Things that you hate about spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:53 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:
Rick
Rick, I like that idea and will deffo buy one. How much are they in the pound shop :?: :wink:

Kenny[/quote]

You get 5 for a pound so that works out at four shillings each.

Flippin ek, when I were a lad you could have a good night out for that.

What a rip off!

Rick

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:32 am

do cars in spain even have indicators ??? :evil:

do the people that drive english plated cars with no tax disk have insurance ? :evil:

do the people in the bank not know how to open a second "till" when the queue is out the door and in the street ? :evil:

do the factories have any idea how inconvienient it is to put off delivery, even by a day ? :evil:

does the town hall actually know where the water shut off valves for certain streets are ?? (called 4 different people / departments the other day and nobody could be bothered to look it up and all guessed wrong) :evil:

does anyone know how much a labourer costs per day in spain and not moan about it ?? :evil:

does everyone think that tradesmen cost penuts ? or do they think that they cost the same as the oddjob man that comes for an hour once a week?? :evil:

why are "drugs" (asprin, paracetamol, ibuprofen) so expensive compared to the uk? i know "tesco" have buying power and all that but surely mercadona could sell them???

why do you have to pay for contraceptive pills in spain ? surely they dont want a population explosion with all the brits getting drunk and laid at the weekends, surely it'd be better to give away a load of pills than have to take a lass to hospital in an ambulance an pop a baby out then be in hospital for weeks.. whats cheaper :?

why does the internet have to cost so much, if theres a nationwide "push" to get everyone to get online, why not make it cheaper ? what "we" in spain are paying 40€ a month for you would pay £9.99 for in the uk.

why are there no free text messages in spain? people still use the phone in the uk, the phone companies (orange, 02 etc) in the uk still make billions per year.. why dont the spanish companies follow suit?

to transfer a car to spanish plates, why is there a big "tax" to pay when you do it, surely, as contested by the belgian guy in court, there is no "need" or "use" in paying this tax?

why do the binmen come round at 1am and wake everyone up?

why do the lager louts come over here and cause troube and drink till they fall over and watch football and shout and be loud ?? just cos the beer is cheap and the sun is out, i think it goes to their heads. does anyone realise that a pint of beer is actually cheaper in the uk ?? a pint of castlemaine 4xxxx in liverpool looking over the sea is only £1.60. a pint of fosters in my old "local" is only £1.75. it must be the sun, gets to their shaved heads and fries their brains...

oh i'm sure theres more but i really cant think, its nearly 2am and i have to be at work by 8. lol..

Gin Monster
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Gin Monster » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:39 am

apart from the above...everythings hunky dory then? :lol: :lol:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:59 am

lol, everything is fine and dandy, it was a question asked so i answered it like everyone else who has posted on this thread.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:21 am

It seems that people think they are talking about Spain when, in fact, what they are really talking about is Andalucía.

It is said that the rest of the population of Spain live to work whilst the andaluces work to live. Spanish relations in Barcelona were horrified when we told them we were going to live in Andalucía!

I don't really mind living in a third world region with all its trials and tribulations, I just wish they wouldn't charge first world prices. :(

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:55 am

Beachcomber
It seems that people think they are talking about Spain when, in fact, what they are really talking about is Andalucía.
Good point :!:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Heston
Resident

dislikes

Postby Heston » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:05 pm

I think we all need to remember that no matter what wether we live here full time or not we are all still guests in the Country and must accept the way things are ( Its a pity the large amount of "guests" in the UK dont do the same instead of trying to change everything!)

There are things I dont like here like the treatment of animals and bull fighting....I have and will continue to help any animal I find in distress however way I can..but as for bull fighting its a tradition..i personally dont like it but aint gunna start campaigning to stop it..I may live here and pay my taxes but I am still a guest. I am not a prisoner and can leave anytime I choose...if i get to a stage where I dont like it anymore i will leave just like I did with the UK.

