4x4 recommendations

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

4x4 recommendations

Postby oscarposcar » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi

Our Kia Sportage has finally given up the ghost (rubbish car) so now it's time to find a replacement. Ideally we want something roughly the same size - what does anyone think of the Toyota Rav, Honda CRV or Land Rover Freelander? New or second hand?

Any tips appreciated including any good second hand dealers in the Velez area.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:39 pm

Out of the options you listed I would go for a land rover freelander but the new one as it is much improved on previous models.

Otherwise have you thought about the land rover defender? Will last forever and not as uncomfortable as many say.

Also a 2nd hand discovery or range rover would also be good. As you can see im quite land rover bias but they are better looking, better built, last longer and are cheaper to service and maintain than japanese ones.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:50 pm

I agree a defender or dicovery, i also like the range rover so if cost is no problem that would be my first choice

casablanca
Tourist

Postby casablanca » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:59 pm

The Nissan X-Trail is worth a look - similar size, reasonable price and good write ups

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:03 pm

I have to mention the biggest problem with japanese cars is although they are cheap to buy the whole car wont last (Maybe mechanically it will) but the rest wont and the parts are much more expensive than european cars. Also in many tests it has shown the freelander to be most competent of all the soft roaders.

Really you should get whichever one you like best, take a drive in all of them

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:15 pm

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I have to disagree with daneinspain. I have a Mitsubishi Montero (Shogun) and that will outlast, out perform and be considerably cheaper to run than any Land Rover. The build quality is excellent and solidly constructed unlike Landies. This will be my third Mitzy and it's as good as the previous ones. I'll guarantee that Land rovers will spend more time in for repairs than most Japanese off-roaders.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:18 pm

They may spend more time but they cost less to repair and will indeed last longer over 70% of land rovers ever built are still on the road and whats more land rovers have soul.

This is a debate that has gone on since the dawn of time and will continue till the end

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:28 pm

oscarposcar:
Here's a good site with 'independant' reviews on all sorts of vehicles, might give you a better idea.

http://www.peachorlemon.co.uk/index.html

p.s have a read of the Freelander reviews, it might make you have a re-think !!

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:32 pm

Any review is going to be subjective...... really you can only trust yourself

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:33 pm

daneinspain wrote:They may spend more time but they cost less to repair and will indeed last longer over 70% of land rovers ever built are still on the road and whats more land rovers have soul.

This is a debate that has gone on since the dawn of time and will continue till the end
You've summed it up really Dane, who would want a car that spends more time in for repairs whether it's cheaper or not!! (again debatable).
As you say,each to his/her own, I guess there'll never be a definitive answer to this one.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:38 pm

Very true Dane, if you're happy with a vehicle and feel good about it and you only have yourself to please then go for it big time. (Unless of course its a Landy !!! :D :D :D :D :lol: tee-hee)

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:40 pm

Also I did say the new freelander which few if any have been sold yet as it has just come out therefore the reviews on that and any other site are likely to be on the old one which wasnt very good

Exactly, we could argue about it forever.... But thats an interesting site you posted and there are many similar ones like epinions.com others like what car that do reliability surveys which may help decide which vehicle to buy. I take a more frivilous approach and buy the car I want

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:14 pm

Personally I would buy a Jap 4x4. I have heard a few horror stories of engine failures in Landys, such as a bolt falling out inside the engine that stops the oil pump from working. A replacement diesel engine (new) is about £6K.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:31 pm

Difficult one because none of the vehichle you've listed are what I'd describe as 4x4s. Having said that, I'd probably avoid the Freelander because, although its the most capable of those listed off road they are notoriously unreliable.

A proper Land Rover, Defender onwards would be a good choice with plenty of cheap 'Santana' parts available in Spain and still probably the best off roader available. Range Rovers/Discos are equally capable off road but pricier to fix. Shogun, cheap as chips to fix but not quite as good off road and the ride is an acquired taste.

I have to say that most people seem to buy these type of vehicles in Spain without a genuine need for one. I appreciate Campo stylee tracks leading up to houses but I've yet to get stuck in hire cars such as Pandas/C2s etc.

Do you really need one?

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:38 pm

Do you need one is not the question its do you really want one?

Pro's: Better visibility, better crash protection (Generally), go anywhere, practical

Con's: More expensive to buy and maintain, ability to rollover easily, fuel consumption

Contrary to the current hype dreamed up by pathetic green eyed monster twits 4x4's arent generally worse for the environment than normal cars. Whats more 4x4's like land rovers, particularly the defender are cheap and easy to manufacture not using many plastics or complex fabrication and they last forever as I said 70% are still on the road. So really one must look at the big picture the total carbon footprint of the car.

Therefore when looking at it closely and properly you will see that lets take for example the "most environmentally friendly car" the hybrid toyota prius is very expensive and damaging to the environment to manufacture (due to technology and battery cell) and doesnt get better mpg than an opel corsa and is even worse for the environment to dispose of because of the battery cell. I know some may think im saying the world is round when many believe it is flat but in years to come you will see....

Whats more I dont believe we are damaging the environment causing global warming, it is actually a natural cycle the world goes through - think ice age and other ages....

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:52 pm

Re the defender I suppose it depends whether you want a hobby car that needs love and attention or something you just get in and drive. Maybe when I was a young man I would have liked tinkering but now I just want a car that works every time i.e. the least hassle option.

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:09 pm

Interesting to hear everyone's views. As to whether we need/want one - ideally I would prefer not to have to fork out for one as when they do go wrong they are so expensive to fix, but we do live up a 3k dirt track and even if not muddy, the extra height is needed. We have been incommunicado a few times in the last couple of years albeit briefly and with 2 small tots, I would sleep easier at night knowing we could get out/in whatever the weather!

julian
Andalucia Guru

defender

Postby julian » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

I have a defender, believe me, you just get in and it works everytime, and it doesn´t shake itself to bits like the japonese 4x 4´s do, I´ve tried them and gone back to the defender!!!

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

freelander

Postby gronc » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:05 pm

I bought a new Freelander 2.0 diesel last July. It is good on fuel and is a comfortable and nice car to drive, but I wish I had paid a bit more and bought an auto version because of the steep and bendy roads where I travel a lot. I also wish it had low range on the gearbox, otherwise its a nice car. My first choice would have been a small Toyota land Cruiser but they are a lot more expensive. I think it depends on the terrain you expect to drive on. The Freelander is a good compromise between a road car and an off roader. Don't buy a petrol Freelander because the engines over heat and blow the head gaskets, unless the latest model has improved.

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:28 am

Julian which defender 90 or 110 have you got and which colour? Ive got a dark grey V8 90 with soft top, maybe ive seen yours around