Foreign plated cars with no tax

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Foreign plated cars with no tax

Postby Ursula » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:58 pm

Is there a website where you can "shop" people - I am fed up seeing cars, particularly British, that have no tax and have been in Spain for over a year and the owners have no intention of doing anything about it.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Foreign plated cars with no tax

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:14 pm

Ursula wrote:Is there a website where you can "shop" people
http://direct.gov.uk/Motoring/OwningAVe ... chk=RkhSVT

It is anonymous. As I have said here before, I have no qualms about dropping these parasites in it - apart from the unfairness of them not paying their dues when the rest of us do, I still think that anyone that irresponsible would drive away from an accident, even if there were injured people, to avoid detection - an offence that should carry at least ten years in Alhaurin de Torre.
Shame that it isn't like Crimestoppers, with a reward, as it would be a good way of topping up the pension!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:31 pm

As I understand it, they're only interested in cars that are still in the UK and which, therefore, they can do something about.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:40 pm

I would suggest that that type of person keeps an English address to use for fiddling benefits etc, so a car would be registered there. There is a £1000 fine for not telling DVLA that a car has been permanently exported.......

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:41 pm

Be careful who you grass up, i guy got shot in marbella for ringing finance companys in the uk and telling them where vehicles were that they had not been paid for

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:57 pm

hillybilly wrote:As I understand it, they're only interested in cars that are still in the UK and which, therefore, they can do something about.
But nothing gets done in the UK due to the lack of patrol cars these days, which is why not only do we have a problem with British cars but also the ever increasing amount of Polish registered vehicles that are in the UK for a lot longer than six months.

cfc.Kimo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Car Road Tax

Postby cfc.Kimo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:21 pm

Britain should copy Jersey in the Channel Islands. Car road tax was stopped and the tax was put on the cost of petrol and diesel. A big saving on Government workers and paper. But the best idea was the tax disc was replaced by an insurance disc, the police than know instantly if a car is insured. Let the people with the big cars pay more for using more fuel(Help the Planet). But the Government in Britain wants to have cameras everywhere checking your journey and charging you on the miles you have taken, this will cost millions.
The simple answer is copy Jersey!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Do the spanish police not care about this? A casual walk around our village shaows about 15 UK cars with out of date tax discs. The police obviously patrol as they stick parking fines on other cars illegally parked.

Is parking in forbidden zones more important than tax discs? Some of the ones near me are 4 years out of date!!!!!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:52 am

i asked this before.. nobody cared a toss :(

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:39 am

Well I am definitely going to do something about it, it makes me sick just looking at those cars. Always plenty in the car parks at Lidl and Eroski in Antequera.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:34 pm

Even wierder, and more stupid, is seeing Brit-plated cars, with or without in-date tax discs, with Spanish ITV stickers! These have absolutely no validity, so the idiots have wasted their money on the test, and if the UK tax disc is genuine, is not valid because the ITV is not accepted by the UK authorities - it also means that because they do not have a valid test certificate their insurance (if any) is invalid too!
Two short planks, some people, as well as crooked parasites!
This phenomenon can be observed on a white estate car, "S" reg, usually to be found right near the cemetery in Comares. Visitors taking the "Ruta de Illegal Brit" trail can also see two Brit-plated cars with no tax, old enough to need MoT, as they start the climb up the road to the car park below the Ayuntamiento, and a further Brit car often near the first-mentioned one at the cemetery with apparently valid tax disc, but has been here over six months so should not be being used......and as for the "car park" on the camino down from Comares to Las Cuevas, with cars with bits missing, others with no tax, German-reg cars, Transits (which are not possible to legalise here.....

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:32 pm

Why don't you take photos of them and post them on forums using Photobucket or similar to shame them. You could also get a free blog from google and post them on it.

The other thing that really annoys me is seeing fly postering of English businesses on lamposts and walls in local Spanish towns and villages. Sooo embarrassing to be British

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:38 pm

sunkissed wrote:Why don't you take photos of them and post them on forums
I get the distinct feeling that Admin would whip the picture links off faster than a cheap tart's knickers............

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:51 pm

Have you thought that its possible to set up our own sort of gestapo through this forum, can't think what to call it though :?: Regarding fly-posting, I hate it...but don't spanish do it too :?:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:31 pm

Katy, I quite like the idea of some sort of Gestapo type unit. It would have to have a different more convivial name of course. All members would have to be absolutely whiter than white, and could meet regularly and devise new ways of cracking down on people- preferably ordinary people. They could even contribute to some CCTV kit and man it as they no doubt have plenty of time and certainly energy. One stipulation I would make is that they would all have to wear some form of highly visible ID e.g. a T shirt with Mr Angry on it or an arm band or similar. That way the rest of us could avoid them in case we are seen jaywalking, overstaying our parking by a minute, wearing a loud shirt or other heinous crime. Also come the day of enlightenment they could all be carted off to somewhere else (Romania) where there skills could be put to great effect there.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone long stay Brit cars not matriculated but I for one came here because the Spanish are a lot more relaxed about life than the Brits. Sadly it won't be that long before they catch up with or without the help of the "Gestapo".

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:30 am

So, Olive, by your statement you agree to people not taxing and insuring their cars then? If someone in a Brit car which is not taxed and insured hits you, what would you do?
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:29 pm

I would be worried if any uninsured car hit me not just a Brit car :roll: According to Sur there are thousands of spanish drivers that are not insured many have not even passed driving test.

We could start up a vigilante group and also have various sub-groups, daubing slogans on Brit bars, tripping-up guys with tatoos, burning copies of the Sun, possibilities are endless. We should meet (Inland of course) to discuss a name for the group, could be

Brits against Brits in España (BABIE) or maybe keep it spanish,
Guiris against guiris (GAG)
:wink: :wink:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:13 pm

All the people who are dodging their responsibilities could be elected to a special organisation - Andalucian People Refusing to Accept Taxes.
The first 100 members would qualify for special membership as Inaugral Members, entitling them to wear T-shirts emblazoned to show their standing in the community.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:23 pm

I prefer Olive's suggestion of arm bands :wink:

Pigeon Tim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pigeon Tim » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:43 pm

If it bothers you that much then why don't you confront the owners and inform them their cars need to be taxed. Perhaps they don't actually realise this. After all, it is Spain.