Bidet or not?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Valencia_Paul
Resident

Bidet or not?

Postby Valencia_Paul » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:55 pm

With the other thread about showers versus baths I thought I would bring up the subject of the bidet.

One thing I have noticed when viewing Spanish properties is that you know a Brit developer has re-formed a bathroom when you see that there is no bidet, even when there is plenty of space for one.

I'm currently having my bathroom in Spain re-formed and have included a bidet.

What do others think - Personally I think bidets are a great idea but us Brits seem to have issues with them.

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:10 pm

Yes, they are great............................................for washing the sand off your feet, or as my OH says keeping the cans of his lager cold while you soak in the bath.
Jenny

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:11 pm

IMHO they are essential if you are in the campo where you will undoubtedly have a pozo negra or bio-whatsit where all the outlets go.
Too much loo paper bungs the things up and stops the biological process working, so using the bidet cuts this appreciably. It can add a year or two onto the interval between emptying (if old-style pozo) and save money that way. Only option is to see if you can train one of those sweet little golden labrador pups to eat the stuff instead of just playing with it........
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:50 pm

Our new house came with a bidet in each of the three bathrooms, but to be honest we couldn't see the need for three of them, so to make more room we only had one fitted so that we could carry on cutting our toe nails at just the right height! :lol:
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:14 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markscott/228347839/

Works better than any bidet :shock:

Kenny

jennyshaw
Resident

Postby jennyshaw » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:38 pm

as anyone ever been to Turkey, there they have a sort of pipe that sticks right out, and if you forget its there you get a right shock!!.
Jenny

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:10 pm

Hey Camp Kenny, think of the leg muscles you could develop!!! My missus was looking at it and thinking of adaptions etc, worrying is it not??? ha ha ha ha
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:25 pm

:lol: .............we position ours on the terrace and make visitors do 15 minutes before getting in pool :shock:

Kenny

fearfulfred
Resident

bidet or not

Postby fearfulfred » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:44 pm

No question. At the moment we are moving the washing machine from bathroom to kitchen to make room for a bidet. Most women I know love them. As to the hose pipe..saw them all over Indonesia bit never tried to use one..not actually sure what they are for. Bidets do make sense for the campo peteroldracer.

Fred

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:32 pm

I complete the 3 S's every morning at the same time on the dot. I have an extra shower or two during the day or before we go out and that's that :oops:

Why would one need to squirt a jet of mis-aimed water up ones crevace for no reason :? :shock:

We have A bidet in Spain by the way but it is only used for marinating legs of lamb and suchlike :oops: We had last time we were over a resident Gecko who lived in it..........If I meet anyone who admits to using a bidet I always think the worst..... i.e. bad nether regions :!:

These yuppie non-needed contraptions are virtually unheard of in the UK, and B&Q have stopped ordering them in :shock:

I'll stick to my inverted shower head and fabulous constitution :wink:

Kenny

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:24 am

I'm with you Kenny, regular as clockwork, good job i don't sleep in. :oops:
We keep a couple of spare toilet rolls in ours, handy being next to toilet, then you dont' have to scrabble to the cupboard for a new one, or shout for the other half to bring you one.
So the only time the lid gets lifted is to retrive the spare.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:37 am

Good idea :!: I may suggest that to OH. I always imagine people sitting on these things singing that star trek song from a few years back " There's clingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow.......etc etc"
Kenny

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:39 am

Never use anything that doesn´t have an English name, that´s my rule of thumb! :shock:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:06 am

We chucked ours out straight away and put a decent bathroom cabinet in one vacated space & a tumble drier in the other!

Fancy French rubbish they are - never trust a person who actually enjoys using one :D :D :D

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:10 pm

a tumble drier in the other
That's how I dry off, afterwards - a tumble drier in the other :o :shock: :oops:

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:56 pm

I am as regular as clockwork too, 0730 on the dot. Used to annoy the missus but now I set the alarm for quarter to seven, problem solved. :lol:

Kenny I never thought about marinating meat in it, thanks for the tip. It is great however for soaking rice to get rid of the excess starch.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:09 pm

As far as I’m concerned, it’s a matter of personal hygiene, especially in the summer when it gets a bit hot & sweaty, the bidet wins every time, it makes me feel cleaner, fresher and is therefore healthier. :D

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:06 pm

has anyone else got any thoughts on the necessity of having one if you live in the campo with a pozo negro? ? Thanks
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Whizzbaby
Andalucia.com Amigo

Bidets

Postby Whizzbaby » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:47 pm

masterob wrote:Never use anything that doesn´t have an English name, that´s my rule of thumb! :shock:
Life for you must be extremely difficult living in a foreign country then??!!

spanish hopes

Re: Bidets

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:11 pm

A lot of things available in a foreign country do actually have an English name equivalent, e.g. ARROZ - RICE. What iis the English name equivalent of BIDET? :lol: