Torremolinos parking

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
alaninspain
Resident

Torremolinos parking

Postby alaninspain » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:30 pm

the Costa Del Sol News printed the agreement between local stores and the operator of the underground carpark @ Plaza De Andalucia. It seems because of previous high charges only 5% occupancy was taken up. The car park will be free to users provided they make purchases in the stores. I did not know until today there were 800 spaces

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:41 pm

where's that ? only underground i know about is the one in the road opposite mcdonalds in the high street ?? (no way are there 800 places in that one!, unless you are including the non public ones??)

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:15 pm

I have only walked through the plaza from Calle San Miguel, but it must be under there somewhere. I was not really looking for the car park sign, only for a Cruzcampo sign - purely for research purposes. I thought if I approached the University for support for a Humanities Thesis on the effect of reduced smoking areas on the local hostelries, I may be able to attract heavy funding. Contributions from other mebers would be appreciated.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:45 am

Plaza Andalucia has been one big building site for over three years, and the new car park underneath it finally opened a couple of months back. I never fully understood why the council would spend money on building more car parks (there's another new underground one on the main road from Torremolinos to Benalmadena, in the Montemar area) since Spanish drivers will never pay to use one while it is still acceptable practice to double park, park in bus stops, on pedestrian crossings, on pavements, across private driveways, on roundabouts etc etc. I'm sure the huge cost of building these superfluous car parks could be covered pretty quickly by employing some UK traffic wardens for a few weeks, and drivers would learn pretty quickly that it's more economical to pay to park properly than get towed.
Still, at least there's a pretty new fountain on Plaza Andalucia.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.