Calorgas fires

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Kalevela

Calorgas fires

Postby Kalevela » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:36 pm

Hello, I have recently acquired a two bedroomed apartment in Sitio de Calahonda, on the third floor and with an open fireplace, presumably for burning wood, is it possible to fit, legally and, if done professionally, a calorgas fire into the existing fireplace.
I have only been to this place twice before and remember that it was very cold in winter, any answers will be useful, thanks

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:37 pm

I very much doubt it. It's certainly illegal in the UK, so I'd have thought the Spanish authorities would take a similar line although I don't know for sure so take my opinion as you find.

Kalevela

Postby Kalevela » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Thank you for the reply.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:59 pm

I have been advised that calor gas heating is not a good idea for a non-permanent residence. Apparently it creates dampness and consequently mould when the property is closed up for a length of time.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:58 pm

It's true calor gas gives off water vapour when it burns. If you don't want an open fire, why not put in a wood stove. It's more efficient than an open fire and will give a good dry heat.
Grouser

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:48 pm

Sorry, I didn't read your original post properly. Theoretically, you could install a LPG fire that was vented utilising the chimney which would get round the condensate issues but I still think the regulations would disallow this due to the unique properties of LPG.

Robbbo57
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Robbbo57 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:26 am

Be safe...electric heating is the way. Switch on....switch off....
Smile - you're going to die!:-)

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:12 pm

Electric heating is no more or less safe than LPG.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:01 pm

safeashouses wrote:I have been advised that calor gas heating is not a good idea for a non-permanent residence. Apparently it creates dampness and consequently mould when the property is closed up for a length of time.
I concur. We never had any mould until last Christmas after we purchased a bottled gas heater. Suddenly our bedroom began to smell musty and mould appeared even though we open the windows every day that we are there for a couple of hours except when it's raining!
Brian.

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:20 pm

Faire d'Income wrote:Electric heating is no more or less safe than LPG.
Agreed old electric heaters can leak oil and become very dangerous as they can burst into flames. Gas heaters make places damp as they give off water vapor as they burn so if you don't want to make your gaff any damper go for good fit for use (new is better) electric heaters.
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"