La Viñuela weather station warning

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:17 pm

Marina, we don't watch it but hope this link will help you catch up. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/casualty/storyupdates/

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:28 pm

That's what it looked like this morning!

Our friendly neighbourhood builder arrived at 8am and it was cleared away in an hour.

The Seat is bashed up a bit and the windsceen crushed. Linea Directa have been fantastic. One call to them and the claim was lodged. 2 minutes later I had a text message to say the grua was on the way.

2 minutes after he left, Linea Directa called to ensure that he had arrived on time and that it was all OK.

The free courtesy car is being delivered later.

The house insurance assessor is due this afternoon but I guess they are pretty busy!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:37 pm

Wow thats a mess :( Atleast things seem to be moving swiftly, hope its sorted soon.

Peteroldracer we have lost the signal every day this week at 11am. I accused my husband of catching the dish when he pruned some bushes!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:39 pm

Oh S**t!!!, Hope you get that sorted as hassle free as possible mate.

I don't think there's much down for our chairs which I cable tied to the Rejas when we left the place last September :!:

Kenny

GRANVILLE
Andalucia.com Amigo
Location: Rio Burmuza, Canillias de Aceituna near Velez Malaga

Postby GRANVILLE » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:33 pm

What happened in casualty;

One boy died.
One lost a leg
The girl lived with spinal injury
The paramedic male dumped the doctor for the other paramedic.
The female paramedic would'nt have him back.
Doctor left the hospital.

Role the credits tune in next week if the dishes are back working.
Thanks. Granville

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:35 pm

Glad we haven't had your bad luck El Cid. Hope it all works out good in the end.

We have just lost power again for an hour! Getting a bit of a pain now!

How long can a freezer be off for without spoiling the food?
Donna

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:45 pm

I think it's about 24 hours providing you don't open it.

If the contents does defrost, eat what has been already cooked and cook the rest as soups and stews and refreeze.

It's happened to us twice. The first time the freezer turned itself into an oven while we were on holiday. You can imagine what sort of a homecoming that was. :cry:

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:50 pm

Most of our freezer content is bread-we go through quite a lot in our house! Looks like it could be sarnies for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a couple of days!!! :lol:
Donna

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:54 pm

Sid, I feel for you! That is nightmare stuff. However the insurance seems to be working out.
Please keep us updated on the way it all works out.
Hope everything is fixed up real soon!
Colin

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:58 pm

Bread & Butter puddings (lots of them) and refreeze. :lol:

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:06 pm

safeashouses wrote:Bread & Butter puddings (lots of them) and refreeze. :lol:
Or just bread pudding...mmmmm!
Donna

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:09 pm

Hope you get sorted out Sid.

I had an electrical spike of about 320 volts yesterday evening where two phase cables had obviously touched. My UPSes protested by beeping for a few seconds but the electrical equipment seems to have survived. It was like a firework display all around the valley where the same thing was happening. Stand by for a load of reclamations, Sevillana!

Twice a year satellite reception is lost for several minutes around 11am. because the sun is directly behind the satellite.

See here for a discussion:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/s ... -9-am.html

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:18 pm

Beachcomber, I have a ups for my Laptop (inverter burnt out previously so invested in one last year). Can I run my router off of it too?
Donna

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:28 pm

El Cid wrote: Linea Directa have been fantastic.
You have my sympathy, Sid. Sounds like a fantastic response from the Red Phone people - I would love it if you could keep us up to date with how the claim went, as my insurance with Zurich is due soon, and although I am nervous about change and have heard some poor reports re Linea Directa, maybe if they do their job well they would be worth a quote!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:02 pm

Many thanks granville and safeashouses :)

Cid, so glad to hear your insurance company is doing what they are paid for. We use LD too and have always found them to be very helpful.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:32 pm

peteroldracer wrote:...have heard some poor reports re Linea Directa, maybe if they do their job well they would be worth a quote!
Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts.

I will keep you informed about the claims but I have to say the LD response was exactly the same for my previous 2 claims.

Now, the house insurance, that might be different! I know that some companies only cover wind damage if the wind speed is over 96km/h. luckily this does not seem to be the case with Allianz but anyway I have the proof from my weather station data. I see that the Vinuela station recorded 103km/hr early this morning.

We may well have had more as we are very exposed but the anemometer crashed at 8.30pm. At least we saw Casualty. We had many power cuts but the UPS kept the Digibox and HD recorder going.

Sid

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:43 pm

Attention all posters, will you all please be on the lookout for my car port and a 12 foot tall stralitza plant in a massive plastic pot. These items were last seen in Alhaurin el Grande yesterday afternoon and when I went out to get the cats in last night I awoke in Cadiz this morning!!!! Nice here isn't it?
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:46 pm

Donna and Paul wrote:Beachcomber, I have a ups for my Laptop (inverter burnt out previously so invested in one last year). Can I run my router off of it too?
Yes you can run any electronic equipment from it but you must be careful not to overload it. My UPSes come with software for connecting to the computer but cheaper ones may not have this facility. There is probably a pilot light that warns when you overload it.

Bear in mind that the more load you place on it the shorter the back up time will be but a router would draw very little power.

My cars are insured with Linea Directa and so would my house and apartment if they did it here. My house in the UK is insured by Direct Line but Linea Directa don't do house insurance although they have promised that it is on the cards.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:15 pm

OOOUCH! Sid! :shock:
Are you sure all those beams are yours???? You sure none of ours came your way :) How did the fruit trees bear up in the area. A year ago last November the trees were stripped of leaves, let alone fruit. I can't imagine it has done the blossom any good. Hopefully no one was injured?

P.S. apple charlotte, Summer pudding, raspings, croutons, melba toast................... and more sandwiches :wink:
Sandramay

marioreid
Tourist

Postby marioreid » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:37 pm

good luck to all those that had trouble with the high winds, i hope everything gets sorted out.
I too have been here for just over 4 yrs and never seen wind this bad, Sat man comes in the morning must be the only happy person with all this wind!!!
REgards
Mario

PS never leave your Gezebo out in high winds!!!
Always look on the bright side of life!!