On a lighter note I get annoyed when Brits move Inland and especially into the Campo then moan no one speaks English! Or even more frustrating when a Brit starts talking louder and louder as if the spanish shop owner will understand him more because he is shouting!!!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

and theres a lot to be said for having mains gas why does it always go when your in the middle of a shower!But I choose to live here and just get on with it
:D

bored to tears
Tourist

Postby bored to tears » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:10 pm

On a lighter note I get annoyed when Brits move Inland and especially into the Campo then moan no one speaks English! Or even more frustrating when a Brit starts talking louder and louder as if the spanish shop owner will understand him more because he is shouting!!!
that's not unique to us Brits, I frequently get the same reaction from Spanish friends someone will repeat a joke VERY LOUDLY and Slowly to make sure I understand it :lol:

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Re: dislikes

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:10 pm

Heston wrote:

I find that apart from increasing the volume, if you wave your arms about a lot and add an "o" on to everything, you should be ok.

Heston
Resident

dislikes

Postby Heston » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:27 pm

Bored to tears

I know what you mean or they resort to poking you!

And I know people who surive adding O to everything!!

JohnP
Tourist

Postby JohnP » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:32 pm

I hate the way litter is thrown about too but isn't it a bit like the UK 30 years ago before the "Keep Britain Tidy" campaign and poor old Ronnie Corbet disappearing under a pile of rubbish (or am I just dreaming that!)
The Brits were then slowly educated, this is what is required in Spain, they need educating, Spain is years behind in a few things but isn't that what we love about the place?
I think a lot of people would agree the UK was probably a better place 20 years ago, do we want Spain to be the same as the UK is now??

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:44 pm

Noise, noise, noise!!

Why do conversations in Spanish have to be shouted? Why do ****erels (or as this site likes to call them "male hens") crow in the middle of the night rather than at dawn? Why do dogs bark incessantly? Why do motor cycles have to driven without silencers? :x

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:55 pm

heston said
......we are all still guests in the Country ....
Sorry to question what you say but, are we guests or are we here "of right" as both Spain and the UK are members of the EU? Personally, I take the view we have, under EU membership, as much right to live here as Spaniards and citizens of other EU member countries have to live in the UK. I would only regard myself as a "guest" in a country where I have no automatic right of abode such as the USA, Australia, Canada etc.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:06 pm

Well put Bob and totally correct in my opinion.

Kenny

Heston
Resident

dislikes of Spain

Postby Heston » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:23 pm

The point i was trying to make masterob and campo Kenny was that despite being in the EU we are still not native to the country and so we have to respect and get on with things that have been tradition for years. Before leaving Britain the blue chip company i worked for started employing some eastern Europeans ( who now are in the EU too) and suddenly we were not allow to put Christmas decorations up or Happy Christmas signs incase we offended them. Last time I check the Uk was a christian country and celebrated christian festivals..and I for one was not happy to have our none native fellow Europeans dictating to me if I could put up Christmas decorations..... when in Rome and all that...and I was trying to apply the same theory to expats living in Spain because thats what we are Expats not Spaniards even though we all fall under the EU banner. :D

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:30 pm

I knew where you were coming from Heston and for what it's worth I don't dissagree with you to a point.

It's just that I think if you tend to "walk under the carpet" in a place where you are paid up and entitled to be it works against you.

Kenny

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:35 pm

Ex-pats don't come to Spain and try to stop local fiestas do they? Thats tosh! If you pay your taxes (inflated) in a country, you are not a guest, I am a citizen of spain and if something doesn't suit me I shall complain and I do not expect to be told to get back to where I come from...ya ya.

Heston
Resident

dislike of Spain

Postby Heston » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:59 pm

Katy you misunderstand me i didnt say Ex pats come to Spain and try and stop Fiestas I was refering to England and like you I am a tax payer and if some one does me an injustice i will cmplain ( mainly the Guardia fining you for nothing!)..I was just trying to say I too am a citizen of Spain but I am not Spanish
x :D

daneinspain
Resident

Postby daneinspain » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:49 pm

One has the right to live here and complain but:

If for example you find the way the spanish treat their animals terrible, you as a foreigner have no right to do anything about it nor complain to the person as it has been going on in spain for years and is quite the way it is. You cant go to a country and tell them how to do things.

You can complain about the phone not working, things not arriving on time, things like that but in my opinion you cannot as I say come to a country and tell them how to do things

Heston
Resident

hate in Spain

Postby Heston » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:56 pm

My point daneinspain exactly!