intruder alert, whats the deal, can i hurt them?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

intruder alert, whats the deal, can i hurt them?

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:33 pm

ok.. so we live in an area thats erm... not so good... so we've always been "on guard"... only now we've had little pikey gypsy neibours in the yard today, seen them climb over the wall and they were stood on top of my van having a look around...

so ..

can i hurt them if they are on my land? i've gotta walk past alot of tools to get outside, all my big metal breaker bars and jack handles and things.. what would happen to me if i found a pikey in the yard with one of my drills in his hand? if i were to "persuade" him to drop it via a metal bar.. what would happen to me ? would i be done for gbh? would i get in trouble ? whats the law in spain ?

extra... "what if" i was to purchase a 60€ air rifle to use for scaring said teenage deliquents.. what would happen if i "accidently" shot one?

posted by spanish lad, sitting in a rocking chair on the terrace, southern american "get off my land" styleee ;)

pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pirate » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 pm

Err, Try it, but dont forget to let us all know please
Snot me, stwiscki

Gin Monster
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: intruder alert, whats the deal, can i hurt them?

Postby Gin Monster » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:39 pm

spanish_lad wrote:what would happen to me if i found a pikey in the yard with one of my drills in his hand? if i were to "persuade" him to drop it via a metal bar.. what would happen to me ?
If you did a good enough job...who would know about it :wink: :wink:

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:54 pm

pirate wrote:Err, Try it, but dont forget to let us all know please
Do prisoners have access to the internet then in Spanish prisons? We might be in for a longish wait otherwise :lol:
Meg - Sunny by nature

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:28 am

Have you thought of getting a good guard dog? It doesn't sound a very nice place to live can't you get out? No-one should have to put up with such things.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:33 am

It's a pity that in this present climate of namby pamby human rights for offenders including terrorist murderers that an honest man can not protect the things he has worked for.
Unfortunately Span you would probably be charged for protecting your property if you quite understandably crippled the scum.
It would be no better or perhaps worse if you were in the UK as they would probably sue you and your taxes would pay for their legal aid to do so. :roll: :roll: :roll:

julian
Andalucia Guru

burglars

Postby julian » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:13 am

if they are gypsies then I would think twice before taking any action !!

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:17 am

According to Spanish law, you can only use extreme violence, ie shoot, stab etc a person if he or she is actually threatening your life.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 am

Sadly julian may well be right in his advice, but isn't it a sad reflection of our times that certain elements can continue being anti-social and the only advice we can give or are given is leave them alone, let them get on with it. In this particular case because they can be very intimidating and dangerous. We seem to be having the same attitude to disruption and anti social behavior in other areas too though, and that is why it proliferates and our society is degenerating.

pete_l
Resident

Re: intruder alert, whats the deal, can i hurt them?

Postby pete_l » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:39 am

spanish_lad wrote:only now we've had little pikey gypsy neibours in the yard today, seen them climb over the wall and they were stood on top of my van having a look around...
From a purely practical position, if you did hurt one/more of them and weren't prosectuted you should still expect retribution from them and their (extended?) family.
Personally I'd go for deterrence rather that violence. Put up barbed wire or high fences. Keep anything valuable out of sight. Your goal should make it harder for them to steal from you then it would be for them to steal from someone else (this may sound wishy-washy, but there's a moral here[1]).

Since you can't be guarding your property all the time (you've gotta sleep and go out from time to time) there will always be times when your property is vulnerable.

[1] The old joke about two explorers in the jungle, with a huge man-killer lion running towards them. One explorer starts running away. The other stops to put on his running shoes (don't ask where he got them). First explorer shouts back "you're wasting time, you'll never out-run a lion". The second explorer replies "I don't have to out-run the lion, I just have to out-run you".

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:41 pm

katy wrote:Have you thought of getting a good guard dog? It doesn't sound a very nice place to live can't you get out? No-one should have to put up with such things.
got a big dog, a very good guard dog, unfortunatly they guys round here carry hand guns and a barking dog would get shot :(

so if they come in with guns then thats the only time i can "harm" them..

is it worth attacking them?? or is it better to run out the door and call the police ?

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 pm

Move?????

To a nicer area!
Donna

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:11 am

doing a bit of DIY then moving to frigiliana or nerja.