"Tweaking" a Satellite Dish

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Alan-LaCala
Resident

"Tweaking" a Satellite Dish

Postby Alan-LaCala » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:02 pm

Since the high winds of a few weeks ago we have had difficulty getting Channel 4 in the evening. Until then it had generally been fine, except if the weather was very bad. While I do not watch much Ch 4, I do occasionally.

Can someone (Beach?) explain what is meant by "tweaking". Are we talking about the actual dish itself, or the LNB?

Is it something you can do yourself? Someone at one of my classes said you need a professional with some instrument to measure signal strength.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:02 pm

You certainly can tweak it yourself, no special equipment required.
You need 2 people - one on the roof (or wherever the dish is!) with spanner and one watching the TV!
You most probably need to move the dish itself very slightly, then wait a bit and then see how the signal strength and quality responds from the blue services/system setup/signal test screen.
If you know what sort of bar readings you were getting previously, try and restore these or just try to get both readings as high as possible!
Hours of fun..

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:07 pm

its something that you can do yourself, but its not recomended, its VERY easy to mess up the alignment.

its alot easier to pay someone 40€ to come in and do it properly.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:43 pm

Yes, it's easy to lose everything and not be able to get it back.

If you do try it yourself make sure you mark the existing settings so that you have a reference point to which to return if everything goes wrong.

The best results are obtained with special equipment using a spectrum analyser costing €3.000 or more but, believe it nor not, I have seen so called professional satellite installers using the system described by Hillybilly. :shock:

If you wish I can PM you the telephone number of someone who has the proper equipment, who does the job properly and covers your area and, although I have the equipment, it's not me because I only do it as a hobby. :wink:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:48 pm

You killjoys you! It's a great afternoon's entertainment keeping your OH up on the roof while you shout "left a bit....no, right a bit...."!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: "Tweaking" a Satellite Dish

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:25 pm

Alan-LaCala wrote:Since the high winds of a few weeks ago we have had difficulty getting Channel 4 in the evening. Until then it had generally been fine, except if the weather was very bad.
From what I have read on the various Sat forums, there is a problem with the C4 transponder at the moment.

It should get corrected automatically at some point. Until then, we have no signal at all whereas before we had it 24/7.

C5, which was always a problem in the late evening, is still about the same.

Sid

pmb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pmb » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:48 pm

El Cid - have you tried CH5 on the south beam 12.422 H 27500 2/3 comes up as 7505

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:33 am

After paying someone with a fancy bit of equipment to install our dish originally, I got fed up with the variable reception for CH4 so got up there and "tweaked" it myself - 30 seconds fiddling and signal strength & quality better than ever. Still can't get CH5 at night mind you.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:29 am

pmb wrote:El Cid - have you tried CH5 on the south beam 12.422 H 27500 2/3 comes up as 7505
Thanks for that but no I haven't tried that - mainly because there is nothing on C5 after 9pm that I want to watch!

I'd like C4 back though.

Sid

vindaloo1973
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby vindaloo1973 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:52 am

Some of my clients have tried and fix their problems themselves, but usually they make the problem worse.
I have been installing Sky Digital in Costa de la Luz/Costa del Sol for five years without the need of a spectrum analyser (the spectrum analyser does not see digital signals and that makes the job a lot harder) I use a meter that shows me the digital signals from 28.2º.
Positive things happen to positive people.