Self raising flour ....

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
pentaqua-new
Resident

Self raising flour ....

Postby pentaqua-new » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:07 am

Wanting to take advantage of No.2 son's visit, (he's a chef), we want him to bake some scones. What is self raising flour called here? We've looked for "polvo de hornear" to use with normal flour if self raising isn't available, but can't find that either. Help!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:15 am

Harina con levadura is self raising flour. Baking powder is levadura en polvo. You may find that you need to add more baking powder to the self raising flour to get it to behave as you expect so it may be best to stick with regular flour and add your own baking powder to avoid unrisen cakes!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:38 am

MrsB is in full agreement with the advice from Hillybilly..You can also obtain British Self Raising flour from Mercadona and quite a few other Spanish supermarkets, but only in small packets and expensive compared with Spanish flour.I am also told that many of the 'English' shops stock UK self raising flour..

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:17 pm

Agree with both comments - Spanish "self-raising" flour does not - self-raise that is! Maybe that is connected with the statistic that Spain is one of Europe's biggest consumers of V1agra? The country is so laid-back it has trouble getting up.........
it is better to buy a straightforward flour - correct type depending on whether you want it for cakes (pasteleria), or to make batter (por frier) then add baking powder. The little packs in the supermarkets are not such good value as a 500g tub - from Makro or other catering suppliers.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:37 pm

Now there's an :idea: V1agra in my cakes.

Might help my spotted d**k pudding to rise too. :lol:

Robbbo57
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robbbo57 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:29 am

hillybilly wrote:Harina con levadura is self raising flour. Baking powder is levadura en polvo. You may find that you need to add more baking powder to the self raising flour to get it to behave as you expect so it may be best to stick with regular flour and add your own baking powder to avoid unrisen cakes!
What don't you know about?
Smile - you're going to die!:-)

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:01 pm

Robbo wrote
What don't you know about?
Is there ANYTHING you know about, or are you just an annoyance ??
Hardworking resident !!

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:01 pm

If you live near enough to Fuengirola the new English supermarket called Overseas has all types of English flour for baking and also strong read flour.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:05 am

Also in Benalmadena there is a new Brit-Bits shop selling UK flour, and now Waitrose is open in Fuengirola with a huge range of all UK products.

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:18 pm

Do you know exactly where Waitrose in Fuengirola is?

papajohnsplace
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby papajohnsplace » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:19 am

The best flour is the ordinary flour from Lidl and they have the baking powder too, on the shelf above the freezers. i used to make scones for farmer's market a couple of years back and found these products to definitely be excellent.