uk had .
Their housewares department is also very good; the store has definately improved muchly in the last twelve months. Worth another visit Beach?

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:09 pm

Spanish lad - thanks a bunch for that last suggestion. If my wife sees that posting it will cost me even more. The petrol, M&S, BHS, Next, Morrisons, and the little shops around the new square will all have to be visited.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:45 pm

"It is sometimes known as 'The Irish Marks and Spencer' and, in common with its UK counterpart it has gone seriously downhill over the past few years."

Beachcomber.....where have you been ??.

Marks and Spencer is flying these days, the share price closed at GBP 6.85 on Friday evening ( I bought at GBP 1.53, and yes, i still have them ).

I can't vouch for Dunne's Stores but with the Irish economy the strongest in Europe at the moment I expect they are doing rather well also.

You are right on one thing though, they are the "Irish Marks and Spencer"( but with much more colourful family ownership, look it up on the net sometime). St Bernard brand as opposed to St Michael's.

anyroads

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:00 pm

This is the problem with selective quoting. This is the rest of my post that you quoted from:
Beachcomber wrote:Whether its own fortunes are reviving in the same way as those of the real M&S appear to be I wouldn't know as I now tend to go to el Corte Inglés instead.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:33 pm

Right Beachcomber ....perhaps I did jump the gun a bit.

What better way to "celebrate" my 50th post that to say "sorry".

Now, how are you on solariums ?( see my earlier post )

anyroads.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:43 pm

OK anyroads, thanks.

I saw your post about the solarium but didn't really know what you meant. Isn't a solarium a kind of glassed in patio where you can sit in the winter to get the sun?

If you mean solarium in this context I don't see what you can do with it except just that.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:29 pm

"solarium"

I mean a flat roof ( on a new build ) with perhaps a 4 foot wall around it.

anyroads.

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:40 pm

anyroads wrote: Marks and Spencer is flying these days, the share price closed at GBP 6.85 on Friday evening ( I bought at GBP 1.53, and yes, i still have them ).
When did you buy them? I remember them going down to 1.90 a few years ago but I don't remember them going as low as 1.53. Of course I could be wrong, I didn't check the price on a daily basis.

They borrow a lot of money these days, they didn't a few years ago. That's good because they get tax relief on the interest payments and the return is greater when it is geared...if the investment pays off.

Their sales have gone down over the past few years, up a little bit in 2006 but their operating profit has gone up by a lot. Is this due to them cutting costs and in doing so cutting quality? I certainly think so.

I used to shop exclusively at M&S but I rarely go there these days and maybe M&S don't care. I think they make their money from people who care more about clothes than I do. I know a lot of young women will wear something a few times and then discard it whereas I have two pairs of trousers which I expect to last me about 3 years. If I'm going to buy trousers that last only a couple of months then I'll shop at Primark and I'll expect my trousers to be of poor quality and be quite happy when they have to be chucked in the bin.

The only problem I have with Primark is the sizes. Their trousers only go up to a 54 inch waist but I can squeeze into them although they are then very skin tight. I did have a problem when I bought some underpants that were supposed to be extra large but they were very tight too. It was pointed out to me when I was standing at the bar that the material of my underpants was probably part lycra because I had the most astounding VPL.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:08 pm

lowest point in the past 6 years -
250 - 260...

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:20 pm

I agree I think Dunnes stores are very good, especially for underwear, socks etc. Also very nice linen on sale, sheets etc. I bought an excellent Duvet there last year which was on sale 19 euros I paid for a Duck Down duvet and some very nice cashmere woolens. Get my mint there too :lol:

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:05 pm

There is another, smaller. Dunnes store in the Las Rampas area of Fuengirola - perhaps more convenient for out-of-towners who come in by bus or train :-)

Gus

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:36 am

oops sorry...... you are right of course citymike.I meant GBP 2.53, it was a typo, and I realised once I had hit the send button, but, I did not think I would not get picked up here. How wrong can you be ?.

anyroads.